Suggestions for first LRH gun?

metau

Hello all,
First, I would like to say that I am glad I have found this site. I have asked a pair of questions about barrels and my current rifle, which have led me to ask this question: What would be a good choice for a first LRH rifle? I am looking at spending less than $600 for the rifle, and no more than $1000 total, so I know that narrows it down alot. I have heard excellent marks for both remington and savage rifles. However, it sounds like a chevy vs ford thing. Here is an actual list of what I am trying to get for the moeny.

-Capable of shooting accuratly out to 600-800 yards
-Capable of taking elk at up to these distances
-The flatter shooting the better
-Effective cost of shooting
-Possibility of doing a custom build from this
-Ease/cost effectiveness of improvements
-Portability, durability and most of all, reliablity

I have the ability to pick up a rifle setup under retail thanks to my new job. I can only do this once, and this is what I am wanting to do with this. I can get various rifle makes through my new employer, but I am limited on optics. Leopould, Burris, Bushnell, Nikon and Simmons are what I know that we carry. I hunt in Colorado currently, but may move to Montana, Arizona or Alaska for continuing college. So it needs to be able to be handle any type of weather condition, yet act flawlessly when needed.

I know that this is alot to ask for. I realize that. I am also aware that I might be asking for too much. That's okay too. I just want to get the best I can get for what I can afford. And right now, I can shell out about $850(savings after discount). Thanks for all of your input and suggestions. I look forward to seeing what you all have to say. Thanks

Jerry

Well, I try to let people know that I am new to the site two. Here is some infoe that I have for ya. Remington 700 actions seem to be one of the most popular actions in the costomation arena. They are easy to work on, good to start with and very strong. However, there are many other good rifles in this price range. I just ordered a Tikka (mostly because it was low cost in a southpaw version. You could pick up a Browning w/ a boss for the higher end of your price range. If you are worried about cost of shooting, you may wish to lean towards the older more standardized mags. Also, the bigger and faster the gun, the shorter the barrel life.
But I will advise you to waite for more experienced shooters on this site to give advice.
Britz

I would say the cheapest way to get into this sport is a savage rifle. I have yet to see one that wouldnt shoot and a 300wsm would run you around 500.00-600.00 depending on what heavy bbl model you get, laminate or synthetic. Personnaly i would tell you to start out with some small varmint caliber first and work into the large bore magnums but if you wanna take elk at long range then you will need something with some meat on it.

Optics wise Nikon has some pretty good scopes in their buckmaster line or the monarch line and they are not overlly expensive and very good glass. I dont think it would be a prob to get you set up for under$1000.00

good luck
steve

for under a k you are asking alot. Alot of us spend more than that just on glass. I will probablly be scolded because of what I will tell you but thats ok. I personally wouldn't take big game with a setup under a k. That dont mean that you cant get something to shoot varmits and paper though. I honestly believe that to take big game animals at 400 and on it takes some of the very best equipment out there. A life is depending on the shot on wether it is good or bad and they take a day to die. If I was getting into the sport I would look at a savage or remington in probably a 25-06 for varmits and paper punching. If you can find an sendero for the right price jump on it. Got one in a 7stw and it could be used for long range hunting up to a 1000yrds. For glass I have heard good things about the super snipers but have never dealt with one. I really like my night forces but they will be out of you're price range. but others may be able to help and good luck. dont forget that you have to get a range finder to.

Thank you all. I appreciate your thoughts and considerations on this. Like I said, I do realize that I am asking for my cake and to eat it too. I was just hopeing that there was some way to compromise. I have looked at the super sniper scopes, and like them, but I would prefer something not in a fixed power. I have checked out the 700 VLS, but once again, I would prefer a LA or mag of some sort. This will be a rifle that I will work out to that range as my confidence in it increases.

Screech- You have every right to say what you did. This was still a free country last time I checked. Now granted, others have that right too, so I am sure you will catch some grief from someone out there. I completely agree with what you say about the choice to take a shot or not. And believe me, if I do not have complete confidence in my shot I WILL NOT take it. I came home empty handed this last season just because of that reason. But I am curious as to why you say that you 'would not take big game with a setup under a k'? I am assuming that the 'k' is refearing to $1000, not 1000 yards. But then I must ask do you mean all big game hunting, hunting past 500 yards or hunting out to and past 1000? My current rifle I purchased for $50, yes fifty, and put a $20 scope off of ebay on it. So far I have taken two elk, three mule deer, a bobcat, two foxes and three coyotes with it. Granted, all except on of the coyotes was at less than 250 yards, but still.

Anyways, I do agree somewhat with your comment on needing some of the best gear to take big game over distance, however I equally feel that no matter how much one spends, one is only as good as one can shoot, not as good as one's rifle. Eventually, I would like to have a custom rig ste up for me, but as I said, finaces are the limiting factor right now. I am just trying to get something that I could use for elk right now, get used to working up loads and shooting at progressively longer ranges untill I am able to afford a custom rifle. Thanks again.

Jerry

i shoot 700 sendero(s) w/leup scope. for a less expensive scope you could try a bushnell elite 4200 6-24 they can be had for $250 used on some auctions i have heard. a 7 mag or 300 win will get you out there. i reccomend against a 308 it does not have the power; trajectory and especailly wind bucking ability. . i just got a used sendero for 600. i would get a sendero at your best price and compromise on the scope temporily. in order to shoot far accurately takes practice and good equipment. if you don't reload your ammo cost will get you too. roninflag

Not hunting in general, Hunting past 500. I feel that kinda mediocre equipment is just as bad as kinda good shooting skills. But for regular pull up and shoot hunting, no you can get away with far less. You dont have to worry about accurate click scopes, etc. Like I said, I wnat to know the equipment can hold up every time not, fifty percent of the time this scope tracks accurate. No that is junk, throw it away and never bring it with us again. That same scope may work for regular hunting though if it holds up in the field. Kinda get what Im getting at. Some stuff just wont work weel enough for me to trust on big game animals.

I was kinda figuring on going with a 7mm/30/338 magnum of some sort. Either win mag, RUM's or what not, not sure yet. Maybe even a 280AI on the low end, who knows. That's part of the reason I posted this question.

Screech-thanks for clarifying. I thought you meant long range, just needed to make sure, that's all. And I do agree, what is the point in having something that only works half of the time. However, I plan on shooitng it alot, wnough to where I know exactly how she will shoot in whatever condition. As far as the scope goes, I will likely upgrade that first once funds become available. So this will be a rifle that I will have to shoot for about 5-7 years, I am guessing, before I can have a custom. And like I said, I won't take a shot unless it is one that I am comfortable taking, knowing without a doubt that I will make a clean shot.

Jerry

I just picked up my Tikka, it shot pretty well for using plain federal ammo. I was getting 1 inch groups @ 100 and I wasn't using a vise. But now that I think about it I spent a total of 730 on the rifle and a little over 4 on my scope, I wount even go into what I have spent on my loading equipement lol!
Stay away from a Rum since the only rifle offered is the Remington (you may wish to check that out since I was shopping for a left hand rifle). The only reason I say that is because you will spend around 800 or more on the rifle alone The 7mm rem and 300 win are very popular and you will have a large variety of rifles to choose from. The 7 mm will have less recoil and do just fine on the game, but the 300 will produce more knock down at long range. Best bang for your buck (in the lower price range) in my opinion will be the Savage or the Tikka and both have adjustable triggers. If you are looking to shoot out to 600 + yards, then you are looking for a rifle that will shoot around half inch groups. In all honesty, you will need a little luck on your side when you pick out your rifle since the only way to guaranee that kind of accuracy is to purchase an expensive custom job. I hope this helps some.
Britz

I'm sure that if you do some leg work and shop around you could fine something on the 'used' rack that would fit your bill. It takes a while of looking but the deals are out there. I looked long and hard for a left handed any thing for quite a while. Just wanted the action for a donor. Found a REM 700 BDL w/VX-22 Leuy 3x9 in 338 Win Mag. All for less than $500. Turns out it shot very well (after just a little tuning).

I also would recommend the Super Sniper scope. Have a 10X and 16X and am perfectly satisfied.

Some on this site might disagree, but for $1000 retail, you can meet your needs. It wouldn't be optimum, but would definitely meet the requirements you listed :
[ QUOTE ]

-Capable of shooting accuratly out to 600-800 yards
-Capable of taking elk at up to these distances
-The flatter shooting the better
-Effective cost of shooting
-Possibility of doing a custom build from this
-Ease/cost effectiveness of improvements
-Portability, durability and most of all, reliablity

[/ QUOTE ]

What I would do. I'm biased to the 7mm Rem Mag, so thats what I'd choose for a caliber. I'm also biased to the Remington 700. The ADL is the cheapest version of the 700, but I've seen these shoot 'lights out'. Here is a Rem 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag on Gunbroker for a buy it now price of $370
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=67708602

I'd then buy the absolute best optics I could afford with the remainder. Considering that you will need $50 or so for some reasonable base/rings (Leupold base/rings will work fine).

Leupold base $21
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=595804
Leupold 1" Rings $23
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=529983

Then you need a scope, we have around $580 left for a scope.
Here is a Leupold 4.5x14x40 AO Matte for a buy it now price of $520.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=67422621

This leaves you with $60 for shipping/handling etc. Now if you can save some money through your employer, thats even better.

You'll probably want to bed the action, that will cost you $1 for a roll of electrical tape, $5 for some JB Weld. And a couple more dollars for a release agent.

If you reload, you still have enough left over for dies and a shellholder.

There you go, a legitimate 600-800 yard rifle for $1000. You will also have a rifle that can be upgraded in the future (stock, barrel etc.). You can use the duplex crosshair on the Leupold scope as a rangefinder out to 600yds given some practice (a laser rangefinder is MUCH better though). I've personally used a reticle to range and take big game to nearly 900yards, but it is NOT quick and takes a lot of practice.

Hope this helped,
Don

You can get a new 7mm Mag WBY Vanguard or Howa for under $500. Put a nice Nikon Monarch or Bushnell 4800 on it and still have change left over for the ammo. That combo will shoot with the best of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you want to have the energy to kill deer and elk at long range yet still be able to shoot it quite a bit I would look into the 300wsm, winnie, or saum. the 7mmstw or remington mag is good to. just weather you are a 7mm type of guy or 30cal.

You don't need a custom and a $2000 scope to be reliable and accurate. There are some very good factory rifles out there and good scopes in the $400-500 range that WILL track well and fit the bill. Custom jobs and S&B scopes are nice, but the incremental quality increase for the price is out of proportion.

I buy the best equipment I can, but I shoot a $600 Sendero with a $800 scope/mount. I could have cut the price of the scope in half and still been satisfied (Nikon Buckmaster vs Tactical) and hit the $1000 target. I've wrung the gun out to 800 yds and was more than happy with the result, especially considering my 600yd self-imposed range limit on elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.