terrible horibble miss

soundwaves

took a shot at 375 meters at an angle of 50-60 degreez vertical at an ibex and l missed 5 minutes later a nother ibex apeard at 600 meters. this was a 9 year old one so took a shot at that one to and missed again :)

l use a docter 3-12-56 rifle scope without target turrets. the animal looks too small after 300 meters. lm planing to buy a new rifle scope. what should l buy?

l personaly am thinking of nightforce 12-42-56. what do you think. 12-42-56 too much? should l go with the zeiss 6-24-56 insted?

If your just holding over, then a scope built to dial would be good. The optics you mentioned are way to much IMO and will cause you grief if something is close, I've shot game a lot small a lot farther with the optic at 10X but dialing all I have to do is put the cross hair where I want the bullet! If you miss you need to figure out why before leaving the spot and I shoot an other shot at a rock or something to confirm why I missed. More shooting is better than anything, you will see a lot of guys going out and shooting rocks to practice ranging and doping LR hunting type shots, it's good practice!!

As stated above, and in a another post, you are are trying to figure your clicks.Since your scope is mil, think in mil and not clicks. I noticed you did not have drops listed for cartridge. You need to start there, then field verify with practice,you will also need some type of angle or cosine devise and get familar with it for those extreme angles.

again, scope is not your problem.

i've shot small pieces of clay birds at 940yds with my nightforce set on 10x

took a shot at 375 meters at an angle of 50-60 degreez vertical at an ibex and l missed 5 minutes later a nother ibex apeard at 600 meters. this was a 9 year old one so took a shot at that one to and missed again :)

l use a docter 3-12-56 rifle scope without target turrets. the animal looks too small after 300 meters. lm planing to buy a new rifle scope. what should l buy?

l personaly am thinking of nightforce 12-42-56. what do you think. 12-42-56 too much? should l go with the zeiss 6-24-56 insted?

How high of a hold did you take at 375 meters. And what is your zero range? What cartrige/bullet are you shooting?

l used the 150 grain power shock 7mm rem mag. l have a scope that has 4 lines under the actual crosshairs l aimed between the 1st and 2rd lines. if you know wht l meen. when shooting at 300 meters the bullet lands 7 cm above the first line. did l aim a bit too high?

Do you have any idea how angle shooting affects your trajectory...? Did you varify the range using a LRF? Only the horizontal distance to the target matters. A 50/60 degrees incline/decline is extremely steep... How did you measure this? Definetely sounds like you need practice, not a nightforce.

unfortunatly yes, At the angle you stated you should have held center chest with the top line. Effective bullet drop was likly in the range of a 200-220 meter shot.

no my lepold range finder said actual distance 375 meters and 350 meters for shooting for that angle. so l did what it said...

no my lepold range finder said actual distance 375 meters and 350 meters for shooting for that angle. so l did what it said...

50 to 60 degrees is very steep. You would not be able to stand up on a slope that steep.
Either you got the slope angle wrong or your rangefinder is wrong.
50 to 60 degrees over 375 m reduces to 220 to 240 m with a rough angle of 50 to 60 degrees. Not 350 m!

To get a distance reduction from 375 m to 350 m the slope would be only about 21 degrees.

I hate to say it but im guessing your rangefinder was feeding you the wrong info. In my opinion and its an expensive one. I would look at getting a 5.5-22NXS and a lieca 1200 and learn how to dial

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.