300 RUM semi custom questions

coych

I purchased a Remington 700 sps (bare bones basic) off of a friend for 100 dollars. He went to sight it in and I guess he figured out he wasn't man enough for the gun. My question is to anyone who might have some insight as to what reputable gunsmiths and aftermarket options would be good for me to turn this thing into a 1200 yard machine. I already purchased a bell and Carlson medalist stock for it. I plan to keep this rifle light as I will be packing for elk, sheep, and bear hunts. I plan to load berger 210s or 230s for it. I also am only a carpenter so budget is large part of all of this.I know It will take awhile, maybe years, to go through each step into transforming this rifle and I just need some input on which steps are necessary and plausible. Thanks for your help!

If it doesn't have a break, get one. A good one. I have one on both of mine.

I hunt and pack for all that game too, my bone stock sps 700 turned into a 14.5 pound long range hammer, the only advantage you have with a light weight gun is just that, its light weight. Every other advantage goes to a heavier rig.

I watched the classifieds here and picked up a takeoff factory sendero barrel with a holland brake for around 200 or so, dont remember now, bought a bell and carlson a2 tactical stock, skim bedded it and had a wyatts mag box installed.then toped it with a NF just this last christmas. But for 2 years it wore a leupold vxiii 4.5-14x40 Long Range.with the B+c reticle, and stoney point turrets.

Worked up a load with 210 vlds and this gun shot a pretty solid half MOA out to around 1200 yards numerous times in varying conditions. Im a bodyman so my budget im sure is similar to yours.

Minus the cost of my rifle, which was more than 100 bucks im in this gun around 900 bucks. Not counting glass and I paid around 5 for the gun bran new. But to paraphrase what my good buddy RoyinIdaho said, I challenge ya to go spend 5 grand on a full custom rifle that shoots better than that at 1175 yards in a 26 mph crosswind.

That pencil barrel is not gonna help ya on your journey but your on the right track replacing the stock and I 2nd having a good brake installed, especially if your running the 200 + grain pills.

It does take a while my freind youd laugh if I told ya how long it took me to get this far.

$100 is a steal, regardless of how the gun ends up shooting. Throw it in the B&C stock, bed it, and see how it shoots. It probably has the adjustable trigger on it, so you can try to adjust it down. Worst case, you could also throw a $100 Timney on there. But bottom line, see how it shoots and go from there. No need to spend money on it if it isn't necessary.

Thanks for all your input guys! I'll take it this week to get a brake put on it and after I get some glass on it I'll post pictures of how it shoots. Thanks a lt I really appreciate it!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.