Terrible being a southpaw

Left eye dominant but right handed. Savage 110 in .270 Win was the only left handed rifle available in the store 50 years ago and I still have it. Made a few cosmetic improvements over the years as well and changed a barrel few times. After 45 years finally build full custom .280 AI LEFT of course! Tikka action, Benchmark tube, McMillan stock Swaro 3 1/2 x 18 x 44 BT. Love it so much I used to sleep with it for a month! Just went to 1,000 Y range first time (drive 450Km each way! - and well worth it).

Last edited:
Left eye dominant but right handed. Savage 110 in .270 Win was the only left handed rifle available in the store 50 years ago and I still have it. Made a few cosmetic improvements over the years as well and changed a barrel few times. After 45 years finally build full custom .280 AI LEFT of course on Tikka action, Benchmark tube, McMillan stock. Love is so much I used to sleep with it for a month!

Wish I could find a SS lefty magnum tikka action to build a PRC.

Roy

Even in this day and age. Way back when I first started hunting the only LH rifles available were from Savage or Weatherby and I sure couldn't afford a Weatherby!
Today the market has a good deal more. But we still have our problems. I really wanted to get a Tikka T3x CTR in left hand and in 6.5 CM. Two of my dealers couldn't find one. I sent an email off to Beretta only to find out that this rifle is not available in the US! Well that sucks. A bit of searching and I found something very interesting that I think I'll like and IS available. A Begara B-14 HMR. (b14s352l) in 6.5 CM. I already have a set of rings and mounts for it because it takes Rem 700 bases and a Zeiss 4-14X scope for it. I'll pick it up when I get back to PA next month.
I am a southpaw, but luckily right eye dominant. My son is the opposite and I just started him out shooting left handed. Savage has been our friend. Offerings are limited, but we usually find something that works. We can always rebarrel them on the cheap in the future. Enjoy your bergara. I have a premier approach and love it.

I too am a southpaw, however as it's been previously stated, finding a left handed rifle is difficult. So I ended up teaching myself to shoot right handed, spent a lot of time at the range with my 22LR and it did take me a bit, then I moved to a large caliber rifle, but now have no issues shooting right handed.

At 10 I had my '94, great for a lefty, I never noticed. At 14 I bought MY own new rifle, an '06 BAR. Not real accurate but........ . Then I bought a Ruger 7mm RH bolt, never could get off a quick second shot. After telling myself it's ok to splurge on a LH, fairly accurate rifle in the 90's (the wisdom of age) and to take my time on my shot I now have a LH 700 that runs circles around all the previous rifles I have had.
When we are shooting the pew pew pew AR's my buddies ask if the cases flying in front of my face bother me, I tell them I never notice them, and I don't.
I've never been bothered by the AR's either but I did get my cheek cut pretty good with a 308 case out of an HK91.....brass deflector a must for us south paws!

At 10 I had my '94, great for a lefty, I never noticed. At 14 I bought MY own new rifle, an '06 BAR. Not real accurate but........ . Then I bought a Ruger 7mm RH bolt, never could get off a quick second shot. After telling myself it's ok to splurge on a LH, fairly accurate rifle in the 90's (the wisdom of age) and to take my time on my shot I now have a LH 700 that runs circles around all the previous rifles I have had.
When we are shooting the pew pew pew AR's my buddies ask if the cases flying in front of my face bother me, I tell them I never notice them, and I don't.
I've never been bothered by the AR's either but I did get my cheek cut pretty good with a 308 case out of an HK91.....brass deflector a must for us south paws!

I think you'll encounter the many lefties, like myself, that just shoot RH guns.
It may be a factor to the AR guys but has never been an issue for me.

Most of us grew up shooting right-handed rifles because we had no other choice and we adapted. I was the same. From a bench or shooting prone, it is easy and very handy for a lefty to work the bolt on a right-handed rifle. Shooting offhand or in other positions we often find ourselves in while in the field makes it much harder.

A few years ago, I had a left-handed bolt rifle built. For hunting, that is my preference, as it allows me to throw the bolt faster and get back on target more quickly if needed. This is particularly true for a dangerous game rifle.

Lefty here....been hunting and shooting for close to 40 years, I've never fired a left handed rifle! Learned on RH, never looked back. I'll have to pick one up someday just to try it out.
Now I do have some serious complaints about holster selection....:(

Actually... there is something worse. Being right handed with a dominant left eye and possibly the beginnings of macular degeneration in my right.

I'm a lefty but right eye dominant and I do most everything as a righty. But a few years ago I scratched my r eye. I'd like to try shooting lefty but its definitely not natural to me.

I'm left handed but my first rifle was a Remington 660. I shot it for years left handed reaching across the top to work the bolt. I actually got very good at it too. Now I buy Savage with top bolt release and Accutrigger and build my own rifles in whatever caliber that I get a fancy for that day. All of them are great shooters.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.