First LR rifle, sub $700 suggestions.

I am building one, Savage 300 WSM, B&C Stock, now thinking about what barrel to get.
d5b4252cdddc1969aa32beb81b8f593f-.jpg

I will probably be banned from the forum or burned at the stake as a heretic but here goes anyway.

Iron sights. If your eyes are really good then iron sights are cheap, realiable and can be extremely accurate. Adjustable rear aperture (wind and elevation) and front bead or later after you get used to it maybe a front aperture. Very good accuracy can be achieved as far as you can see.

They are not available for all models of guns so don't buy and gun and then find out that there are none available for it if this is what you want to do.

[ QUOTE ]
shenanigans!

...hey Farva, what's the name of that restaraunt you like so much with the candles and all the [censored] on the walls?...you mean shenanigans?...ooooohhh

[/ QUOTE ]

"I don't want a large Farva...I want a G****** Liter-A-Cola!"

This just might be a lucky buy for me but i got a brand new rem sendero 7mm mag at sportsman warehouse for 599 dealer said that remington discontinued them so if you look around a little bit you might be able to find a deal. but i don't know if you want a rifle that heavy, if not a rem adl would be a good buy. just my 2 cents

Fmsniper, nice looking gun! The stock made me think of McMillan...I'd love to have one if I can ever afford it.

Guys, let me throw a bit more information in here. One concern that I have is that, especially with the Savages, the barrel twists aren't fast enough to stabilize heavy-for-caliber bullets. For example, Savage's 25-06 Varminter that I mentioned in a previous post will only stabilize bullets of 100 grains and under. Apparently, I couldn't even expect good accuracy from 140 grain bullets shot from their 7mm-08 rifles. Their 270 WSMs are limited to 130 grains and under. Their 308s, though, are another story, with twists fast enough to stabilize bullets up to 220 grains. Remington's twists are a bit faster for some calibers. I have read for a while on this site about heavy-for-caliber bullets being the best way to go, but that may not really matter for the shots that I'd be able to take in this part of the country.

Also, I read a post of fiftydriver's not to long ago in which he was talking about the regular steel being harder and evidently stronger than stainless in Rem. 700s, which has me thinking that I should be choosing blued over stainless. Realistically though, I imagine that I shouldn't be worried about this aspect since it's probably academic and won't really affect anything that I'll ever do.

Oh, and regarding the iron sight post, I have pretty bad vision (nearsighted) and wear thick glasses, but I have had success for many years with iron sights, albeit at close range. In order to aim with them, I usually have to tilt my head further back than a normal person would and push my glasses as far up as they will go. At any rate, for this rifle, though, I plan to save until I can afford a decent Sightron/Burris/Simmons scope.

Shelton

This is an interesting thread. Alot of good info. If I could add something to your last post. With your eyes I would consider a NIKON scope 50MM so you get maximum light to assist you with your site issues. I bought a used 6X- 20Xpower NIKON in 50MM and it is a fantastic scope, although you could probably get away with less magnification. I also second the 243 recommendation or stay with the 308 that you first starting writing about. 243 ammo is cheap. and you can get 308 ammo very inexpensively. The rarer calibers result in truly major costs for ammo. It is v. surprising how expensive the bullets can get. Also, why are you buying NEW? You can get some great bargains used! I would look for a previously owned rifle. I have bought ten such rifles in the past 24 months and I have been delighted with every one of them and I saved a BUNDLE! I bought 3 remingtons all for $300 to $400 each, while their list price new would be closer to $600 or even $740 for just ONE.

But the scope issue is one I think you will be happy to learn about NOW rather than after you buy. Look at the NIKON 50MM scopes (or some others but in my experience stay away from SIMMONS). A good 50MM scope WILL help YOU see better.

Enjoy the hunt for the right rifle and scope. It is quite fun in itself!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.