Speer Grand Slam Bullets

Zombie thread invasion?

I may be mistaken, but I think the Grand Slam bullets have been redesigned since OP posted. They aren't like the A Frame or Partitions now, they have 1 continuous lead core:

1649601907220.png

Personally, with a .243 for black bear, my preference would be either Hammer bullets or a Partition.

Has anyone hunted useing the Speer Grand Slam bullets?

I was recomended these bullets for use in my .243 AI for Black Bear hunting this fall..........................

I realize that a 100gr bullet might be to light but this is the only Rifle I have......................

G
In my experience, the average black bear isn't hard to kill. I have 2 by Archery and 5 by rifle. They all dropped fast. Rifle kills with an 06, a few with 165 grand slams, last 2 were with an 155 scenar. To be honest the Archery bears didn't go any farther after the hit, than the rifle bears

By average. I mean the 200-300lb variety.

You start talking the mongos, 500+, might want something a little more pop to it. Like those 2 Pa bears in the pic !!

Attachments

• 27201.jpeg
    27201.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 65
  • received_566827603741313.jpeg
    received_566827603741313.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Zombie thread invasion?

I may be mistaken, but I think the Grand Slam bullets have been redesigned since OP posted. They aren't like the A Frame or Partitions now, they have 1 continuous lead core:

View attachment 357044

Personally, with a .243 for black bear, my preference would be either Hammer bullets or a Partition.
ive killed a couple with a 22-250 and 70 grain bullets they are not that hard to kil you dont need hammers or partitions you need to put it in the vitals and you can do that with any bullet made

Zombie thread invasion?

View attachment 357044

This bullet has been like this since I started using them in 1975. Always was a poured harder lead alloy for the bottom half and softer lead for the top, never was like a partition bullet

My only experience is with Grand Slam in one rifle 160gr in 7STW at 3300. Hyper accurate and terrible on game. Three bull elk exact same results each time. Bullets just penciled through with no expansion. 150-300yd shots. The worst one absorbed four in about a 5-6" pattern through lungs and finally fell over before I could load another round. That was in early 2000's, and I still have half a box of them sitting on the shelf.

I've always been a partition fan. Shot my biggest buck with one. 85 gr. in a 6mm. Complete pass through,about 200 yards. He took 1 step after the hit.