Ruger M77MKII vs New Rifle

fasteddie911

Hi,
I have a 10+ year old ruger M77 MKII .308 with the paddle boat stock. I haven't shot it in a while, but if I remember right I was getting 1"-2" groups with some minimal load development. I have been thinking of using it again and turning it into a more compact rifle, 20" barrel and shortening the stock, possibly adding a new trigger as well. But I am wondering if it's worth the money and effort. I've also been considering picking up a new youth/compact rifle, in particular the marlin xs7y, remington model 7 or 700 sps youth, probably in 7mm-08 though. Do you think it is worthwhile to work on my ruger? Or do you think the price difference between upgrading my ruger(stock, trigger, barrel cut/crown) vs. a new rifle is worth it based on accuracy potential, dependability, quality, etc.? I've always wanted a rifle in 7mm-08, so if I do pickup something new, what would you suggest, either out of the rifles I listed or anything else out there. I am open to any suggestions, thanks!

Last edited:
Want to sell your "paddle boat stock"?

I'd get the caliber you always wanted. I don't think there is any thing wrong with a Ruger 77. Then you'd have two rifles. I'd do some more serious load development, Rugers do tend to be picky.

Lately I've been looking at the Ruger Gunsite Scout, and Frontiers in .308. Haven't decided if I want to pay new price yet.

Rugers M77 does not have the best reputation for accuracy but that does not meen that
they cant be made to shoot well.

I would PM CoyBoy (Jim See at center shot rifles) and talk to him because he seems to
have mastered the Rugers accuracy problems and could advise you on the best way to go.

I would have to go with a Remington because I can make them shoot but you don't want
to rule out the Ruger if it can be made to shoot well at a reasonable price.

Jim is one of the site sponsors and a very good guy to talk with.

Good luck

I own two M77mkII one in 30.06 and the other in .338Jamison
Both will shoot inside an inch at 100, both have a timney trigger and Hogue overmolded stocks with aluminum bedding blocks.

I do reload for them and haven't tried any factory loads for years, but now a days I'm sure I could find something that would shoot in the .06!

fasteddie,

sounds like you have the same dilema as many others. If you are wanting a factory gun, I would buy the make/ model/ caliber that I wanted and either put the Ruger in the safe or sell it in order to help fund the new gun. It will be cheaper to sell yours and buy a new one versus building up what you have. No one can make your mind up for you on keeping and building vs buying... that is up to you. I am not a ruger fan but that does not mean that I do not have or shoot them, they are good I just prefer Rem or Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.