first long range rifle

boattail6.5

I am attempting to sort through the available factory heavy barrel rifles as a way to try my hand at this long stuff. A custom is out of the question due to college for the kids. I am concidering a Browning Eclipes 1000 in 300WM, or a Winchester Larado in same cal. Any advise on these two rifles will be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

Boattail, Buddy of mine has a Sendero that shoots 1/2" groups with 165gr Sierras, He also had an Eclipse which shot same kind of groups, but an Eclipse isn't aftermarket friendly if you ever want to customize it. Go with the one that feels right to you. If you get the Remington and need to know how to adjust the trigger send me an e-mail and I'll forward you my instructions. Winchester Coyote in 300WSM or 7mmWSM would be a nice rifle to consider, also. Jay
cool.gif

boattail, been where you are at. I too am just getting started in this long range stuff. Got a lot of goood advice from this site.

I bought a Winchester Coyote in the 7mm WSM and I really like it. I took it to a good smith and had a muzzle break put on (130.00) had it pillar bedded (90.00) and had the trigger reworked (45.00). It is shooting 1/4" at 100 yards using IMR4350 and the 162 gr AMAX. I couldn't ask for more for my first gun.

Godd optics is a key though. Leupould LR set me back almost as much as the gun reworked. But boy is it fun shooting.

Have fun with what you choose
smile.gif

Tom

Suggest that you look way back in the Basics and you will find some info on starting into this game. Many guys agree that the best entry-level rig is based on the .308 Win. cartridge - the idea being that they are cheapest to shoot and to get confidence you have to shoot a lot. All of the drops and wind info are available - there ain't no secrets with that cartridge and it is a nasty killer out to 600 yards or so.

The whole secret is to shoot a lot - more than most guys could ever think of. How much is a lot - varies with the shooter but one of my .308 rifles has 4970 rounds thu it in two summers.

You might consider a Win. M-70 Stealth, Rem. M-700 VS or various Savage heavy barrels (new one have an acceptable trigger apparently).

If you buy one of these and a good scope you should shoot it till you start to understand wind doping and serious marksmanship requirements. I practice from 700 to 1000 so that I can hunt with confidence at 500-650, some guys shoot a lot longer, some not quite as far..

You should understand that to get into long range shooting you should learn to start keeping notes on your drops, wind settings, temps, bar. pressure, loads etc. There are way too many numbers involved in this game not to keep a record book.

Rule of thumb from some guys here who really know their stuff - plan on spending the same $ on your scope and mounts as you did on the rifle. That just plain works. Good luck and don't be shy about asking for assistance - this is the right place, there's a lot of knowledge and experience here.

Repeat after me - .308 Winchester! .308 Winchester! .308 Winchester!
grin.gif

Boattail -- If you are not locked into the rifles and caliber you posted, the information I have absorbed here has caused me to go with a 308 Win to start out with. The reloading info is endless from these guys and helps to reduce work-up for your own rifle. As far as rifles, Rem 700 VS gives you a good starter and the base for something more customized later. The Sendaro is the same basic rifle in long action for the magnum calibers. Jay's trigger adjustment instructions are easy to follow and result in a reliable/safe trigger.

Although not as popular with the custom rifle shooters, another option is the Savage Model 10FP or 12FV with the new accu-trigger. Right out of the box they are hard to beat. The 12FVSS & BVSS are also available in the magnum calibers. If you want some custom work later, Sharpshooters Supply does some amazing things with Savages (so do other places-PacNor, Shilen, etc.).

Good luck ... Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.