6.5-284 Seating Depth

okshooter

I am purchasing a Pac-nor barrel for my Savage Model 16. They have asked me to supply a couple of dummy rounds to cut the throat. I plan on using this as a single shot and shoot the 142 gr. SMK. My question is, what overall length are those of you that are using this bullet in a sigle shot or long action, seating this bullet to? Thanks in advance for your help.

Keith Roberts

It depends on how your throught is cut in the chamber. How ever, Acording to "Hodgdon Reloading" a 6.5 X284 Case Winchester, twist:1:9, Trim:2.160",Primer Fed 210
The SIE HPBT 142Grain COL:=2.900"
Thats out of the book. your gun may very.
I hope it is a good place to start.
smile.gif

They tell me these dummy rounds are going to be used to determine neck diameter and throat. That's why I wanted to know what people are using. The 2.900" ois to fit in a short action magazine which I am not concerned about. 3.050" seems to put the edge of the bullet not including the boattail even with the base of the neck. Is this a good place to start?

Thanks,

Keith

I always try to keep the base of the bullet even with the shoulder of the case.The most used neck dia in the 6.5-284 are .296 and .298........You will however need to neck turn your brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts