Speer Bullets

I've tried the match bullets so many times with not great success. After weight sorting, about 1/3 of them are too far out to use confidently and the other 2/3 aren't very accurate.

I have loaded and shot the 130 BTHP out of my 7mm-08 with decent results and accuracy. They did not group and perform as well as AB's and Hammers but if I had a need and opportunity, I wouldn't hesitate to load 'em up able take them to the field.

Used to shoot a lot of Speers back before internet shopping because they were more "economical" and I had to shoot on a budget. They all worked very well except for one and I think I used a bullet for something it wasn't designed for. I shot a deer with a 120 spitzer in my 6.5 Remington Mag. The buck was inside of fifty yards and I hit it broadside in the chest cavity. The bullet literally blew up and sprayed the opposite side rib cage with lead fragments. The lungs were mush. The deer dropped in its tracks. The .30 cal 150gr. worked well and held together with good penetration.

I really like the standard Speer 52 grain hollow point , handloaded for my 22-250 Winchester M70 steath, have used it used on ground squirrels out to 450yds in the wind, it hits like a bomb! Also have used the .358 caliber 250 grain hot cor on a 225 lb. Boar Hog, who froze up staring at me from around a tree. At 35 yards, One shot thru. His left eye socket and he was done.

Last edited:
I've shot Nitrex Speer 165 Grand Slam .in 308
12 for 12 one shot kills the last one was a 650 lb Blue Wildabeast at 150 yards 5 steps and dead
I sure miss the Nitrex cartridge. Used them in .270 (130g and 150g), 30-06, and 7mmRM. All good. Down to one 5-pack of .270 130g, one 5-pack of 30-06, and two boxes (40 rds) of 7mm. Great rounds all. The nickel-plated brass did a number on one of my RCBS sizing dies, however. Took whitetail in MN and WI with each of them.

Anyone shoot Speer bullets? I rarely see anyone mention them. I just picked up 500, 30 caliber, 150 grain spitzer boattails. The finish looks better than what I remember from years ago. Maybe because they're owned by ATK now? Anyone have recent experience? For $26.50/box, I decided to give them a whirl in the 308 Win.
I have a bunch of .243win and .270win loaded up with Speer Grand Slams. Good accuracy and perform well on game.

I shoot the 55 grain sp from my 223 and used to shoot the 145 hot cor from my 280. Both are very accurate and good on game performance. I tried and tried to get the 165 grand slam to shoot from the 280 for elk but gave them up and went with accubond instead. Overall I would say that they are good bullets.
Shot a Bull @ 334yds with 145 G.S.-
284 Win. Browning Micro-Meadallion
Quartering to,passed through Upper leg bone(Tough) recovered just under hide of opposite shoulder.139 gr. retained weight perfect mushroom.Ran 70 yds,Dead.
I've found G.S. bullets retain more weight then Partitions.Partions tend to shed front & retain shank.Less recovered weight.Good Luck

I shoot 125 TNT's in my stubby 10 twist .308 with left over powder used for my .20P & .223 up to 300 yards with real good results. I would use these TNT's for reduced range 100 & 200 yard competion with complete confidence, like 1 hole groups at 100. They don't exactly act like TNT (a nice stable explosive) out of a .308 & I have no plans to shoot these from my .300WM.

As for ammo, the Federal .17 HMR ammo loaded with 17 grain TNT's is the best performer in my CZ457.

Just ran a few rounds through my old Savage .222Rem. CCI 400 primer, R-P brass, 50g Speer TNT (HP), IMR 3031: 21g to 22.5g at .5g intervals. 21g was good. 21.5 was interconnected cloverleaf. 22g I totally screwed up. 22.5g one out-of-round hole. 100 yds. For me, the 50g and 52g are superb; 55g not quite as good but still usable.