First Rifle questions

Kliff

I'm looking to buy my first rifle (other than a .22 rimfire), and would really like some feedback on my proposed purchase, before I "pull the trigger".

First, a little about me. I'm 60 years old, and have been hunting since 14, almost exclusively in Wisconsin. I've never hunted with a rifle, for several reasons. First, I considered rifles too easy. I started out with bow. Second, where I still hunt used to be shotgun (with slug) only. As a teacher, the thought of a week long western hunt is out of the question. I'll be retiring in a couple years, and that will certainly be one of the first things I do. Having shot a decent buck with recurve, compound, long bow, and lemon wood bow, left and right handed, as well as shotgun, muzzle loader, and hand gun, it's now time to switch to rifle, especially as I prepare for a western hunt.

So, on to my question. I'm primarily left-handed, so I'll most certainly be buying a left-handed rifle. I'm looking at:
-Tikka t3x lite
-composite stock
-ceracoated barrel
-300 win mag
Optics: Tract Toric 2.5-15 X 44 ffp

Is this a good choice for a first rifle, that will be used for whitetail in Wisconsin, with the plan to start western and/or Canadian hunts for elk/moose in a couple years? Should I be getting the scope illuminated?

Looks like an awesome choice as long as you are not recoil-sensitive. In a lightweight Tikka, the recoil of 300 win mag especially for new shooters is going to be significant. I think Tikka makes a version with a threaded muzzle. With the proposed setup I would recommend the threaded version so that you can add a muzzle brake or suppressor if you want to tame the recoil.

Tikka is a great choice….for a starter rifle, 1st rifle, anytime rifle. Even the standard stock will suit you just fine, composite stock was the direction I when when upgrading the barrel to a heavier profile. The standard barrel profile I have in 30-06 doesn't need a different stock. And 100% on the threaded barrel, you will want to tame that recoil to enjoy shooting it the most

Yeah, I didn't include that in the specs. I will be getting a threaded barrel, with a brake. The plan is to put a suppressor on it, but in Wisconsin that's a fairly involved application process that can take 4-6 months. A brake to start.
4-6 months for a suppressor is kinda light. I would plan on 10-12 months, and be happy if it happens in 9 or under.

With very little rifle shooting experience (making an assumption), I would not go 300WM. .30-06 would be more manageable, still have good ammo selection, uses same diameter bullets, but at far less recoil. Plenty for elk/moose. Another choice is .280AI. One of the best 7mms there is in my opinion. Ammo is not as plentiful, but the stuff out is usually high quality.

I'm looking to buy my first rifle (other than a .22 rimfire), and would really like some feedback on my proposed purchase, before I "pull the trigger".

First, a little about me. I'm 60 years old, and have been hunting since 14, almost exclusively in Wisconsin. I've never hunted with a rifle, for several reasons. First, I considered rifles too easy. I started out with bow. Second, where I still hunt used to be shotgun (with slug) only. As a teacher, the thought of a week long western hunt is out of the question. I'll be retiring in a couple years, and that will certainly be one of the first things I do. Having shot a decent buck with recurve, compound, long bow, and lemon wood bow, left and right handed, as well as shotgun, muzzle loader, and hand gun, it's now time to switch to rifle, especially as I prepare for a western hunt.

So, on to my question. I'm primarily left-handed, so I'll most certainly be buying a left-handed rifle. I'm looking at:
-Tikka t3x lite
-composite stock
-ceracoated barrel
-300 win mag

Is this a good choice for a first rifle, that will be used for whitetail in Wisconsin, with the plan to start western and/or Canadian hunts for elk/moose in a couple years? Should I be getting the scope illuminated?
Based on your question absolute, and yes if you want the illuminated. Search up first rifle or best first rifle or best rifle. You will have months of detailed reading to go through.

If you're a "one gun" type, 300 Win can do it all. Even with a brake or a suppressor, a 300 Win in a light rifle can wear me out quick.

If you might have more than one, maybe a 6.5 PRC for deer and buy the 300 Win if/when you head out West? I hear there are people with only one gun, I just can't accept it. LOL

Check out the Tikka Roughtech, Veil Wideland, Veil Alpine, or Ember models if you want a factory threaded barrel (for whatever barrel device).

Eurooptic.com carries a lot of the different Tikka Models.

If you're a "one gun" type, 300 Win can do it all. Even with a brake or a suppressor, a 300 Win in a light rifle can wear me out quick.

If you might have more than one, maybe a 6.5 PRC for deer and buy the 300 Win if/when you head out West? I hear there are people with only one gun, I just can't accept it. LOL
i agree

Been eying these deals.. A little more weight will tame the recoil a little, threaded barrel and a screaming deal for a Sako..

Recoil needs to be considered and tamed

I've got one of these in 300 Win Mag. I like it a lot. An extreme value at these prices.

As mentioned, a little more weight but not heavy (in my opinion). They're light for something in a chassis.

-Tikka t3x lite
-composite stock
-ceracoated barrel
-300 win mag

Someone with that kind of record shouldn't exclude a 270 win from the lineup. You have obviously learned quality marksmanship and patience. The 270 win is lighter recoiling flat shooting and ammunition is readily available. A quality bullet and well placed shot is the key to success with all calibers.