First varmint gun.

I realize some 22-250's will shoot the 52 grain faster, mine won't, only the 40's like to run fast in this barrel. Both shown loads are about 3 grains from max, so I was thinking it was a responsible comparison. I'm with you on the fast twist 22-250, it would be great. A 90 grainer at say 3200-3300fps with a bc the same as a 175 SMK.

52 grain SMK at 3500 fps kind of conservative for that 22-250 of yours. I can get that from my 40XB 222 Remington Mag using 53 grain SMK. Good paper puncher but performance on game is inconsistent. Deadly at close range though but at 500 plus yards, it just punch hole and never open especially on small games like ground squirrels. Because of that, I now use 40 grain V-Max on my 222 Mag.

Just back from a Montana PDog shoot. What fun. I took a new Savage model 12 LP in .223. Two friends were carrying new model 12s in .204 ruger. The other one in our group was shooting a 22-250 Only problem was we ran out of time before we were ready. Since this was my first .223 as well as the first pdog shoot, I felt there was a lot to learn.

I could not of been more satisfied with my choice of guns or calibers. It's performance was excellent. After a day of trying to convince myself it really was necessary to allow THAT much for wind drift, shots to 300 yards were very doable. Wind for the four days ranged between 15 to 25 mph. What impressed me the most was how well the .204s got the job done. Any idea that this caliber was lacking was soon put to rest. The 32 grain v-max was certainly up to the task. Having the ability to see the hits is a big part of this type of exercise. Both the .223 and the .204 made this possible. The friend with the 22-250 did miss out on much of this action. The recoil was enough to miss some of the aerobatics.

Even as newbies and dealing with the winds, we were scoring out to almost 500 yards. Best for the .204 was 488yds.

If I decide to take a second gun next year (letting the barrel cool was a priority) it most likely will be in the .204 caliber.

I have a Rem M700 w/ a Pac Nor 1-8" twist chambered in 22.250. I have not hit a live target (yet)! But this I can tell you is this thing is a 1200yd. 22 cal. centerfire!! I have not finished load testing yet, but it will push an 80gr Berger to 3050fps. pretty easy and I just might break the 3100fps by the time I am finished. Just waiting for time to test it on live varmints!!1

Got a buddy of mine that just came down for a pr. dog shoot, and he wanted to go long-range specifically-- with a handgun. He was using a custom Contender .223 AI with a 20" fast twist barrel of some make shooting the 75 A-Max. He killed 2 @ 550, 3 @ 650 (2 in a row), and 4 shots later walked 1 into a 775 yd. dog. The 223 capacity cases will get u out there some in a faster twist barrel with a decent optic on top. Some of those Savage 9 twist varminters oughtta do it as suggested earlier.

Exhaust: a 223 AI will get 29-3000 fps with a 80grain SMK.. no need for a 22-250!!

barrel life.. oh upwards of 6-7000.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.