6.5 MM Opinions

THEGAME

I am thinking about getting a new barrel for my TC Encore. I like 6.5 mm / 264 cal. Well just because. The choices are many and few at the same time. They tell me that Ultramags, Short mags, STW etc. can not be chambered in the encore. I am thinking of maybe a 264 win mag. Does anyone have any opinion as to why I should or should not try this round?
Thanks

If it will help I use a .270 on my encore. Whitetails. I use factory ammo.....lots of bullet choices easy to find.
Shoots great....I dont reload for it for the same reason. Nothing wrong at all with a .264 just alot more, easy to find ammo for the .270.

I'm having a ParkerHale rebored to 6.5/300 Winchester mag. It should do 200-300 fps over a 264 win mag. Just another option for you.

I'm getting a 1-7.5 twist so I can shoot the heavy for calibre Wildcat bullets.

Blygy

Blygy

Thanks for the opinions. I like shooting my guns and I hear the 264 WM is a bit rough on barrels. I think a 6.5/264 WSM would be nice. The 270 WSM is a smoker so I feel the 6.5 would be also. But I cant get anyone pinned down on chambering one of these in an encore.I have also thought about a 260 imp. I am not sure what its ballistics are. I feel I need a min of 3000 FPS from a 140 grain bullet to do what I have planned.

I know TC chambered the Encore in magnum chamberings but from my experience, it is my opinion that you will have much fewer headaches in the long run if you had a barrel chambered in something like a 6.5-06 AI instead of a 264 Win Mag.

Depending on what barrel length you use, the 6.5-06 AI will come darn close to matching the 264 in barrels in the 24" class.

Even with the standard magnum cases, frame stretching can be an issue depending on how hard you drive your Encore and how tight the frame is fitted.

The '06 case size is much easier for the Encore to handle and as such you will get much less case stretching as a result.

Just my opinion from what I have witness with the Encore.

Kirby Allen(50)

Many thanks for the ideas. I will have to just set back and think about this for a while. I have never heard of frame stretching on an encore but I really never paid much attention to these rifles until I ran across this deal and bought one. It does not sound like a good thing. Keep them coming if you have any more advise.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts