Speer Bullets

Rflshootr

Anyone shoot Speer bullets? I rarely see anyone mention them. I just picked up 500, 30 caliber, 150 grain spitzer boattails. The finish looks better than what I remember from years ago. Maybe because they're owned by ATK now? Anyone have recent experience? For $26.50/box, I decided to give them a whirl in the 308 Win.

I've used Speers in rifles and handguns for many decades, and most have always worked well for me. A few of the newer ones in a couple of boxes had some QC issues, but they seem to have fixed that in the later ones.

I have an order of .243 100grBTSP coming tomorrow.

I shoot the 55 grain sp from my 223 and used to shoot the 145 hot cor from my 280. Both are very accurate and good on game performance. I tried and tried to get the 165 grand slam to shoot from the 280 for elk but gave them up and went with accubond instead. Overall I would say that they are good bullets.

I shoot the 55 grain sp from my 223 and used to shoot the 145 hot cor from my 280. Both are very accurate and good on game performance. I tried and tried to get the 165 grand slam to shoot from the 280 for elk but gave them up and went with accubond instead. Overall I would say that they are good bullets.

I've used tens of thousands of the 50-55TNT and 50-55SP in my varmint rifles, and they have always delivered very tight groups and good expansion. The TNT's perform well on small varmints, and back in the 90's, I even shot a few 100yd BR matches with the TNT 50's in a 222rem.

I have buddies who use them mainly Gold Dots in their .277 Wolverine AR-15 rifles. They work very well on deer sized game. I have another buddy who uses 130 gr HC in his son's .284 Win rifle that has taken a few elk with that combo. I shot the .375 JDJ with 270 grain BT and found the jackets laying on the back stop so I switched to the 260 grain Nosler AB for my black bear hunt.

70 Grain TNT are a favorite bullet of mine in my 6X47 Rem. It has accounted for many prairie dogs, with dramatic impacts. However, lately I've been using 70 grain NBT as I bought a lot of blems cheap years ago.

Last edited:
I have shot thousands of the 22 cal TNTs and hundreds of the 30 cals as well. Always had good luck with them. The 22s were shot out of 223 and 22-250 Remington rifles. I also shot many out of my 15" Encore pistols in 223 Rem and 308 Winchester. They were all very accurate and explosive on Prairie Dogs. Great bang for the buck, especially when you can find them in the bulk boxes. FleetFarm in Rapid City had a bunch on the shelves last time I was in there. Still at better price points than the big names. I can still vividly recall a shot with my 308 pistol on a Prairie Dog using the 125 TNT bullet. The dog was standing at 311 yards when I hit it on the first shot. It launched that dog like an Apollo moon shot. The guys who were spotting for me let out a roar when I touched off the shot(kinda hard to maintain a sight picture with a 308 pistol). It was a perfect way to end the day.

The 150 BTSP in the 308 should be a very good load for its range use. We used these along with their 165BTSP in the 308, 30-06 and similar and killed many Eastern Whitetails with them. For years, I used the Speer 130 BTSP in a couple of 270Wins, and had very good results. We've shot Speers in many calibers and cartridges, so load with confidence, but like anything, YMMV>