Building a rifle backwards

The Kimber '96 is build on original swedish Mauser 96 actions?
If so, you shouldn't load it to modern pressure levels. Only at modern pressure levels the 6.5x55 can compete with the rest of the standard 6.5s. Since you are already loading it, you could have one build on a rem700 long action, 26-28" barrel and 140gr bergers would be a sweet combo. (Im having this build on a tikka action.)
One problem would be left, namely keeping hot loads out of the old mauser action.

There's an easy fix to that problem: 6.5x55AI

It is reported to give 6.5-284 level performance. Lapua 6.5x55 brass is much less expensive than 6.5-284 or .260 brass. Once formed to 6.5x55AI, you won't be able to chamber it in your 96 mauser.

Load 140's @ 2900ish for medium game or 95-123's at speeds up to 3400 or so for varmints and coyotes.

I appreciate the concerns about mixing loads, I have them too, however my concern with load mixing is based on chamber dimension variances and the fact that I neck size every other load.

Because I understand the concerns about pressure levels in the older actions all of my loads approached maximum very cautiously. I stoped once I reached the first accuracy node I found with the 140's. That being said, according to Hornady I'm an extra grain over maximum this year compared to last year. The day I start seeing ANY signs of pressure I'll quit shooting that load in my rifle, that goes for all my loads and rifles.

All that said, I have thought about Acklying the 6.5x55, I'm just not sure where to start.

I appreciate the concerns about mixing loads, I have them too, however my concern with load mixing is based on chamber dimension variances and the fact that I neck size every other load.

Because I understand the concerns about pressure levels in the older actions all of my loads approached maximum very cautiously. I stoped once I reached the first accuracy node I found with the 140's. That being said, according to Hornady I'm an extra grain over maximum this year compared to last year. The day I start seeing ANY signs of pressure I'll quit shooting that load in my rifle, that goes for all my loads and rifles.

All that said, I have thought about Acklying the 6.5x55, I'm just not sure where to start.

Go the Ackley route when you are either starting a build or having an existing rifle rebarreled. You will want to make sure that the reamer used will be a good match with whatever dies you plan to use. It is my understanding that the dies for 6.5x55 AI will be a special order, though not custom.

From there, fireform your brass and work up your loads.

My favorite rifle still is my Remington 700 .243. Nothing special just my first hunting rifle, the rifle I have killed the most game with, and the one with very little recoil its very accurate. I know there is faster flatter guns out there but I Love my .243. Next vote goes for a .257 of some sorts.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts