First Rifle questions

Wifey I shoot about 4,000 rounds per year combined, like 75 rounds per week average.
Ammo is pricy, Handloading is a necessity to shoot frequently. Better than average rifle skills can only be attained by lots of shots.

Just about any beast may be killed by a bullet that destroys vital organs. Adverse conditions can & will affect bullet effectiveness. The OP having success with bow/arrow combos knows this and has a good start.

Two or three rifles would work. My suggestions would be:

.204 R or .223
.22-.250 or .22CM
6mm CM
6.5CM or 6.5-06
.308 or .30-06
.300WM

Of the whole bunch the three that get pulled out from the safe the most are:
.204R
6mm CM
6.5 CM

A very major consideration for this selection is the availability of small rifle primers at our LGS (local gun store)

With the possible exception of griz bears I would have confidence in the 6.5-06 - I have used it for decades against rodents & deers and know others that have killed elks with it. Too bad it can't use small rifle primers but the 6.5 CM uses SRP at 150-200 fps less.

It is conspicuous!!!!! I've often wondered why, with everyone making cartridges as answers to questions no one asked already, the ".21, .23, and .29" calibers have been vacant! 🤣

"The .294 Long Range Hunting magnum. Shoots flat like a 7mm, hits hard like a 30 cal." 🤣

Sort of like the 325 wsm combing the trajectory of a .300 win mag and the stopping power of the .338 win mag while having less recoil than either 🤣🤣🤣🤣

The .237 weatherby RPM : a 284 win case necked down

Last edited:
Ok, I'm purchasing tomorrow. Got delayed by about a month with "life", but I'm going with Tikka T3x lite Veil, so it comes with a fluted & Threaded barrel, ceracoated, and muzzle brake. I've decided to go with the 270 winchester.

I'm also going with a tract toric scope. 2.5-15 X44 FFP MOA.