300WM vs 300 RUM sendero

happylilcuss

First of all what kind of accuracy can one expect with an out of the box remington sendero with good glass?

Next question is which caliber should I look at? I was pretty sure I wanted a wildcat (Still do but gonna have to wait awhile) Then I was sure I wanted a 338 (But found that anything less than 1500 its not needed). I then decided I wanted a 300rum. That is untill I researched a little and found many guys saying the WM was the way to go. I dont like the Wm for the rim..

I am looking at burning holes in paper, hitting steel, and killing deer and Elk at close to 1000. I am currently using a 270 wsm and have it pretty well dialed but I want more kinetic energy.

Thanks for any help!!

First of all what kind of accuracy can one expect with an out of the box remington sendero with good glass?

Good, but its a bit of a crap shoot. May need a little touch up but its probably worth the bet.

Next question is which caliber should I look at? I was pretty sure I wanted a wildcat (Still do but gonna have to wait awhile) Then I was sure I wanted a 338 (But found that anything less than 1500 its not needed).??? not needed???? I then decided I wanted a 300rum. That is untill I researched a little and found many guys saying the WM was the way to go. I dont like the Wm for the rim.. The WM will shoot as well as the RUM but you get way more w/the RUM. But again in two identical factory guns which will out shoot the other is again a crap shoot.

Besides the RUM is sexier...

Resizing the WM just ahead of the belt is a problem with out a special sizing die.

I am looking at burning holes in paper, hitting steel, and killing deer and Elk at close to 1000. I am currently using a 270 wsm and have it pretty well dialed but I want more kinetic energy.

Thanks for any help!!

I'm not sure if its help, but all the 300 RUMs I know of in the hands of regular guys/hunters are real game getters.

Last edited:
I don't know about whether or not you can expect better accuracy from and WM vs a RUM but I'll lay my experience on you anyway. My crowd started with Sendero's about 10 to 15 years ago. One buddy bought a blued 300 WM and after shooting about 500 rounds through it without ever getting better than about 1 1/2" gave up. Another buddy bought a Sendero SF in 7mm STW, he too shot the wheels off of that thing trying to get it to group and it too was about a 1 1/2" gun. My uncle bought one in 308 and parked it after a few hundred rounds of experimenting yielded nothing better than about 1 1/2". Knowing this, I kept reading this forum (and others as well) and all of these people kept claiming that they had many Senderos that grouped down in the 1/2" range. The general rule of thumb was that if your Sendero wasn't delivering at least sub MOA or often sub 1/2MOA, you simply weren't pointing it correctly or you needed to bed it or your trigger wasn't adjusted right. So I bought an SF II this year in 7mm Rem Mag.. I put a Seekins 20 MOA rail on it, Burris XTR rings, a 30mm 4.5-14 x 50 Leupold M4 with TMR reticle on it, a Jewell trigger and bedded it in Marine Tex. I put about 200 rounds through it (about 40 different 5 shot loads using H1000, Retumbo, H4350, H4831 and 154 IBs, 160 Abnds, 168 VLDs, 180 VLDs, and 150 TSXs) and only shot about 3 or 4 sub MOA groups with it. None of these sub MOA loads was repeatable. I had a local gunsmith spin a new crown on the muzzle and after about 25 more rounds am fairly convinced that this rifle will not shoot MOA. I have a binder full of 1 1/2" to 3" targets to prove it.

I knew that it was a factory gun to begin with and still decided to buy one because it has such a good action and stock to build from should things not work out but I'm still disappointed. I'm not trying to discourage you from buying a Sendero I'm just telling you what my experience has been.

Most people claim how good their 3 shot groups are. I can say that my new Sendero has shot lots of sub 1/2MOA 3-shot groups and almost no MOA 5 shot groups.

I have no problem with my Sendero 300RUM. I had Shawn Carlock add a muzzle break, cheek piece, skim bed it and adjust the trigger. Load developement took about a hundred rounds to find the right one, I settled on Nosler E- tips and also tried barnes TSX. I have to shoot copper where I live so my bullet choices were limited.

Shawn also installed a Wyatts box on mine and that may have helped. This gun is long throated and my bullets are seated way out there and still .055 off the lands. Ireally had to foll with the seating depth to find that sweet load.

Mike

I too have shot several sub MOA groups out of my 300WM sendero. It's had some "accurizing" by Bob Hart, but nothing too major. I have never shot 5 shot groups on paper. I'm no expert on these things, but when I can shoot three rounds of FACTORY ammo into less than an inch at 200 yds, I'm very happy with that rifle. Just my two cents.

My factory Sendero 300 rum loaded with 92.5gr RL 25 and 200 AB shoots under 2'' at 300 yrds.

Sounds like a bit of a crap shoot, but I think that's more common than not with most factory production rifles. You could always try one out. Have it bedded and get the trigger worked on. If it doesn't shoot, sell it and pick up a different one. You wouldn't lose that much money and odds are that one out of two would be a shooter from what I've been reading on this forum.

Oh..., if you're going to do much shooting past 900-1000 yds I'd go with the RUM.

So it looks like the average consensus from LRH.com is to go with the RUM. It also seems that the mostly stock sendero is a crap shoot on wether it will be a shooter or not.

On another forum I posted the same question and they were more inclined to recommend the WM. Of course the other site is sniper based and I figured that they would want to go with something the military uses..

So I guess my next question is should I wait save my money and have Kirby build me the rifle I dream of?? I will have about $3500 into it before I ever get to the range. However I know that it would outshoot me!! What do you guys think?

Go with the semi custom sendero 300rum or wait and get the Full custom. Also it's gonna take kirby quite awhile to get the rifle built...

Anyway thanks for the help.

Many remington chambered guns have long throats so seating the bullets out farther normally helps with accuracy, in some cases it is the only way to get good accuracy. As for the 300 RUM or the 300 WM, I have never liked the belted cases so I am baised toward going with the 300RUM which is what I do use for hunting myself. Mine is a sporter barreled model and shoots about 1 MOA or very close to it anyway. With factory ammo it shoots about 2 MOA due to the bullets being seated too deep.
A friend of mine has a 300RUM that will shoot 1 MOA with factory ammo, his chamber is tighter than mine and it has a shorter throat which I think is the biggest differance.

My rifle has produced several 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups but will not do it every time, that is why I refer to it as a MOA gun.

Last edited:
the guys i hunt with include three 300rum; 3 300wm; one 300rsm rechambered to 300wsm;and a 25-06, 2-264 all will shoot one moa or better. i have a 7mm rem and 6.5-284 due to return any day with krieger barrels. you decide the caliber; adjust the trigger put a break on it and a leupold

My step sons stock 300 RUM sendero shoots sub inch groups at 200 sub 4 inch groups at 400.
Barnes 180 TSX on top of 100 grains of Retumbo. We rarely shoot 5 shot groups, as the gun will kick your teeth in. But the 400 yard groups were 4 and 5 shot groups.

happylilcuss, For the same investment, I'd wait for Kirby's rifle. And, if you wanted to, you could look at the AM's as well as the RUM. Just a thought. mtmuley

I just purchased a lightly used Savage 112BVSS in .300WinMag for $500. Load development with 165gn NBT's has produced groups of .4" at over 3200fps. 180gn NBT groups of .3" at 3100fps. This rifle would kill anything I ever purposely point it at. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts