First Rifle

wwbuck

I have been browsing this site for awhile trying to figure out which rifle to buy. I would like to be able to eventually shoot out to 1000 yards and put down a buck. I elk hunt but I can always use my in-laws 700 7mm. I was trained on the M16 so I'm used to little kick on my rifle and I've noticed when I shoot the 7mm and such I flinch (obviously this is no good). Basicly I want a good rifle that I can hunt deer with (out to 1000 yards once I'm good enough) that will shoot accurately out to 1000 yard and stay under $700 for my rifle. I've been looking at the savage 10FP, 110FP, & 12FVSS but I'm open to anything. I just want to get into the sport and don't have a preference on any brand or cal. I appreciate any advise or opinions.

I recently purchased a 12fvss in 300WSM and couldn't be happier. With the heavier contour barrel it has very little recoil and has been INCREDIBLY accurate. They can be found for around $560 on gunbroker, which leaves you a little to replace the plastic stock if you choose. I plan on replacing my stock, but it is shooting lights out as an out of the box rifle. I shot an 8 shot sub .5" group this afternoon with it and have shot 3 round groups under .3" with it.

The nice thing about the Savage, you could change barrels/calibers in your basement with just a few cheap tools (under $100).

I'm putting a Joel Russo Laminate tactical A5 stock on mine, but from what I've seen the plastic stock isn't as bad as its reputation. The only thing I've done to mine is check/reset the headspace and put a $30 machined recoil lug on it.

Do you reload?

HTH

AJ

i have the 12 BVSS in 308 26 in tube it comes in a nice wood stock but i put in a A5 laminate from joel russo like AJ i have the 10 fp in 223 in a choat stock that's alot of fun to shoot

JIM

No I don't reload yet but plan on doing so. I'm just kinda taking it one step at a time, you know following the wife's marching oders. So rifle first then I'll move onto the next item. But thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna go with the 12FVSS 300 WSM. Is there anything else I should make sure I get at this point?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.