Strength of Single Stage Presses?

engineer40

Just curious if anyone has ever seen the results posted anywhere of a scientific strength measuring test between the most popular single stage presses?

Seems like it would be easy enough to do to have some kind of hydraulic equipment that could measure in ft lbs of force needed before a press would flex or break.

There is a reason I'm asking this. But for now let's just say, because I'm curious.

Thanks!

Just curious if anyone has ever seen the results posted anywhere of a scientific strength measuring test between the most popular single stage presses?

Seems like it would be easy enough to do to have some kind of hydraulic equipment that could measure in ft lbs of force needed before a press would flex or break.

There is a reason I'm asking this. But for now let's just say, because I'm curious.

Thanks!

I don't know about any measurements per say but I've actually put all my weight on the handle of my Rockchucker ( I weigh around 190#) and she didn't cry uncle... Case-forming can be interesting at times.:D:D Gotta lube the cross-pins on that girl before you stomp on her that hard though...

Im positive that 100% of people would agree that the Rock Chucker is a fantastic press. Its so good in fact, its usually the single stage that all other single stage presses are measured against. :)

Peoples' opinions on this topic though are so dogmatic its almost a religous discussion.

Ive just have never seen anything imperical to prove what single stage truly reins surpreme. And if the results translate into more consistent or concentric ammo?

I know I can produce very accurate ammo with my setup. Only asking out of curiosity. Thanks!

I love my Rock Chucker Supreme.

I have an idea of why you are wanting to know, and it falls along the lines of what Lefty mentioned. But we could be way off. Hydraulic forming die setup with a weight drop system?

IMHO, it depends on the design/how they are made and when they were manufactured. Not sure the difference in material but this RCBS JR3 was built like a thank in the mid-1970s; it weighs 10 lbs on my bathroom scale.

RCBS%20JR3_zpsi8cz9xlp.jpg

I got it primarily for hydraulic fire forming (dies custom made by John Whidden) like John is doing in the video ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/KCqb_7UYh9k?t=5[/ame]

Easier than ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/SQjWhROvXOg?t=38[/ame]

Last edited:
Like many my primary press is a Rockchucker. I have a custom muzzleloader that requires the bullets to be run through a sizing die (die is actually a drop from the barrel). This process cuts the rifling on the bullets and requires lots of force. The Rockchucker does not like this process and requires unreasonable effort, 220 pounds on the handle still doesn't work. I now use a Redding Ultramag for this sizing process and the difference is amazing. I can now size easily with one hand.

I think the RockChucker is very robust. I will say my CO-AX sizes 300 Weatherby cases, easier than my Rock Chucker. If I was forming cases, I would use the Rock Chucker just because it seems it would be tougher to break. But.... If I was going to get a press just for forming cases it would be the big ole LEE Classic cast. That thing is a huge piece of steel and iron. A lot of people say it's so rigid and strong, that you can't cam over the linkage like other presses. The way I understand it, it has the biggest Ram of all the single stage presses, and it can be converted to 50 cal dies.

... And if the results translate into more consistent or concentric ammo?

If the answer to that was anything other than a resounding no, most or all competition shooters would use that more consistent or more concentric press. And we would all be aware of that. :Dgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.