Starting over.

Mitch Rapp

It's been a long while since I posted, and quite a while since I had any sort of long range setup. Getting ready to put together a rig, as cheaply as possible. Cheap partially due to some family tragedies this last year that have left us with less disposable income. We lost our daughter, stillborn in May, and then lost twins in September.

For a rifle, I decided I wanted something in 6.5 Creedmoor or a similar caliber, looking around the Ruger American Predator rifles are very inexpensive. And I know you do get what you pay for, but the reviews for this rifle seem positive, and for under $400 it would be hard to beat. I do plan to look for a used Savage or Remington, in ,260, 7mm-08, or maybe 243. Tips there would be appreciated, the main thing I will be doing is deer and predator hunting, but would like it to be capable of taking an elk if the opportunity presented itself.

For Glass, which is one area I know to try and not skimp on, I may start out with a Bushnell fixed 10, and just plan to step that up in a year or so, I figure that's a good one to start back out with, getting a feel for things again. Suggestions welcome. I am keeping an eye out on Ebay for some good deals, but $2-300 for glass doesn't leave a lot of options.

I have been a will be doing a lot of searching, plan to buy a scope soon, but the rifle may wait till tax return. Thanks for any advice, and I will update this as I find things.

After doing some looking I may wait for the R Grid from Primary Arms. Decent reviews on their stuff, and I really like that reticle.

Mitch ,

Very sorry to hear of your family loss.

I hear the Rugers are very nice for the money , and love the 6.5 caliber.
People keep harping about the SWFA Super Sniper line of scopes -people who do appear to do a lot of extreme range shooting . They love the 10x & 12x models so you might give them a look if'n you already haven't.
The Ruger 6.5 C will knock deeryotes real good.
Good luck with whatever you get !

Thanks Mike.

The SWFA SS is one of the scopes I am considering, need to decide if I want to dial corrections or use a reticle and holds. Really hung up on that decision at the moment. I have done a bit of both, but not enough to have decided what I prefer.

Also sorry to hear about the losses, that can put a big damper on things. In your situation I would recommend a .270 or .30-06 simply because ammo can be had for so cheap. .243 is also inexpensive, but you mentioned elk so I'm going to personally veto that caliber.

For a scope you may look at the Leupold VX-2 CDS. Under $300, decent glass, and an elevation turret matched to your gun.

Also sorry to hear about the losses, that can put a big damper on things. In your situation I would recommend a .270 or .30-06 simply because ammo can be had for so cheap. .243 is also inexpensive, but you mentioned elk so I'm going to personally veto that caliber.

For a scope you may look at the Leupold VX-2 CDS. Under $300, decent glass, and an elevation turret matched to your gun.

I reload, so cost of ammo isn't really a big concern. Will look those scopes up, thanks!

I am heartily sorry for your loss; be strong and God bless your entire family circle.

I too have heard lots of positive reviews on the Ruger American Predator series and I am interested on their .22-250 just to try. 6.5 CM is an excellent chambering. The PA and SWFA are excellent buys for your intended purpose.

Since you reload and elk is in the mix, the venerable and versatile .30-06 is hard to beat.

Check out the Savage 11/111 International Trophy Hunter XP rifle and scope combo offerings, they are reasonably priced with out of the box accuracy and is hunt ready. Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

I am heartily sorry for your loss; be strong and God bless your entire family circle.

I too have heard lots of positive reviews on the Ruger American Predator series and I am interested on their .22-250 just to try. 6.5 CM is an excellent chambering. The PA and SWFA are excellent buys for your intended purpose.

Since you reload and elk is in the mix, the venerable and versatile .30-06 is hard to beat.

Check out the Savage 11/111 International Trophy Hunter XP rifle and scope combo offerings, they are reasonably priced with out of the box accuracy and is hunt ready. Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

I do already have 30-06 dies as well as 300 win. May look at the Savages in those calibers.

If you led with that statement, I would have never recommended the .30-06.

I actually forgot about the 300 win dies. A buddy of mine has them and has for years. I was sort of infatuated with the idea of a more efficient round, but maybe that's my competition side speaking? I forget that a dedicated hunting rifle may not have the same concerns.

I think I will go with the 10 or 12 power SWFA. Wit only a difference of 2 power, is there a big difference between the two?

Well, the guy who has the 300 win mag dies (we went in together on a bunch of reloading stuff years ago ) and who doesn't reload, but has a bunch of the stuff we bought, when I asked about the dies and once fired brass said "nah, I am going to hang on to them in case I decide to start loading some day".....

Well that changes the caliber debate. Either 30-06 or start fresh. Either is fine by me, 30-06 saves me some money, but I do kind of want a round with a bit more gas than that. So hit me with suggestions please.

I don't think that you can go wrong with a 260 Remington or 300 win mag. I love my 260 but this year the 300 wm is my new toy. The 260 is very comfortable to shoot. I shot a deer and antelope with my 260 this year and 2 elk with my 300 wm. I have shot elk with my 260 as well

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.