Wanting suggestions on first rifle

A Remington is always my first choice. A 243 is really good at 1k target shoot, it has less drop and wind drift than a 6.5x284 at a 1k. And if ackley improved could give a 7mm wsm a run for it's money at a 1k. With much better barrel life.
Give that 7 em em wsm a 195 grain Berger EOL bullet with a .794 G1 B.C and run the ballistics. The 243 AI doesnt have a chance.

Give that 7 em em wsm a 195 grain Berger EOL bullet with a .794 G1 B.C and run the ballistics. The 243 AI doesnt have a chance.
Quite true... .gun)

And it won't be long before someone comes out with a 6.5 that runs right there with it.

We seem to get stuck sometimes thinking the latest and greatest today is still going to be the pinnacle of achievement a year or two down the road.

The question is what to buy for less than $1000.00 to shoot to 1000yrds. Rem700 completely disrespected the man by offering an argument about EOL chamberings suitable only for high dollar custom rifles. If he doesn't hand load the 6.5x284 isn't a good fit and thinking about it I had to back up a bit and recomend a 308 for factory loaded ammo that would be affordable for a guy with a $1000 gun budget. I'm thinking I have seen a 150gr 6.5 match bullet out there but then he would need a 1 in 7 custom barrel. So rem700 how about doing some research on an affordable 1000yrd rig and start a new thread about the greatest EOL bullet and chamberings.

The question is what to buy for less than $1000.00 to shoot to 1000yrds. Rem700 completely disrespected the man by offering an argument about EOL chamberings suitable only for high dollar custom rifles. If he doesn't hand load the 6.5x284 isn't a good fit and thinking about it I had to back up a bit and recomend a 308 for factory loaded ammo that would be affordable for a guy with a $1000 gun budget. I'm thinking I have seen a 150gr 6.5 match bullet out there but then he would need a 1 in 7 custom barrel. So rem700 how about doing some research on an affordable 1000yrd rig and start a new thread about the greatest EOL bullet and chamberings.
You know.... . While it's not the ideal I picked up a like new 300WM M70 last year for 600.00 off of gunsamerica.com it's shooting sub MOA for me with factory ammo. With just a simple free float and bedding job it went from 1.7 MOA at 300yds to right at .6. I did the work myself and so all it cost me was a few hours time, a little Devcon, and some lead shot (To stiffen and weight the front end).

I'm a big believer in shopping the LRH (bought three) and Sniper's Hide (bought 2) for good used rigs.

It's a tough economy out there and there are deals to be had.

You know.... . While it's not the ideal I picked up a like new 300WM M70 last year for 600.00 off of gunsamerica.com it's shooting sub MOA for me with factory ammo. With just a simple free float and bedding job it went from 1.7 MOA at 300yds to right at .6. I did the work myself and so all it cost me was a few hours time, a little Devcon, and some lead shot (To stiffen and weight the front end).

I'm a big believer in shopping the LRH (bought three) and Sniper's Hide (bought 2) for good used rigs.

It's a tough economy out there and there are deals to be had.

I think used is a great idea. If he has the knowlege to know what he is looking for it would be a way to get a top quality rig. As he is a novice I don't think he is there. I stand by a new savage in 6.5x284 of he handloads or 308win if he goes with factory ammo. It is hard to beat the LRH Savage for right out of ths box accuracy at any price. After rongs he would have about $300 left for a scope. The scope I recommended is marginal but he could do a lot better used on here. Find someone moving up to a night force and get a deal on something good.

I think used is a great idea. If he has the knowlege to know what he is looking for it would be a way to get a top quality rig. As he is a novice I don't think he is there. I stand by a new savage in 6.5x284 of he handloads or 308win if he goes with factory ammo. It is hard to beat the LRH Savage for right out of ths box accuracy at any price. After rongs he would have about $300 left for a scope. The scope I recommended is marginal but he could do a lot better used on here. Find someone moving up to a night force and get a deal on something good.
The same would apply to the LRH if he can find one.

There are deals to be had in this economy. I can't tell you how many I've seen on the LRH and SH classifieds where someone finally put their dream gun together and had to sell it fast for a house payment, lost a job, new baby, etc.

I got an embarrasingly good deal on my 300RUM from one of our members here literally for about half what he had in it last year. That's the rig I killed the 1080yds bobcat with a single cold bore shot early this spring!

I used to be afraid of "used guns" but the last 5 I have picked up all proved to be sub MOA shooters with little or no work at all and I paid no where near new price for any of them.

To build the upper alone for my LR-260 would run between 1,800-2,400 depending on the builder and I picked it up for under 1k without it having ever been fired before it landed in my hands.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.