.338 RUM and 250gr Sierra Game King?

orangeride

I've just finished building a .338 RUM for long range deer and Elk. I've been reading how a lot of guys are using SMK and Bergers. I'm a little nervous about target bullet performance on game. I'm just as likely to get a shot on an elk at 150yrds as I am at 600yrds. I'm thinking the Sierra 250gr Game King might be a pretty good compromise, or maybe the 250gr Nosler Accurbond. Im really not found of Barnes bullets. In my experience they work great when they hit something hard, but I've had more than one pencil right through with minimal tissue destruction. Maybe somebody has some experience with these bullets and might be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks.

I have had great luck and accuracy from my 338 RUM shooting 250 SMK's on African plaines game, deer and antelope. All one shot kills from 100 yards to 600 yards. have not shot an elk yet, but some of the African stuff was as big as an elk.

I have used both the 250 SGK and Accubond at long range animals. Either will do just fine. The BC is better with the Accubond. If you plan on shooting regularly at 1000+ yards the 300 smk is the one to use. At less yardage I like the quality hunting bullets. Considering BC the 250 AB is a good choice.

I shot a cow elk with my 338 rum with a 250 sierra game king at 700 yards. The bullet impacted behind the shoulder and thru the off shoulder with the core exiting and the jacket stopping against the hide. The elk was down after about 50 feet.

I just started shooting the 250 in my 338 rum. 90gr 7828 yields 3165fps at 50*f. All I have shot is deer. The 250 makes a nasty hole at 500. You probablly could have stuck a football in that hole. That deer didnt move, one at 375 ran about 30 yards down hill. My dad shot a deer at 791 with a 300 mk in his 338-378 and it still left a nasty exit hole. I believe they would have plenty left for elk.

I used the 250g SBT this year out of my DE 338 EDGE at 3050fps on a spike at 550 yards. 1 shot and he was DRT, high high shoulder hit, few inches below spine, took his spine out left about 2-3" exit, but didn't have to go through a whole lot granted.

This was first year we used the 250g SBT, we were previously using the 300g SMK, but wanted to drop down to a lighter bullet due to recoil. I figured the 250g SBT was the best compromise of BC, accuracy, and price.

The 300g SMK is awesome bullet though. You just cant beat that BC and the energy. Its on game performance is great from what We've seen on 4 bull elk as well. We've taken 3 spikes and a 6x6 with the 300g SMK at 2825fps at ranges of 500, 700, 900, and 915, 3 of the 4 were DRT, exits size of silver dollar, insides soup, not much more you can ask for.

I live in wv, the longest shot i can get where I hunt is 600 yards. I killed a doe just a few yards shy of 500 with the 250 mk. It ran about 60 yards, i have no idea how. nealy half the liver was hanging out of the 5" exit hole and one lung was basically completely gone. Most of them drop right there. I have not tried the 250 gk. I normally like small bullets so if i'm going to the 250 i prefer to get the bc and consistency of the match bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.