Suggestions for first LRH gun?

i agree with the look for a used gun. lots of good deals can be had.

if i were buying something new, it would be a 338rum and put a super sniper scope on it.

best and cheapest 800 yard elk buster on this side of the water!

This is just a pet peeve of mine, but I am very leary of used rifles. Especially if you are looking for one that will shoot good out to 600 yards. The accuracy you are looking for requires some of the best possible factory barrels out there. For instance, I have a rem 700 (the first rifle I ever got) and the only reason I considered selling it was that the barrel was getting shot out. I suggest only purchasing a used rifle from someone who you know and trust. And no, most dealers don't scope their barrels, this would be counter productive for them (I am not trying to rip on any dealers out there, and more power to those of you who do bore scope your guns).

I too am also leary of used rifles. It is because of purchasing my first one as such that I am now in the market for a new one. Well, not quite in the market yet, as I am trying to make it shoot better, but have about ran out of options, except for buying a new scope. Will likely go with a Burris. Either signiture or black diamond series. But still open to suggestions. I am currently looking at either a savage 112VLP in 300win or Rem 700 SPS satinless in either 300win or RUM. Still not sure, and might go another route all together, but that is where I am leaning at this time.

Jerry

Jsut to update. I have decided to jump on a rem 700 LSS in 300 win, 26" barrel for $600 brand new with free bases. Will be ordering a Burris Sig. series 4-12x44 tomorrow as well, likely in Bplex. Just thought I'd let you all know. As a head start, any thoughts of loads for this? I am thinking about using acuubonds or sciroccos, but would like to try some of the off brand bullets that I hear everyone mention here. VLD, Berger and the rabbit bullets, I think. Well, thanks again for everything.

Jerry

Jerry,
Just curious - which stock did you select? I really like the looks of the stainless/grey lam. stock combo.

Trig, it is the one with the grey laminate stock. And the stainless action, of course.

Jerry

First of all you are asking for alot.
Id recomend a heavy barreled SS rifle, rem sendero, savage heavy, savage F/TR or 6.5X284 but your really want a 30 cal mag for what you stated

Metau, sounds like you got yourself a great rifle. You can't go wrong with a Remington rifle. When your financial situation is better, you can customise the Remington action almost as good a custom action.

Reloading information, try this load;

1. Brass-Norma 300 Winchester Magnum
2. Powder-78grns H4831
3. Federal 215 Match primer
4. Nosler 180grn Accubond (.507 BC)
5. Velocity with 26" barrel will be around 3200fps

He uses this load for ELK and Mule Deer with great success out to 600 to 800 yards. Start with 74grns of H4831 and work up to 78grns. My friend uses this load in his Remington 700 Sendero, and he gets 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. The .30 cal 180grn Accubond has an excellent BC (.507) and it anchors animals quickly.

For varminting and long range varminting try this load;

1. 84grns H4831
2. Federal 215 Match Primer
3. Nosler 125grn Ballistic Tip (.366 BC)
4. Velocity is around 3650fps out of 26" barrel

Start with 80grns of H4831 and work up to 84grns. My friend uses the above mentioned load out of the same Sendero. He loves this load for long range varmint hunting. When he hits varmints, with this bullets, it is absolutely devastating. It is also very accurate out to 1000 yards. I've have watched him use this load, and rifle, for varmint hunting and it made me want to design a rifle specifically around the 125grn Nosler Ballistic Tip for long range varminting. However, I am going to use a 300-WSM with a 30" 1-15 twist barrel which will allow me to push the bullet at 4000+fps.

You made a great choice for both Long range big game hunting and long range varmint hunting. Try the above mentioned loads when you get a chance and let me know how they work for you.

Also, you will be happy with your Burris scope.

I remeber my first long range varmint rifle. It was a Remington 700 ADL, chambered in 7mm Remington Mag. I bought it in 1991 for I think $450.00. My scope was a 6x20x40mm Nikon Monarch. I think I paid $400.00 for the scope. Total set up with ring and bases was right at about $1000.00 too. I used a 140grn Nosler ballistic Tip and shooting it at around 3300 fps. I have been hooked ever sence. I remeber guys, back then, looking at me like I was crazy for using a 7mm Remington Mag for varmint hunting. And know I think I was on to something back then. Anyhow, like I said, I was hooked.

Have fun, and keep us informed on how she shoots.

Jake

Cat,
Thanks for the load suggestions. I was curious about loads for the accubonds. Do you or your friend have any loads/suggestions/comments about the 200gr accubonds though? I noticed that on Noslers website they claim a .588 BC. I'm still new to all this, and am not sure what exactly BC stands for/means, other than the higher the number, the better the longer range accuracy. I also assume that H4831SC is the same as the non SC stuff as far as measurements go? And I know that I will love my Burris.

But now I have a few other questions. I have pretty much decided on going with Burris Signiture Rings, but am undecided as to what base to go with. What are the pros/cons of one vs. two piece bases? What would be a good and inexpensive moa base? Should I even worry about getting a sloped base at this point? If I do get a sloped base, how do I go about zeroing my rifle? With the signiture rings and thier inserts? Sorry for all of the questions, but I am just trying to do this right.

Jerry

ps- I will keep you all informed on how things go.

Think I would look at the Savage model 12 low profile in 300 WSM. Pretty much ready to go out of the box, 26" heavy barrel, pillared and good trigger. No need for extensive mods later one like a Remington. Basic action timing and maybe new lug.

Go to any double dovetail base with Burris signature rings with 20 MOA inserts ($75) and then good used Nikon scope.

You should be under or at $1000 and very good, accurate long range rig.

Norma cases, F210 primers, H4350 60-65 gr with anything up to 210 bullet.

That will shoot with anything else up to 1000 and longer.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.