Sako VS Browning

As most have said, I'd rebuild the Sako. Much better product than the A Bolt. Only Browning's I've kept were the old FN Safaris. Had an A Bolt in 338 WM. Shot great on occasion but had trigger issues - one minute fine, next minute creeping. LGS owner said he had to send 3 out of a dozen ordered back. Soft steel receiver which has been known to gall on barrel removal. Put your money into the Sako.

If allowed, I,d take older Browning Safari (FN Belgian) over any Sako, hands down!
FN isn't exactly Browning…also I believe Browning used Sako actions for awhile before they came up with some blend of "everybody else's" (tang safety/ 60* bolt lift/magazine bottom metal and that cheesy buck logo that redneck women wear on their underwear)
Never ever saw Sako panties…

Last edited:
FN isn't exactly Browning…also I believe Browning used Sako actions for awhile before they came up with some blend of "everybody else's" (tang safety/ 60* bolt lift/magazine bottom metal and that cheesy buck logo that redneck women wear on their underwear)
If I recall, Sako made Browning Safaris in 243 and smaller calibers. FN made the larger caliber Browning Safaris. I know. I have five of them dating back to 1959. All mine are pre-salt wood from 30-06 to 458 Win Mag. FN Browning Safari rifles were some of the finest rifles ever made. Browning went to Japan (Miroku, I believe) from the Belgian (FN) and Finnish (Sako) factories to reduce costs.

Browning Stainless stalkers made during the early 90s are incredible shooters that I have owned, several 7 mags, '06, and 270 Win. If you could swing it, buy the browning, and then take your time on the Sako on a rebuild. You will probably need a new barrel on the sako with the rust you speak of. We do not have pics of the Sako in existing condition, but when you mention rust, the barrel is probably a total loss. Sounds like you are not happy with the stock condition either.

The Browning stainless stalkers of the early 90s are incredible, it is worth saying again. So much so, their sales dominated the market here in the South during that time.

114 Words

Last edited:
Devil's Advocate here.

neither!

Both sound like junk. A-Bolts suk, the repairs on the SAKO will cost a couple grand if done right. You would be better off with a Ruger 77. Used can be quite affordable. Forget the AI, you're just asking for problems. Can be dangerous if hunting "dangerous" game with handloads.

You don't get around much do ya…..just not going to the better bars in town! 😂 memtb

Devil's Advocate here.

neither!

Both sound like junk. A-Bolts suk, the repairs on the SAKO will cost a couple grand if done right. You would be better off with a Ruger 77. Used can be quite affordable. Forget the AI, you're just asking for problems. Can be dangerous if hunting "dangerous" game with handloads.

Wow! I trust my handloads at least equal to factory ammo. Plus if concerned about handloads in the AI…..just shoot factory .375 H&H! 😉

I kinda like the additional 200 to 300 fps mv gained with the AI. It puts in pretty a "near" long range hunting class! 😉 memtb