First Rifle questions

I've pretty much settled on a Tikka T3x Lite Veil because many of the other models aren't made left handed. You righties ought to be ashamed of yourselves for all the options you have :)
Good on you! No, I am not ashamed of being right-handed. I am right-handed but left-eye dominant. The military was trying to force me to shoot left-handed during my qualifications. While I shot OK, I did not do well when timed because it was awkward.
I'm starting to back away from the 300 win mag, and leaning heavily towards a 270 Winchester. I know there's lots of great calibers between these two. Called one of my local gun shops to see if they'll order one for me. I'm assuming they will. If not, there's a place I've never dealt with before an hour away that will.
I have both chambering (3 .300 WMs, .270 Win/AI). I understand muzzle devices (muzzle brakes and suppressors) are not for everybody, but they are very effective in felt recoil and muzzle rise reduction. The latter is often not realized. Being able to see targets on impact is priceless.

More than a few people here have shared not so good thoughts on the Tikka composite stocks. Is there a problem with them, other than the "plastic" look & feel? I do like the look & feel of wood, but I haven't found a model with a fluted ceracote barrel in left handed.
Have you explored your options on stocks?

Tikkas are excellent! I had a 300 WM and it would shoot excellent. Replaced the recoil pad with a Limbsaver (made for Tikkas and installs with no grinding) and it helped noticably.
1707395151062.jpeg

And if that's not good enough here's Barnes max load:
1707395249266.jpeg

JMO&E but if you can handle a 12 ga slug gun, you can handle a 300 WM. The 300 WM is easy to find world wide if you need to. I have taken 17 elk here in Colorado over the last 40 years of hunting them and used the 30-06 and 300 WM. Both worked great!
Best of luck with your choice and hunts!

OP - Tikka is a very solid option.

I am in the camp of ditch the 300wm. All you need is the Lords cartridge, the 30 by God 06!!

In all seriousness, the 30-06 or 308 would be better options than the 270 imo. Since you are a first time rifle hunter and probably new to long range shooting. A couple of other options would be the 260 or 6.5 creedmoor. They are going to be easier on your shoulder and will allow you to get much more range time learning those longer shots if that's something you're entertaining. Biggest thing with those smaller cartridges though is you need to understand the limits of the cartridge and play within those boundaries. For example, a 6.5cm is not a 1000 yard elk gun but it does well at 1000 yards on steel/paper.

Thanks, for all of your input and feedback.

Regarding Buds gun shop. I've seen their selection on line, but I've never purchased a gun on line before. A local gun shop can order me anything I can find on line, and their price is basically the same as what I'd pay on line plus the FFL transfer fee. That takes the risk out of not getting what I want.

I've dealt with them on shotguns, hand guns, and accessories, so If they bring something in I end up not wanting, I don't buy it.

Ironically, I'm starting to feel more comfortable about being able to handle the recoil of a 300 win mag, but at the same time, KNOW I'll need a fair amount of range time to feel comfortable with any rifle. So for now, I'm backing down a bit, going with the .270 winchester. Should have it ordered in the next week, gun in hand 7-10 days after placing the order.

Another question comes to mind: How much does muzzle brake or suppressor affect ballistics? I really don't like wearing hearing protection while hunting. My thought is, use a brake with HP at the range, take it off for hunting. Anyone do this?

I'm planning to get a suppressor, but takes longer than I thought. One of my hunting buddies just told me his took almost two years.

Oh, and regarding "the lords cartridge". I'll fully admit this is foolish thinking, but I view the 30-06 as "too common". I know, there are plenty of good reasons for this, and I'm not trying to knock it, or offend those that shoot it. I guess it's sort of like never ordering vanilla ice cream, even though once I get the taste in my mouth, I do enjoy it.

My suppressor or brake don't effect my ballistics, but some do. I would say if you are considering a suppressor down the road, order your rifle with a threaded barrel if it doesn't come threaded already. With a 270 you shouldn't need either, my 300 win has a break that I use as a quick adapter for my suppressor, I don't normally shoot without my suppressor if my guns can take it.

I'm looking to buy my first rifle (other than a .22 rimfire), and would really like some feedback on my proposed purchase, before I "pull the trigger".

First, a little about me. I'm 60 years old, and have been hunting since 14, almost exclusively in Wisconsin. I've never hunted with a rifle, for several reasons. First, I considered rifles too easy. I started out with bow. Second, where I still hunt used to be shotgun (with slug) only. As a teacher, the thought of a week long western hunt is out of the question. I'll be retiring in a couple years, and that will certainly be one of the first things I do. Having shot a decent buck with recurve, compound, long bow, and lemon wood bow, left and right handed, as well as shotgun, muzzle loader, and hand gun, it's now time to switch to rifle, especially as I prepare for a western hunt.

So, on to my question. I'm primarily left-handed, so I'll most certainly be buying a left-handed rifle. I'm looking at:
-Tikka t3x lite
-composite stock
-ceracoated barrel
-300 win mag
Optics: Tract Toric 2.5-15 X 44 ffp

Is this a good choice for a first rifle, that will be used for whitetail in Wisconsin, with the plan to start western and/or Canadian hunts for elk/moose in a couple years? Should I be getting the scope illuminated?
That's a nice set up, with a good break it's very doable, I have a Bergara 300 wm with a EC break and it's awesome. Good luck, also europtic has sako 300's on sale and they are very nice as well.

Thanks, for all of your input and feedback.

Regarding Buds gun shop. I've seen their selection on line, but I've never purchased a gun on line before. A local gun shop can order me anything I can find on line, and their price is basically the same as what I'd pay on line plus the FFL transfer fee. That takes the risk out of not getting what I want.

I've dealt with them on shotguns, hand guns, and accessories, so If they bring something in I end up not wanting, I don't buy it.

Ironically, I'm starting to feel more comfortable about being able to handle the recoil of a 300 win mag, but at the same time, KNOW I'll need a fair amount of range time to feel comfortable with any rifle. So for now, I'm backing down a bit, going with the .270 winchester. Should have it ordered in the next week, gun in hand 7-10 days after placing the order.

Another question comes to mind: How much does muzzle brake or suppressor affect ballistics? I really don't like wearing hearing protection while hunting. My thought is, use a brake with HP at the range, take it off for hunting. Anyone do this?

I'm planning to get a suppressor, but takes longer than I thought. One of my hunting buddies just told me his took almost two years.ad
As you can see from the responses, we all have our biases. I think your proposed setup will work great. Almost no one has questioned your choice of rifle or scope. I think you will be very happy with the tikka and the scope you select. If you buy a 300 win and decide it has too much recoil, you can always trade it for something else.
With respect to hunting with a brake and without hearing protection, IMO I would wear protection. My hearing is very poor. I try to protect what I have left. Some brakes may not be as severe, but the ones I have been around are way too loud for no hearing protection. JMO

I'm planning to get a suppressor, but takes longer than I thought. One of my hunting buddies just told me his took almost two years.
i would suggest a walkers or the like that amplifies sound and then reduces noise when it hears a over 90db sound
ive been around my hard of hearing father too long to not want to preserve my hearing as long as i can.
btw, brakes are not only for recoil taming
they also help with keeping you on target for a follow up shot. i.e the muzzle wont jump as high.

I'd look at caliber options again. 6.5 Creed; 6.5 PRC; 6.8 Western; 270 WSM; 280AI; 7mm-08 would be my group of factory rounds I'd look at.

Flamesuit on: 300WM is a big bruiser that offers little over the 30-06, IMO. The 10 twist makes it meh to me.

Honestly, 270 fast twist or 280 AI fast twist would be my choice if I did it all over…..which I will!