First Rifle questions

My only issue with Tikka rifles is their base stocks and slow barrel twist rates. JA Outdoors carries barreled actions in many different flavors for Tikka. Add the stock you want and go hunt. I am a 7mm proponent also. Nothing wrong with the 300WM other than the recoil.

I've shot a few 300 WM and the recoil is stout. This is one chambering I wouldn't start my rifle hunting career on, along with similar or higher recoiling monsters.
My concern is developing a flinch especially when you're finding your groups are bad and you realize you're flinching and now cannot control it.
If you know a buddy with one, buy a box of ammo and try their rifle. You might not fire all those rounds, or you may really like it.
My experience is 7RM or less, makes a big smile.

When I first started looking at rifles I REALLY liked the S20. Whent to the "build your own" site, got through spec'ing everything out, and realized I couldn't select Left Handed. Such a bummer. I almost bought one right handed. All the rifles I've shot have been right handed, that I shoot lefty. No left handed friends with rifles.

Sound like you are an accomplished hunter. Go 7mm and keep the joy of the hunt you are used to. No need to punish yourself with a magnum at first blush. I like the idea of a two gun approach. Even typing that makes me blanch at the preposterous idea of having one of anything.

I'd start getting a suppressor asap and then pick a bullet and work backwards from there. I assume you are left eye dominate?

One more note is you are asking others who love spending your money. Keep it simple or make it a custom totally up to you.

Serious question . Do you guys really think a 7rm has less recoil than a 300wm? I've never really noticed any significant difference but I've also not had near as much experience with the 7rm. Not trying to derail the thread just saw it keep coming up.

I have a strong feeling I won't end up a single rifle owner.... I'm not built that way either. This will be my first that I own, but I've shot more than a few. I'm not planning to rush out and buy "several" right away, and I want my choice to be a solid one.

I've pretty much settled on a Tikka T3x Lite Veil because many of the other models aren't made left handed. You righties ought to be ashamed of yourselves for all the options you have :)

I'm starting to back away from the 300 win mag, and leaning heavily towards a 270 Winchester. I know there's lots of great calibers between these two. Called one of my local gun shops to see if they'll order one for me. I'm assuming they will. If not, there's a place I've never dealt with before an hour away that will.

More than a few people here have shared not so good thoughts on the Tikka composite stocks. Is there a problem with them, other than the "plastic" look & feel? I do like the look & feel of wood, but I haven't found a model with a fluted ceracote barrel in left handed.

I would not buy a 300 Win Mag especially in a Tikka for a first rifle. Buy a 308 win. Plenty of reasonably priced quality ammo and it won't beat you up. A 308 win will cleanly take deer and elk out to ~600 yards.
You will not want to practice, practice, practice with a 300 Win Mag. You will be able to with a 308 Win.

I have a strong feeling I won't end up a single rifle owner.... I'm not built that way either. This will be my first that I own, but I've shot more than a few. I'm not planning to rush out and buy "several" right away, and I want my choice to be a solid one.

I've pretty much settled on a Tikka T3x Lite Veil because many of the other models aren't made left handed. You righties ought to be ashamed of yourselves for all the options you have :)

I'm starting to back away from the 300 win mag, and leaning heavily towards a 270 Winchester. I know there's lots of great calibers between these two. Called one of my local gun shops to see if they'll order one for me. I'm assuming they will. If not, there's a place I've never dealt with before an hour away that will.

More than a few people here have shared not so good thoughts on the Tikka composite stocks. Is there a problem with them, other than the "plastic" look & feel? I do like the look & feel of wood, but I haven't found a model with a fluted ceracote barrel in left handed.
There's no inherent issue with the tikka stock. It doesn't feel high end, and has a plasticky feel, but it will shoot. Out of the box they are some of the most accurate rifles out there, without need for modification. If you get it and dislike the stock by all means have something custom spun up, but the rifle will shoot just fine with the regular stock. And 270 win is plenty of power for what you want to do.

I'll take the contradictory position on recoil here. 300WM can be stout, sure. But he shoots slugs and muzzle loaders.

Though the recoil is slightly different from the smaller bore centerfire, if you are fine with 12GA slugs and 50 or 54 cal muzzle loaders, you should be fine with a 300WM too.

Just my $.02

I feel for the lefties. Not only are the selections limited but many times you pay a premium vs a RH. I haven't handled the Veil, so it may have a better feeling stock than the plastic base model. The bottom line is the only one that counts in the equation is you. I highly recommend handling the rifle before you order it. The great news is the aftermarket support for Tikka.

I'm looking to buy my first rifle (other than a .22 rimfire), and would really like some feedback on my proposed purchase, before I "pull the trigger".

First, a little about me. I'm 60 years old, and have been hunting since 14, almost exclusively in Wisconsin. I've never hunted with a rifle, for several reasons. First, I considered rifles too easy. I started out with bow. Second, where I still hunt used to be shotgun (with slug) only. As a teacher, the thought of a week long western hunt is out of the question. I'll be retiring in a couple years, and that will certainly be one of the first things I do. Having shot a decent buck with recurve, compound, long bow, and lemon wood bow, left and right handed, as well as shotgun, muzzle loader, and hand gun, it's now time to switch to rifle, especially as I prepare for a western hunt.

So, on to my question. I'm primarily left-handed, so I'll most certainly be buying a left-handed rifle. I'm looking at:
-Tikka t3x lite
-composite stock
-ceracoated barrel
-300 win mag
Optics: Tract Toric 2.5-15 X 44 ffp

Is this a good choice for a first rifle, that will be used for whitetail in Wisconsin, with the plan to start western and/or Canadian hunts for elk/moose in a couple years? Should I be getting the scope illuminated?
What is your price range for a new rifle?

If it were me and I was seeking a new 300 WM I'd get the Tikka super varmint. Unfortunately, I don't think they make a lefty version though.

I think I saw on here you're going to get a brake. Do it. I've gone that way on all my mags and never looked back. Just make sure to wear ear pro!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025800048?pid=250101

Recent Posts