Seating 6.5 mm's

Lee in OH

Seating 6.5 mm\'s

Do you find heavy 6.5's (140's in particular) shoot most accurately hard into, touching, just off, or well off the lands????

Thanks

Re: Seating 6.5 mm\'s

most vld type bullets like to be seated into the lands[its just a matter of finding out how far]with the exception of the matchking,they particularly like to be seated just touching or just off-but there are exceptions.people have had great success seating the SMK .020 off the lands.i know david tubb did this with great results as does our own *wyowhisper*in his 30 cal.rifles.some people also seat the SMK well into the lands with good results.all in all there is no hard-fast rule,your particular rifle will let you know what it likes.my-2-dave

Re: Seating 6.5 mm\'s

Lee

Each gun, bullet and powder combo is a beast unto its own.

However as stated generally the VLDs like them deep and Sierras just kissing or off.

I load VLDs jammed (about .0400) shoot the ladder load development method to find the powder load combo and then fine tune seating depth with group testing.

Those are general rules, but not always hard and fast. Your gun will tell you which way it likes.

Good luck

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.