300 win sendero vs semi custom

Idahobuckeye

Ok what I'm looking to do is have a rifle that I feel comfortable with at 1000 yes plus. My skill aside. The ultimate question is for the money would I be better off with a sendero 300 dropping in a timney trigger? Or buy a 700 action with a bartlein barrel some type of stock and a timney trigger? Optics rings base and custom load work up the same for both? Figure 400$ to buy a donor 700 action.

Is one better than the other and is one going to cost much more than the other? I really don't know what gun smithing would cost to assemble the "custom" rifle.
I am just starting out for long range I think id be happy either way but want to know results vs cost is there a noticeable difference? A savage build also intrigues me and I was told i could get more for my money? Are there better routes to go?

Thank you for all the help and information!

The Sendero is a great rifle for the money - a little overpriced depending on where you pick it up, but they are well made.

My Sendero in 7RM shoots great with the 162 Amax. The only thing I've done to it was swap the trigger out for a Timney.

The HS stocks are pretty nice, I just wish they had a higher comb.

I say make a semi custom.

An aftermarket barrel combined with a stock with the fit and feel you want would be my choice. Add the timney trigger and a custom reamer that suits your specific needs and IMO you surpass what the Sendaro has to offer.

You can get a longer or shorter, lighter or heavier barrel than the Sendaro which YOU want. The aftermarket barrel will clean up easier and with proper machining it should surpass the accuracy of the factory package.

Did you know that Bartlein is the #1 barrel preferred by the pros? quote: "Bartlein Barrels continued its winning streak in 2014. This year 30 out of the top 50 shooters were running Bartlein barrels. It takes the next 3 brands combined to just equal half as many as Bartlein had! They had over 3 times as many barrels represented as any other brand." courtesy of Precision Rifle Blog

Rifle Barrels - What The Pros Use - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

If you haven't done it before it may seem a daunting task. Find a gunsmith and talk to them about what you want. Read as much as you can here and other sites. Try to get your hands on as many stocks as possible at the range or at the gun store and see what your gunsmith has on hand. I once visited McMillan and handled their stocks, what an enlightenment that was!

You can make this a wonderful adventure and when you are done you will have something that was have assembled for YOU.

Azshooter

I actually read that article specifically which made me choose that barrel! I am leaning your way definetly and it does seem daunting but I guess once I figure out the parts assembling it is easy? What's cost on something like that on average? And I'm looking at getting a greybull stock I think

Azshooter

I actually read that article specifically which made me choose that barrel! I am leaning your way definetly and it does seem daunting but I guess once I figure out the parts assembling it is easy? What's cost on something like that on average? And I'm looking at getting a greybull stock I think

Blueprinting an action, and fitting & chambering a new barrel blank is not a job you would want to try to tackle on your own with no prior experience. You will need a qualified gunsmith for this task to ensure the rifle is properly setup.

Azshooter

Blueprinting an action, and fitting & chambering a new barrel blank is not a job you would want to try to tackle on your own with no prior experience. You will need a qualified gunsmith for this task to ensure the rifle is properly setup.

LOL...All the youtube videos in the world won't help you "assemble" your rifle. I know how convincing Larry Potterfield is but a wooden dowel and some glue ain't gonna cut it.

LOL...All the youtube videos in the world won't help you "assemble" your rifle. I know how convincing Larry Potterfield is but a wooden dowel and some glue ain't gonna cut it.

Ain't that the truth. You can ruin an entire bolt or receiver with 1 wrong cut.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.