.338 250gr grand slam vs game king

marksman1941

As a western hunter who gets 1-2 critters a year, I haven't had the luxury of testing multiple bullets on game to learn what works and what doesn't. I recently picked up a .338 RUM and have been building some hunting loads. 250gr grand slams and 250gr game kings shoot just as accurately as each other, although the game king has a substantially higher bc.

Has anyone used both of these on game? Odds are good it'll be used on longer range blacktail (220 pounds at max) if the opportunity presents itself, and closer range elk. Within 400-500 yards. Is there going to be any appreciable difference on game between these two bullets?

I wouldn't expect much difference in terminal performance. If you plan on hitting both shoulders of a broadside elk, I'd prefer the Grand Slams.

I've shot Alaskan moose with both bullets...
That's good to know. I don't ever intend on blowing up shoulders but it always seems to happen, so I try to plan for that eventuality.

Grand Slam is a much tougher bullet and will be emphatic on impact. Have used many Grand Slams in 25, 27, 30 & 338, they are very different to regular cup & core bullets. The only Sierra I ever used in 338 was the 215g GK, it worked, but was frangible and opened very quickly and large which slowed it's momentum.

Cheers.

I used 250gr Gamekings over imr4350 for many years with no complaints.

I switched to Woodliegh weld cores, same weight because I was buying them for $8 a box. I literally purchased all that were left in stock at the time. They are way less aerodynamic, but also stay together for up close shots. Shots that were closer enough to cause the GK to not exit.
The way I see it is if you are usually getting long shots there's nothing wrong with the Sierra, and vice-versa.

You may consider the Barney Fife approach, a bonded core or all copper if you're hunting method passes through both deep timber and clearings. Out in the open it wouldn't be to time consuming to load a long range option in the chamber, and close up the tough bullet will shoot well enough that point of aim won't matter.

Grand Slam is a much tougher bullet and will be emphatic on impact. Have used many Grand Slams in 25, 27, 30 & 338, they are very different to regular cup & core bullets. The only Sierra I ever used in 338 was the 215g GK, it worked, but was frangible and opened very quickly and large which slowed it's momentum.

Cheers.
I prefer heavier bonded bullets. I try to run exclusively 165gr trophy bonds in my 308 and 30/06, and 180gr bear claws in my .300. I've never used game kings or grand slams on anything. I appreciate the feedback on how frangible the game kings are

I prefer heavier bonded bullets. I try to run exclusively 165gr trophy bonds in my 308 and 30/06, and 180gr bear claws in my .300. I've never used game kings or grand slams on anything. I appreciate the feedback on how frangible the game kings are
The Grand Slam is a bonded bullet, the front portion of softer lead is poured in molten and has a ring of jacket forced up that locks the 2 cores together, they are terrific on game.

Cheers.

Just my opinion, and for free so....
The lighter bullets available in. 338 while tempting for the gain in velocity, seem to be much softer for use in lower case capacities. The 225 in the Win Mag has become a favorite of mine, out of a RUM I'd probably stay 250gr or above to take advantage of the higher BC.