Sunday funday

The deleted powerstrokes and duramax are nice.
I have never had a Cummins so I don't know anything about them.
One thing that I do like about the duramax is the ability to run on alternative fuel, it can run a 50/50 mix when the powerstroke doesn't like anything more than a 75/25 mix, at least mine doesn't.

Fords only have enough power to break one tire loose 🤣
You must have missed the second truck in the video. Both tires indeed spin. And spin and spin.

Attachments

• IMG_4760.png
    IMG_4760.png
    308.3 KB · Views: 10
The deleted powerstrokes and duramax are nice.
I have never had a Cummins so I don't know anything about them.
One thing that I do like about the duramax is the ability to run on alternative fuel, it can run a 50/50 mix when the powerstroke doesn't like anything more than a 75/25 mix, at least mine doesn't.
I don't think I could ever go to a diesel after owning a ecoboost. My business partner has one. I get about 2-3 mpg better empty than he does and he gets about that same amount better pulling.

Only difference is mine will go when the gas is pressed. Just a bummer my last one got hit at 374k miles and was going strong. I wanted to see how long it would last. I was betting like everything in Michigan the drivetrain will last longer than the rest of the truck

Just purchase a new GMC with the 3.0 Duramax diesel and loving the fuel mileage. 25 on the average in town and 31 on the highway.
Pretty incredible we can get that with these trucks. I found the key with these ecoboost is use the trq and get the 3:31 rear end. Both mine and my dads get 28-29 hwy 22-23 around town.
Well that was until I put bigger heavy tires on mine and went to e85. Now I'm at 18 hwy 15 city. But love the power and filling my tank for $60 instead of $150 for 93

Just purchase a new GMC with the 3.0 Duramax diesel and loving the fuel mileage. 25 on the average in town and 31 on the highway.
Did you test drive the 4 cylinder 2.7 turbo? Those are supposed to be a very amazing motor. I wasn't sure about them with the sliding cam and what I thought was cheap designs. But I was wrong they seem to be very solid and make great power. Just not sure what they get for mpg.

Pretty incredible we can get that with these trucks. I found the key with these ecoboost is use the trq and get the 3:31 rear end. Both mine and my dads get 28-29 hwy 22-23 around town.
Well that was until I put bigger heavy tires on mine and went to e85. Now I'm at 18 hwy 15 city. But love the power and filling my tank for $60 instead of $150 for 93
What is "trq" ?

I have a ecoboost 4x4 with the 3.55's and get an average of 16-18. I can get 21 if it's 100% highway miles and I'm easy on the throttle-- but I get 9-12 when I pull a big trailer

Wish I could afford to upgrade to a diesel

Did you test drive the 4 cylinder 2.7 turbo? Those are supposed to be a very amazing motor. I wasn't sure about them with the sliding cam and what I thought was cheap designs. But I was wrong they seem to be very solid and make great power. Just not sure what they get for mpg.
Nope. I had my mind set on the "Baby Duramax"

What is "trq" ?

I have a ecoboost 4x4 with the 3.55's and get an average of 16-18. I can get 21 if it's 100% highway miles and I'm easy on the throttle-- but I get 9-12 when I pull a big trailer

Wish I could afford to upgrade to a diesel
So my dad's first one was a 3.55 and got about what you did. But these engines are designed to make 80percent torque "trq" at 1600 rpm.

Your towing unfortunately stays the same with any gearing. I also get 9-12 towing its eco or boost. Not both.

I have no future desire to get a diesel after owning these. The get better mpg towing and that's about it. But even with as much as a I tow I don't think I could justify the higher fuel cost, oil changes, and 12k price from the start. I did test drive the 3.0 power stroke, dodge eco diesel before I bought but boy they sure felt sluggish and slow. And the mpg gap seems to have been closed with the new 10 speeds.

When I was just starting at Garret AiResearch in the late 70's, we were trying to get the M1 Abrams tank engine contract. Instead of just running in the test cell, we thought road testing between our sister plant in L.A. would be a good test.
We slipped that gas turbine into a Mack truck attached to, get this, a special designed Allison 4 speed automatic.
We pulled 80,000 pounds around like it was nothing. Raced a few semi's on the road from the old rest stop near Table Mesa on I-17 up to Sunset Point. Story was the Airesearch driver Bob Booth radioed the semi when he reached the exit at Sunset Point and it was 15 minutes later the semi showed up.
On a gas turbine shafted engine it's strength is in the torque. I want to say it would spool up over 10,000 FT pounds easy at 26,000 RPM.
Bob said that if you put it up to a big block wall and mashed the throttle it would either burn the tires off or obliterate the wall.
Unfortunately Mack was bringing in electronic injector diesel engines which improved economies and decided not to pursue a commercial turbine truck and Lycoming won the Abrams engine contract.
30 years later we bought all of Lycomings gas turbine business.
That gas turbine could run on any liquid fuel, anywhere.

Last edited:
I don't think I could ever go to a diesel after owning a ecoboost. My business partner has one. I get about 2-3 mpg better empty than he does and he gets about that same amount better pulling.

Only difference is mine will go when the gas is pressed. Just a bummer my last one got hit at 374k miles and was going strong. I wanted to see how long it would last. I was betting like everything in Michigan the drivetrain will last longer than the rest of the truck
My wife drives a eco boost Sport f150 with a 5.0, with both unhitched we get the same mpg and that's with my f250 lugging around a 100gallon tank in the bed.
When we are hitched to trailers is where my diesel shines, pulling a 22' trailer a 6000lb tractor I average about 15.5mpg, hers pulling a 16' trailer with 2000lbs of seed gets right around 11mpg.