6.5 mm ?

If you were to pick one 6.5 Cartridge what would you pick..................for Deer, Elk and Black Bear.

Barrel make, length, action make etc.

6.5 WSM--due to the fact that vel. X bullet weight X powder burnt = highest ratio for all things combined

All other things considered--Savage(due to out of box accuracy vs. cost of custom )w/ a 26 in. barrel(everyone has an opinion about the best barrel maker)
Is truely a fine killen' machine you would have there!

I say 6.5-408 cheytac.:D gun)

For real, a 6.5-06 or 260 remington would be my choice, probably 260 because of Lapua brass.

6.5-06

That is what I decided and why I have stuff in classified.

I had started collecting stuff to build one and ended up buying one already done so the stuff is redundant now.

The AI version is ok but I do not see enough of an improvement.

And if barrel life is not of importance, then maybe reach for the starts and a 6.5stw

Good answer, but a 6.5 stw or 264 win will eat a pipe fast enough. If I wasn't as invested as I am in 270's and 7mm's I'd sure go to 264 cal for average stuff.
If you want a flat shooter and a barrel burner go 17 tracer. i know its not 6.5 but....
50BMG17CalWildCat.jpg

When i first saw this pic i was expecting to see 17 Allen Mag.:D

someone has WAY to much time and money on their hands.

Sorry for getting this thread a little off track, i couldnt resist.:)

Last edited:
Really dig the 6.5 Sherman with a 140 Berger if top performance and fire forming is OK, we're experimenting with some 155 Cauterucio bullets to give it a little more smack on elk. The 260 with Lapua brass is excellent in a milder running situation.

I'm thinking about tweaking up a 6.5 SAUM and seeing how that works!

I am a big fan of the 6,5x284 using 140 Berger Hunting VLD's. I have only shot whitetails and mule deer with it but judging from the the performance out to 1000 yards on these species I would have no problem using it for elk, but would probably limit my the range to 700 yards. I have two very accurate shooters, a Cooper, 26" fluted #6 barrel, 1:8, and a Savage LRH with a 24" barrel. I load to 3000FPS max which gives excellent terminal performance of the Berger 140's at all ranges out to 1000 yards.

For Deer, Elk, and Bear, the choice would be easy for me. I'd choose a 264 Winchester mag.

"For Deer, Elk, and Bear, the choice would be easy for me. I'd choose a 264 Winchester mag."

My sentiments exactly.

For elk I would drive a heavy well constructed bullet as fast as I could. That would be a 264 winchester or 264 STW. If any long range is in the plans the 264 STW. I have most of the ones discussed here and that is the one I would pull off the rack for elk if I chose a 264. Understand you are not talking BC's here for elk. You are talking a well constructed bullet and that does not include the high BC vld's unless it is monometal like the cutting edge. The Barnes ttsx, accubond, swift scirroco type bullets are what you need to look at for elk in a 6.5 mm cartridge. The others will lose to many animals by blowing apart. To small a caliber for a blow apart bullet on elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.