First LR rig

thecanadian160

I have decided that's it is time to build a dedicated long range rig. I am now having a hard time deciding on some of the components. I am going to be building this on a Savage action. Now, here is where I am having trouble deciding. Since the gun will be chambered to 338 Edge, I want to go with a 30'' barrel. 4D Reamer rental has Criterion and McGowen and offer almost any taper I want and can even throat the chamber long. The other choice is to go with Shilen and am limited to standard savage contours, but I have heard that Shilen is top notch. Which one do I go with? Since this gun will primarily be used for target practice with the possibility of hunting in the future, I was thinking a #7 contour?
The other decision I am having troubles with is the stock. I like the McMillan tactical stocks but I am having a hard time choosing which one. I am gravitating toward the A-5 or A-2, what are the pro's and con's of both? I really liked the A-3 sporter but I would be limited to a #5 contour.

You can choose any barrel you want and have a good smith chamber thread and crown. Brux produces great products.

Yes but then the cost goes up significantly. I want to stay under 400.00 for the barrel.

Then you are looking at a pre-fit barrel. IMHO, I would take the McMillan off the list and substitute something like a B&C or Stockade stock and spend the extra money on the barrel. If you don't have the ability to do the machine work yourself plan on spending $600.00 - $650.00 minimum on the barrel.

Like I said just my humble opinion !

Bob

Then you are looking at a pre-fit barrel. IMHO, I would take the McMillan off the list and substitute something like a B&C or Stockade stock and spend the extra money on the barrel. If you don't have the ability to do the machine work yourself plan on spending $600.00 - $650.00 minimum on the barrel.

Like I said just my humble opinion !

Bob

I agree that the barrel is one of the most important components in a gun build. That being said, if money were no option I would go with a Hart barrel like I have on my hunting rifle, very accurate. However, with my funds being what they currently are, I dont see spending $800.00 on a barrel that will only last me 2 years. So my original question stands, should I go with the McGowen, Shilen, or Criterion barrel?

Of the choices listed I would go with a Shilen but I think you need to do some more shopping. There are more barrel makers that do Savage prefits. I would look at Benchmark or Brux. Kevin at Stockade Guns deals with Benchmark and Fred at SSS deals with Brux. I would choose either of them over your listed barrels.

Of the choices listed I would go with a Shilen but I think you need to do some more shopping. There are more barrel makers that do Savage prefits. I would look at Benchmark or Brux. Kevin at Stockade Guns deals with Benchmark and Fred at SSS deals with Brux. I would choose either of them over your listed barrels.

I will check with them, thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.