Newbie in search of first long range rifle

Of what you mentioned I would do the Tikka in 300 wsm. It meets all the criteria. Light, accurate, no recoil, on and on and large selection of good bullets to kill anything you mentioned. I am working with one right now shooting 150 grain Barnes TTSX at 3400 fps with one hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards. It weighs 7 pounds scoped out and I would not hesitate shooting anything in Wyoming with it. I don't think you would ever have to buy another hunting rifle unless you wanted to get into beyond 700-800 yards long range hunting.

I would recommend the 300 WSM. Easy to load, wide variety of bullet weights, top notch accuracy capable and extremely good barrel life.

I would look at really two guns. Either the Tikka or the Savage (heavy barrel)

Both can be had for under $700 and you have $ to buy a decent scope and shoot a lot.

I would lean towards the heavy barrel with the savage. easy to change barrels with a simple wrench vise and $50 set of go/no-go guages. Does not get any easier than that and can be tweaked to shoot very very good.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.