Terrible being a southpaw

Clem Bronkoski

Even in this day and age. Way back when I first started hunting the only LH rifles available were from Savage or Weatherby and I sure couldn't afford a Weatherby!
Today the market has a good deal more. But we still have our problems. I really wanted to get a Tikka T3x CTR in left hand and in 6.5 CM. Two of my dealers couldn't find one. I sent an email off to Beretta only to find out that this rifle is not available in the US! Well that sucks. A bit of searching and I found something very interesting that I think I'll like and IS available. A Begara B-14 HMR. (b14s352l) in 6.5 CM. I already have a set of rings and mounts for it because it takes Rem 700 bases and a Zeiss 4-14X scope for it. I'll pick it up when I get back to PA next month.

I have a son who is going to probably have to shoot lefty, and I am surprised at how little lefty stuff is available today.

I have my eye on a tikka t3 hunter in 6.5x55 for him. I wish you could top feed a tikka, that is my only complaint.

Yep, about all the factory rifles I wouldn't mind trying out are right hand only. That or they seem to only have made 1 lefty, if any ever at all! On a wait list at the local gun store for a LH Bergara HMR .300 WinMag.
The Tikka CTR 6.5 my buddy has is an awesome shooting rifle, would love to have one in LH. Maybe the only way I'd get a CM.:D

morning, I also am left handed. I grew up shooting rt. handed
rifles. I am very accustomed to working the action of rt. handed
firearms. Looking into the receiver when ejecting a fired
casing is to my advantage. I can work a rt hand action faster
than a left hand. I have 2 left hand rifles out of 20 +.
the left hand rifles r very cumberson to work the action.
all my rifles r customs. I bought or traded for parts to
build my rifles. I bought a short ruger action, no
bolt. I waited over 2 years to find a bolt to fit the
action. sold the completed action. I do not agree to being left handed is a
hinderance. that is a mind hinderance not a
physical hinderance. justme gbot tum

morning, I also am left handed. I grew up shooting rt. handed
rifles. I am very accustomed to working the action of rt. handed
firearms. Looking into the receiver when ejecting a fired
casing is to my advantage. I can work a rt hand action faster
than a left hand. I have 2 left hand rifles out of 20 +.
the left hand rifles r very cumberson to work the action.
all my rifles r customs. I bought or traded for parts to
build my rifles. I bought a short ruger action, no
bolt. I waited over 2 years to find a bolt to fit the
action. sold the completed action. I do not agree to being left handed is a
hinderance. that is a mind hinderance not a
physical hinderance. justme gbot tum
Just - I also shoot RH rifles but unlike you I really like the LH versions. And trying to shoot a RH bolt with an adjustable cheek piece would be really awkward with the designs. You want to try a slick action try the Tikka T3 LH. I have one in 30-06 and a few years ago I shot a moose with a straight on frontal shot. I hustled up to where he went into the woods and caught him just inside. Two fast shots into the lung area put him down for good. My friend heard the shots and thought someone was shooting a semi-auto I had cycled the bolt that fast.

Yep, about all the factory rifles I wouldn't mind trying out are right hand only. That or they seem to only have made 1 lefty, if any ever at all! On a wait list at the local gun store for a LH Bergara HMR .300 WinMag.
The Tikka CTR 6.5 my buddy has is an awesome shooting rifle, would love to have one in LH. Maybe the only way I'd get a CM.:D
Tikkas are a fine rifle. My T3 shoots great and has the slickest bolt I ever handled. First time out I had to do a double check to see if it picked up a round from the magazine.

Lefty here....been hunting and shooting for close to 40 years, I've never fired a left handed rifle! Learned on RH, never looked back. I'll have to pick one up someday just to try it out.
Now I do have some serious complaints about holster selection....:(
Oh man Levers you got to try one. Especially a Tikka. They're slicker than snot on a door knob! BTW, I like levers too. I think I have 8 or 10 from .22 lr up to .45-70

Country,
Never said being lefty is a hindrance, just that the industry needs to catch up.:D
I grew up shooting right handed rifles too (not much choice) and all my issued weapons are right hand (no choice in the matter). For my ELR rifles (and ones shot mostly prone and over tripod setups) I prefer a right handed rifle, for much of the reasons you stated. When hunting I much preferred to be able to work the bolt and not break position for a quick follow up shot if needed. No way I can break position, run the bolt, re- acquire the target, and then make an accurate shot as fast as I can just run the bolt and re-engage.
Easier to sell a right handed rifle, seems there is more of a market for them.:D

Oh man Levers you got to try one. Especially a Tikka. They're slicker than snot on a door knob! BTW, I like levers too. I think I have 8 or 10 from .22 lr up to .45-70

Now you are talking! I just need you to help present it to my CFO.....she just doesn't seem to have the same values as me when it comes to new rifles!
I have hunted with my buddy's T3 in .260....they are very slick rifles
I love all my bolt guns and modern rifles but there isn't anything quite like stalking the woods or riding fence with a good lever action carbine. I'm setting up a 336 in 35 Rem with express sights for porkers this winter

Country,
Never said being lefty is a hindrance, just that the industry needs to catch up.:D
I grew up shooting right handed rifles too (not much choice) and all my issued weapons are right hand (no choice in the matter). For my ELR rifles (and ones shot mostly prone and over tripod setups) I prefer a right handed rifle, for much of the reasons you stated. When hunting I much preferred to be able to work the bolt and not break position for a quick follow up shot if needed. No way I can break position, run the bolt, re- acquire the target, and then make an accurate shot as fast as I can just run the bolt and re-engage.
Easier to sell a right handed rifle, seems there is more of a market for them.:D

That is a good point for quick follow up shots.

got a lefty Ruger mark11 back in the early 90's and shot it til I built my Rem action rifle (one in avatar) FWIW I find it easier and a lot less headaches trying to track down a LH rifle to just build one, and you get everything you want...the do make left hand stocks for right hand rifles Rem actions anyway (ebay)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.