Spend on a Ruger M77MKII or start over

"THE" only thing that I don't like about the Rugers is the magazine length. I loaded some ammo for a pal for his .300 Win Ruger, based on my .300 Win Remington's magazine box length, and he could not even get them in his box. So I went back and seated the bullets .250" deeper and they "just" fit. If you had a .300 WSM, I'd tell you to just bed it (or put in a synthetic pre-fit), and do a trigger job on it. I would have to really think about what you should do in this application. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

It's still a good rifle, I had one (UltraLight) in .308 Win and killed 26 deer with it, and now I own a Ruger Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby which I LOVE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Well I am still working on mounting the rifle in the stock and mounting the scope. I have since bought a RCBS Rock chucker supreme Master kit and plan on rolling my own.

When I was testing I shot 3, 5, and 10 shot groups. It didnt matter any, they still were 1.5 inches. I think I shot around 45 rounds. All groups were within 1.5 inches for the day, with a few lucky ones being less than an inch. They were shot off a concrete bench with sand bags front and rear, no noticable wind, around 60 deg. and slightly overcast.

I have since bought some Hornady 165 grn. rounds to give a try just to see how they do, but I prefer to use the 180 grn rounds for hunting reasons.

GOOD CALL on getting the fixins to roll your own! If and when you have any questions about stamping out your first rounds, ask away in the handloading section. These guys know their stuff.

Well there seems to be little trafic on this part of the board and a few people seem interested so I plan to keep this post going. I will try and do it like a journal keeping it updated with my progress. Maybe it will be helpfull to someone else.

My rifle is at the gunsmiths now. He is mounting the scope(Buris Fullfield II Balistic plex reticle), to include truing the rings, crowning the barrel(target crown), and working the trigger(3-3.5 lb is the goal). I also asked him to take a look at the magazine box, it had a bit of slop in the new stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.