Sendero 300 VS Building a rifle???

Wisner74

Hello and thanks in advance for any help:

I have a Sendero 300 WinMag, I put on a jewel trigger, brake, Nightforce scope. The gun shoots well but is almost to heavy to hunt with. Was going to put a 26 oz stock on it to drop weight but that only puts it at 10.5 lbs. Went to my local gunsmith here in Reno (J & G Gunsmithing) to see if he could turn down the barrel. He said don't do it. He said to Re-barrel. I asked with Obermeyer or Kreiger. he seemed to want to do a shilling. But he would also blue print the action.

So here I am thinking to rebarel with an Obermeyer # 4 or 5 fluted, blue printed action, and new stock. Some where in the 9.5 lb range.

But would it be better to just build a new rifle??? I am new to This. I already have an older m77 300 win mag my dad never shot. I put a mark 4 on it and it shoots great. only weighs 9.5 lbs. so maybe just blue print this action…….IS IT WORTH IT??

As far as building a new long range hunting rifle i am all confused now because I started reading….lol. I here about these Deviant Ultralight actions and I am like wow….they look nice but are they worth it??? is it better to just buy a Remington 700 action and have it blueprinted???

Right now I am thinking Deviante Ultralight action, Jewel trigger, 26" Obermeyer #4 0r 5 fluted Barrel, muzzle brake, precision Edge stock…..Is it worth it????

Next What Caliber??? I live in Nevada and Hunt Elk, Deer And Antelope. Plan on a sheep and goat hunt in the future. Did a red Stag and Tahr hunt this year in New Zealand with the m77.

My buddy swears by the 300 rum. My dad is all about the 7mm. don't see any reason to have another 300 winmag.

I am by no means a guru when it comes to this…….just read a lot. I am that type that sees $$$$$$$ signs and I think it is good. But I really don't want to waste the money.

Something about the custom building and piecing together sounds nice and makes it personal to me. You know, to build the rifle you always wanted.

I just need some direction for a long range rifle that weighs in at about 8.5 lbs and hits hard

You could always rebarrel your Sendero with a carbon fiber bbl from Proof Research or Christensen. This will bring your rifle weight down to around 7.5 lbs without optics and 9-10 lbs with optics without sacrificing accuracy or barrel stiffness. It's a more expensive option compared to standard CM or SS tubes, but it's another option that might just help you to fall in love with your Sendero again.

I never thought of that. checked them out…….sent them some questions. Any other answers to my questions would be great…..Thanks

It's all about how much you want to spend. I love my 300 RUM with the NXS. However, if I were going to build a light weight rifle I would build the 7. Less recoil than the RUM. If money isn't an issue you could lighten the load by changing your scope choice( Swaro or Zeiss ).

It's all about how much you want to spend. I love my 300 RUM with the NXS. However, if I were going to build a light weight rifle I would build the 7. Less recoil than the RUM. If money isn't an issue you could lighten the load by changing your scope choice( Swaro or Zeiss ).

I have a shooting range friend. He has a Swarovski z6 and a Zeiss. He and I both agree neither have glass better than my VX-6. My VX-6 4-24X52 weighs 22.5 ounces. It rides above a Christiansen Arms carbon fiber 26"barrel attached to a Peirce titanium action with a MPI stock. Also, it has a Terminator 3 brake. With two rounds it weighs 8lbs.

How does that carbon barrel shoot in extreme temp differences?

I was thinking about the same thing to lighten the weight, but was discouraged from them as the expirience my friend had with it made him lack the confidence in the rifle.

I was thinking about the same thing to lighten the weight, but was discouraged from them as the expirience my friend had with it made him lack the confidence in the rifle.

This is its first year. The temps have varied from 30* up to maybe 50* so I don't think there's any information there.

The scope thing could make a big difference as the g7 weighs 31 oz. as far as the blueprinting the action to match the barrel....is that worth it??

The carbon barrels available now are shooting extremely well.

So do you recommend buying the barrel and having my gunsmith in reno do the rest of the work on it and to my action?? Or to send my action to Christiansen Arms and have them do all the work???

So do you recommend buying the barrel and having my gunsmith in reno do the rest of the work on it and to my action?? Or to send my action to Christiansen Arms and have them do all the work???

Yes. By the blank, then have a gunsmith of your choice do the work. If you don't trust your guy in Reno, call around. There are several smiths around that can barrel your 700.

Well I have decided to go with a cut rifle barrel for 300 win mag. #4 Contour. this will get my whole set up at 8.5 lbs.

Thanks for all the help.

I have a Proof barrel that shoots less than 1/2 moa consistently. I have shot it in temps from mid-low 80's down to mid 30's. If I remember correctly the gun weighed just over 7lbs before glass and suppressor and it is Defiance Rebel, 22" proof barrel, brake, manners EH-1 vertical grip and BDL style bottom metal.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.