55gr game king vs 55gr blitz king

Crazycooydog

I was just looking on the sierra site and the bc of game kings are .250 and the blitz kings are .271.

The question is:
Why not use the blitz king for longer range shooting.

Is the diff in damage?
Is the diff in acuracy?
Is the diff in velocity,that each can be shot at?
Do the blitz kings come apart?

The gun would be 22-243. Most likely be 26 inch 1-12 twist.(may want to shoot 68 gr hpbt match)
Coyotes are the target,range 500-700 yards.
HELP.....going crazy...too many decisions..

[ 01-30-2004: Message edited by: Crazycooydog ]

Check out the 80gr. SMK .420 BC!! I shoot these regularly out of my .223 out to 300 yards!! Your 22-243 should make these babies shine out to your 500-700 yard mark!!
Another alternative is the Nosler 77 or 80gr. In my opinion, for those distances you need the higher coefficient bullet. You will sacrifice MV but more that make up for it in accuracy!!
grin.gif

The Blitzking is a varmint bullet , very explosive while the GameKing has a thicker jacket and a stronger base for shooting bigger game , they still blowup if the velocity is to high.
Out of my 22-250Ai I like the 70gr Berger VLD's with a BC of .400 they shoot realy flat also the 75gr A-max is good. I have to push them to the pressure limit to get them to shoot out of my gun due to a 1-10 twist
I hit a feral cat at a tad over 600yds with the 70gr Berger and it worked great.

Don't know what twist your barrel has but the Berger 80gr VLD has a BC of .489

The 12" twist 22-243 will not stabilize any of the heavy bullets mentioned. Bullets in the 60's should be OK (not all of them), but 70gr-75gr-80gr bullets require a much faster twist.
VH

Crazy,

I have shot the game kings out to 800 yards at the velocities you should be getting. They preformed great and will only leave small holes in coyotes at the distances you have mentioned. I have not tried the blitz kings but would imagine they are a lot like v-max. The v-max expands much much more than the game king.

I'm thinking along the same lines as VH; with the 12 twist barrel, I'd look at something like the Berger Match in 64 gr with a BC of .281; it will most likely be the best for accuracy, however you never know until you load them up and try them. You might give the 70 gr Berger VLD a try as well, it has a published BC of .400 but the 1-12" may not stabilize the heavier bullets as well.

just am idea.. the game kings have a thicker jacket.. depending on how fast you want them to go you will blow the blitzkings apart , i have with my 22-244AI's and 22-284.

Thanks to all for the info.

I would like to shoot the 68gr hpbt match bullets but no heavyer than that.Thats why I was thinking of the 1-12 twist.I know the 55gr seiarra gamekings work great out to 600 yards(for coyotes)but was thinking of shooting the 68's for their wind bucking.
As anyone shoot the 68's in a 1-12 twist 26 inch barrle. What kind of groups and velocity..
I know to shot the 68's it is recamented to have a 1-10 or 1-9 twist,but I don't want to get too far from being able to shoot the 55's.

I'd take a 9" twist if I wanted to shoot the 68grHPBT. It will also work well for the Hornady 75gr A-Max.
Many 9" twist guns shoot the 55gr bullets quite well too.
Just my 2 cents.

VH

Varmint Hunter

The faster the twist the slower I will have to shoot the 55gr's.??Won't I??Bullets may come apart be for I get to the 4000fps..Which a 22-243 should do.

I really don't want the hassle of trying to get berger bullets up here.(the whole idea of gun stuff at the border is a Pain in the ***)
I'm sure there is many good bullets to shoot.
Just not keen on the idea of losing soo much velocity to shoot the 75gr's....I'm realy stuck on the idea"velocity kills".

Thanks for your help.

[ 02-03-2004: Message edited by: Crazycooydog ]

The .224" 55 gr Game King is not a game bullet. They are misnamed.

They are a varmint bullet just like the newer 55 gr Blitz King.

Sierra has been a leader in misnaming bullets. However Leupold has taken the lead in screwing things up with VXVVXXvvxxzzzz/

[ 02-03-2004: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Crazy,

I would not worry about shooting the lighter bullets, I keep kicking myself for going with too slow of a twist.

AS far as your Idea "Velocity Kills" if you run the numbers you will find the heavy bullets do not take long to catch up, and will be going faster starting somewhere around 400 yards.

MTBA

I'm just getting the hang of hitting them yotes on the run.I realy don't want to give up too much velocity.I feel if I give up much more than 200-250fps,I would have to relearn the lead all over again.This will be my main coyote gun. And with nothing to practice on,I realy hate practicing on yotes...lol way too many get away.lol

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.