Sunday funday

When I was just starting at Garret AiResearch in the late 70's, we were trying to get the M1 Abrams tank engine contract. Instead of just running in the test cell, we thought road testing between our sister plant in L.A. would be a good test.
We slipped that gas turbine into a Mack truck attached to, get this, a special designed Allison 4 speed automatic.
We pulled 80,000 pounds around like it was nothing. Raced a few semi's on the road from the old rest stop near Table Mesa on I-17 up to Sunset Point. Story was the Airesearch driver Bob Booth radioed the semi when he reached the exit at Sunset Point and it was 15 minutes later the semi showed up.
On a gas turbine shafted engine it's strength is in the torque. I want to say it would spool up over 10,000 FT pounds easy at 26,000 RPM.
Bob said that if you put it up to a big block wall and mashed the throttle it would either burn the tires off or obliterate the wall.
Unfortunately Mack was bringing in electronic injector diesel engines which improved economies and decided not to pursue a commercial turbine truck and Lycoming won the Abrams engine contract.
30 years later we bought all of Lycomings gas turbine business.
That gas turbine could run on any liquid fuel, anywhere.

That's awesome.
I would love to see such a setup.

My wife drives a eco boost Sport f150 with a 5.0, with both unhitched we get the same mpg and that's with my f250 lugging around a 100gallon tank in the bed.
When we are hitched to trailers is where my diesel shines, pulling a 22' trailer a 6000lb tractor I average about 15.5mpg, hers pulling a 16' trailer with 2000lbs of seed gets right around 11mpg.
So here's is a 5.0?

That's awesome.
I would love to see such a setup.
The driver got so many requests from fellow truckers at rest stops. It was unusual to see and hear. The rectangular exhaust stacks of the cabover truck were polished so well. The only downside mentioned in the article was the massive amount of air rushing in was noisy. I remember it wasn't too bad but definitely could hear it.

The driver got so many requests from fellow truckers at rest stops. It was unusual to see and hear. The rectangular exhaust stacks of the cabover truck were polished so well. The only downside mentioned in the article was the massive amount of air rushing in was noisy. I remember it wasn't too bad but definitely could hear it.
That is some cool stuff! Thank you for sharing that!

My 2005 F250 6.0 power stroke with 225000 miles gets about 22 mpg with 35" Goodyear duratracks whether pulling a trailer or not . I did put a tuner on it but run it at economy setting ( bought it to recalibrate for tire size ) . However the wife's eco boost expedition (2021) is like lightning in sport mode !

Did you test drive the 4 cylinder 2.7 turbo? Those are supposed to be a very amazing motor. I wasn't sure about them with the sliding cam and what I thought was cheap designs. But I was wrong they seem to be very solid and make great power. Just not sure what they get for mpg.
We have a 23 Silverado with the 4 cylinder 2.7 turbo. I'm sure not an expert but would say they have good power. We use it to pull our 16 ft crestliner boat and our ranger sxs. Not pulling we average around 25 mpg. Pulling knocks it down to around 19. One thing I do wish to point out is that we aren't speed demons. Travel down the road 60-65 mph.

We have a 23 Silverado with the 4 cylinder 2.7 turbo. I'm sure not an expert but would say they have good power. We use it to pull our 16 ft crestliner boat and our ranger sxs. Not pulling we average around 25 mpg. Pulling knocks it down to around 19. One thing I do wish to point out is that we aren't speed demons. Travel down the road 60-65 mph.
That's still pretty good. Love to hear how the long term plays out. Everyone had horror stories of the ecoboost. How it would break and never work. Turned out to be one of the most durable motors ford has ever build.

My wife drives a eco boost Sport f150 with a 5.0, with both unhitched we get the same mpg and that's with my f250 lugging around a 100gallon tank in the bed.
When we are hitched to trailers is where my diesel shines, pulling a 22' trailer a 6000lb tractor I average about 15.5mpg, hers pulling a 16' trailer with 2000lbs of seed gets right around 11mpg.

You're happy with your truck great but Ford never made a 5.0 EcoBoost. The 5.0 is a naturally aspirated v8 that is a very good and efficient for its size.

Diesels are great for pulling they have way more compression and when turbocharged they start to make very good power and it's because the fuel used can handle the higher compression.

Now say you and you're wife pull loads for 200 miles, her at 11 miles per gallon and you at 15.5 miles per gallon with todays average prices on fuel you in your diesel will save $4.27 not a lot of difference.

Now go to maintenance and up keep the diesel is going to eat up any savings and cost you way more to keep up. Then look at any mechanical repairs.

I don't do a lot of diesel work have a buddy that does was over at his shop a while back when his customer came to pick up a truck. Had a problem with the injection pump, had to replace the whole injection system. The bill was $10,000.

Now I do like diesel's and think they have their place but for me all I pull is a loaded car trailer and the cost of diesel just doesn't make sense.

You're happy with your truck great but Ford never made a 5.0 EcoBoost. The 5.0 is a naturally aspirated v8 that is a very good and efficient for its size.

Diesels are great for pulling they have way more compression and when turbocharged they start to make very good power and it's because the fuel used can handle the higher compression.

Now say you and you're wife pull loads for 200 miles, her at 11 miles per gallon and you at 15.5 miles per gallon with todays average prices on fuel you in your diesel will save $4.27 not a lot of difference.

Now go to maintenance and up keep the diesel is going to eat up any savings and cost you way more to keep up. Then look at any mechanical repairs.

I don't do a lot of diesel work have a buddy that does was over at his shop a while back when his customer came to pick up a truck. Had a problem with the injection pump, had to replace the whole injection system. The bill was $10,000.

Now I do like diesel's and think they have their place but for me all I pull is a loaded car trailer and the cost of diesel just doesn't make sense
That's what I was getting at. 5.0 or actually ecoboost.

Not to mention you should see people argue when I say all things equal a gas engine will beat a diesel. What I mean is displacement, turbos, and quality of engine components. Gas wins everytime except economy. And with diesel being so much more it's not saving a ton.
Like them though cause I'm still stuck in the days of the older diesel that would run on any fuel and never seem to break. Now and days they are no more reliable than gas jobs.

I agree that the economics side of the equation point to the gassers being the better option for most. It all depends on the frequency and size of the load.

In Victors example, the load he pulls with his F250 would be a no-go behind the half ton so the comparison in mileage is really apples to oranges.

I have 2 diesels and a gasser, all heavy 3/4 ton or one ton. Which one I grab depends entirely on what I'm pulling.
When I'm pulling our 28' fifthwheel camper the Cummins doesnt seem to notice it's back there. The gasser would struggle on even the smallest hill.

Only difference is mine will go when the gas is pressed. Just a bummer my last one got hit at 374k miles and was going strong. I wanted to see how long it would last.
Just curious. How often and how heavy of towing do you do, Snox?
That's incredidle longevity either way but I'd be especially impressed if you tow frequently and/or heavy loads.
Was the engine or trans ever gone through in those miles?
I tried to talk my wife into an ecoboost but she doesn't want that big an outfit.

When I got my first diesel in 2001 , fuel cost $1.31 a gallon for years . Then when it jumped up it only keep on going . Which is kind of funny because it is a by product .

When I got my first diesel in 2001 , fuel cost $1.31 a gallon for years . Then when it jumped up it only keep on going . Which is kind of funny because it is a by product .
I bought my first diesel in about '95 and always wondered the same thing. Diesel SHOULD be cheaper and was for a long time, but for whatever reason it isn't anymore.