Best Platform for a first long gun

Heya... Welcome! I own both 308 & 30-06. I actually have 3 308s and a single 30-06, and if you are shooting long range... I' think personally out of the 2 choices you laid out, I'd go with the 30-06 with the 10 twist over the 308 with the 12, regardless of barrel length. A 12 twist is likely going to limit your ability to throw larger pills down range, but the 10 can get up to some very nice bullets in the 30 caliber, such as the Berger 215 hybrid and the Berger 230s. Both bullets have extremely high BCs which make getting your bullets out to range easier by providing better flight characteristics such as less drop, and specifically better wind bucking ability. I would definitely make sure you have a decent butt pad or muzzle brake if you are going to be sending a lot of heavy pills at distance.... because as the weight of you buckets increase, so does your recoil.

Now I say that, given that you reload. If for some reason you didn't plan to reload, then I'd go with the 308, just due the variety of bullets available for sale from the factory.

If you go 30-06, definitely check out the Berger 215 hybrids... .696 BC, or the 230 hybrids, which have a whooping .743 BC. it's gonna be tough to beat those two bullets for long distance work.

Good luck choosing!

Wow, how time flies. I appreciate all the replies on my question(s). I've been a little preoccupied the past few weeks. I probably should have asked this sooner, but... Is the Remy 700 "the" platform for an initial long rifle? There is much written about the 700 and its features and benefits. Is there another platform worth consideration that would be an alternative to the 700?

Wow, how time flies. I appreciate all the replies on my question(s). I've been a little preoccupied the past few weeks. I probably should have asked this sooner, but... Is the Remy 700 "the" platform for an initial long rifle? There is much written about the 700 and its features and benefits. Is there another platform worth consideration that would be an alternative to the 700?

If you are going to work on it yourself and don't have a machine shop, the savages are easier to work on. If you have access to all the toys, nothing wrong with a Remmy. If you are going to pay someone else, your budget is the limit.

If you are going to work on it yourself and don't have a machine shop, the savages are easier to work on. If you have access to all the toys, nothing wrong with a Remmy. If you are going to pay someone else, your budget is the limit.

Very well said!

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 15
Bang for the buck: Remington 700 Long Range, .30-06. 1:10 twist, 26" barrel for best velocity from any given ammo. Reasonable weight to reduce recoil. Easy to customize, parts readily available. Costs about $800. Savage 11 Long Range Hunter, .308. 1:10 twist 26" barrel with adjustable brake and adjustable comb on the stock. Costs about $1000. Either of these will easily handle anything up to the Berger 210 VLD, and maybe beyond. My choice goes to the Remington, but either would make an excellent first long range weapon. .30-06 held all the LR records until the .308 came out. For hunting, the HSM Berger 210 HVLD will take anything on this continent out beyond 500 yards, with the possible exception of Grizzly Bears.

go 308 win. all day long. short action = lighter and more nimble gun. it also has plenty of punch with less than 50 fps difference to 180 gr bullet. i load 165's to 2800 fps which is all you get from factory 30-06 and do it with a 22 inch handy barrel. do NOT skimp on optics, trigger, and stock and you'll have a gun for life that will shoot bug holes to boot.

I am not an expert. I do read a lot, I have shot some (although not at long range), and I think. No matter what you want to ultimately accomplish, either of the following mightl be a better starter rifle than either of the two you have listed: Remington 700 Long Range: .30-06, 26", 1:10 twist, heavy varmint profile barrel. XMark Pro trigger. Bell & Carlson M40 stock, which should be better than most, but others will know more about that than I do. $849 MSRP, available for $700 or less. Savage Long Range Hunter, .308, 26" 1:10 twist, heavy barrel with adjustable muzzle brake, adjustable comb stock. $1136 MSRP, should be available for $900-1000. Either should be a good entry rifle into long range shooting. Note that both have 1:10 twist rates, to stabilize long, heavy-for-caliber bullets. Both cartridges have been at the epitome of competitive shooting, both have been the standard at 1000 yards. The longer the barrel, the faster the bullet, in either caliber; 2" will provide 30-50 additional fps. the .30-06 will provide 100-150 more fps over the .308, at the muzzle, with a given projectile. The .308 may be a bit more inherently accurate, but not enough to make a great deal of difference, except in serious competition. Neither is a 1000 yard hunting rifle. Neither should be considered effective at much more than 650 yards for deer, 500 or so for elk, with the right bullet. If you want to shoot elk at 1000 yards, go bigger - either rifle can be had in magnum calibers, for about the same price. If strictly for competition, the Savage comes in some of the more efficient 6.5mm rounds.

Based on what you've stated and from what I know now vs a few yrs ago, I would look into the rem 5r milspec or the LR's. The milspec comes in the 308 11.75twist and the LR comes in 30-06 10twist. Personally I would steer clear of the sps line. You may get one that shoots, but you also may end up at the gun smith. Your odds of getting a shooter are greater with the guns higher up in the the rem line.

The 308 will last you a long time, but will also limit you to about 175gr bullets due to the twist. Further more it will put you in the FTR class for competition which is where this rifle will see most of its action. When you rebarrel it you will be left w/ a short action, some don't like the limitations while some praise the short bolt throw and lighter weight.

The 30-06 10twist will handle just about all the bullets available, but it will put you in the open class and you will be ballistically handicapped compared to the other hot rod calibers and before you know it you will be shopping for a more competitive caliber. You will have a long action to work with which pretty much opens the gates on future builds.

Hunting rigs are great but the reality of it is you will never pull the trigger more in the field than on the range. While a target/range gun will get very regular use. Matches for me are 54rnds+ per match, for some hunting rifles that is a lifetime of use.

Have you considered any other calibers? Defining your budget will help everyone help you as there is a lot of knowledge here.

This thread is about 6mo old, and based on the post count of the op he hasn't been back.... I wonder what happened if anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts