6.5-284 Seating Depth

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by okshooter, Feb 28, 2004.

1. okshooter

okshooter Member

I am purchasing a Pac-nor barrel for my Savage Model 16. They have asked me to supply a couple of dummy rounds to cut the throat. I plan on using this as a single shot and shoot the 142 gr. SMK. My question is, what overall length are those of you that are using this bullet in a sigle shot or long action, seating this bullet to? Thanks in advance for your help.

Keith Roberts

2. baldeagle713

baldeagle713 Well-Known Member

It depends on how your throught is cut in the chamber. How ever, Acording to "Hodgdon Reloading" a 6.5 X284 Case Winchester, twist:1:9, Trim:2.160",Primer Fed 210
    The SIE HPBT 142Grain COL:=2.900"
    Thats out of the book. your gun may very.
    I hope it is a good place to start. [​IMG]

3. okshooter

okshooter Member

They tell me these dummy rounds are going to be used to determine neck diameter and throat. That's why I wanted to know what people are using. The 2.900" ois to fit in a short action magazine which I am not concerned about. 3.050" seems to put the edge of the bullet not including the boattail even with the base of the neck. Is this a good place to start?

Thanks,

Keith

4. Boyd Heaton

Boyd Heaton Well-Known Member

I always try to keep the base of the bullet even with the shoulder of the case.The most used neck dia in the 6.5-284 are .296 and .298........You will however need to neck turn your brass.