First Long-Range rifle purchase (Tikka).....newby questions.

mdewitt71

Originally from WA, stationed in KS, heading to Mi
Got back from my 3rd Iraq tour and wanted to get a rifle for big game and also to try out some long range shooting.
I got a few retired Army buddies that like to hang out at the longer 1000 meter ranges and figured I might give it a try. gun)

I got a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM for a redeployment gift from the wife. :D
So far it is pretty much stock with a Weaver 2 pce and Vortex mil dot 6x24x50mm on it.
I am gonna add 2nd sling mount for a bipod and Limbsaver "Anti-muzzle jump" pad on it. The rifle will also be used for some future Elk and other "big" game hunts after my retirement in the next year.
attachment.php

My questions are:

Are 2 piece bases OK for Longer ranges?
I did read in magazine article one peice bases are recommended and also have head about 10 or 20 MOA rails but, do not know much about em.

Anyone recommend certain factory loads for the Tikka 300 WSM?
I have been looking a Win XP3 and some Federal loads in both 150 and 180 grain. I will handload later in the future when I give up my govenrment housing and get my "real" house but for now will shoot factory loads.

Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend a one piece with an angled base. The scope you listed (Vortex mil dot) only shows 25moa adjustment, which means only 12.5moa each way (assuming perfectly centered mounts etc). In a best case scenario, a 20moa base could give you 45moa of adjustment up. In a worst case scenario, the base would make it impossible to cover your intended range. With the 300WSM, there is about 25moa drop from 100 out to 900yds (of course depending on the bullet/velocity combo).

I'd like to see you get a scope with at least 50moa vertical adjustment.

AJ

I'd recommend a one piece with an angled base. The scope you listed (Vortex mil dot) only shows 25moa adjustment, which means only 12.5moa each way (assuming perfectly centered mounts etc). In a best case scenario, a 20moa base could give you 45moa of adjustment up. In a worst case scenario, the base would make it impossible to cover your intended range. With the 300WSM, there is about 25moa drop from 100 out to 900yds (of course depending on the bullet/velocity combo).

I'd like to see you get a scope with at least 50moa vertical adjustment.

AJ

Thanks for the reply and the info..................

Luckily, I got the scope for a heck of a deal and am in no way set on keeping it on this rifle.....may just put it on another one.
I do have a Nikon Omega 3x9x40 laying around, just looked and it states it has a 60 MOA Max Internal Adjustment.....

Thanks for the reply and the info..................

Luckily, I got the scope for a heck of a deal and am in no way set on keeping it on this rifle.....may just put it on another one.
I do have a Nikon Omega 3x9x40 laying around, just looked and it states it has a 60 MOA Max Internal Adjustment.....

That would give you the best opportunity for not needing an angled base.

As far as cheap rings, I have one of the dednutz one piece base/rings on my 338 Edge/Savage and feel they are a great deal for the money. Here is a link for their Tikka products.
Tikka T3 : Welcome To DNZProducts.com. When Accuracy is a Must, Choose...DNZ Products, Made from top grade billet aluminum, When Accuracy is a Must, Choose...DNZ Products

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts