Which would you choose? Browning Titanium vs Sako Finnlight?

NorthernSniper

O.K. guys hows about a few pro's and cons on the Browning Titanium and Sako Finnlight, which would you choose and why? I have a Sako SS 300WM Hunter 75 right now but I want to go to the lighter Finnlight or Browning in 300WSM. At the time I bought the 300WM I didn't realize that the belt on the cartridge case could be a such a pain when the belts hook each other in the clip and jam the action when you cycle the action (scary in Grizz country). Anyway I have never had a Browning but the sales pitch sounds O.K.- hand bedded action, button rifled air gauged barrel but after all the hype do they shoot sub MOA? I have had Sako's but I'm not real sure about the cold hammered barrels as opposed to the button rifled Browning. Never felt the Browning trigger not real crazy about the Sako single pull trigger although there is no doubt the Sako trigger is a decent trigger. Any comments or thoughts welcome thanks for any help choossing!

30-06 Browning Hunter - 60.6 gr WW760 165 gr NBT 3020 fps groups avg 0.5"
300WM Sako Finnbear - 77 gr IMR 4831 165 gr SGK 3240 fps groups avg 0.3"

I can give additional examples, but what it boils down to is which one feels better. No matter how accurate a gun is, if it feels funny or is uncomfortable, it will be less accurate in your hands.

I would give the Sako the nod for my $$!

Bought a SAKO FINNLIGHT 300WSM through gunbroker.com because noone local (Phoenix) could find one. Turns out, the guy sent me an older one, still new in box (far as I know) without the fluted barrel. Imagine my dissappointment.

Anyway, the gun has that nice quality feel, but the accuracy with 180 pills of all brands and all powders has been very bad (like > 2 MOA at best). Also, to get the 180s to fit in the magazine, I have to seat at least .175 off the lands to get them to fit = bummer. Also, it will flat out knock your teeth loose. Installed muzzle break + limbsaver pad, now recoil is manageable.

Installed optilock bases and rings. They seem to work ok, and I haven't stripped any screws yet like a lot of people say they do. You just gotta make sure the wrench is lined up right when tightening.

I am considering a new barrel to solve my accuracy problem. Or maybe going to try 165s first to see if that helps. Thing is, I was preparing for moose, so I didn't want to drop any bullet weight.

Best things about the gun = action and trigger are sweet. Also, the lightweight makes it REALLY nice to lug around Alaska for a week.

My overall recommendation: get a custom gun built!

By the way, all that work and no shot on a moose.

Lafe, I don't live in the U.S. but the distributer here gaurantees 1" or less at 100yds or they replace the rifle. They replaced 2 Sako TRGS rifles Gratis in 308 Warbird when the groups hit 1 1/2" - 1 3/4". It could be that the easier thing to do is have Sako replace the rifle. My son bought a Tikka 300WSM T3 Lite it had a ton of free bore like your rifle which is a real pee off. I will be checking max free bore on this Finnlight or I will not buy it. I'm going to look at the A-bolt Titanium but I have not heard anything good about them.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to look at the A-bolt Titanium but I have not heard anything good about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen them, 300 WSM A-Bolt Ti, in action. The guy intended to use the rifle as his elk gun and chose 180 AB to shoot with it. The 180s did not shoot for poo! He then tried 165 NBT. The first 8 rounds went into the same hole at 100 yards. Velocity is low imo, but his load will work for close in work. Final load is 63 or 64 gr IMR 4350 at 2980 fps in his rifle. His brother's shot the 180 AB good enough to hunt with. He could keep them under 8 inches at 500 yards. Personally, I don't think that's very good, and his load is weak too for the WSM. IMR 4350 63gr @ 2880 fps.

I am shooting the 300 SAUM 175smk @2950 fps and have shot groups as low as 1.44" ctc at 535 yards.

This is just what I have witnessed, but the WSMs should have been loaded hotter for the next node imo for elk hunting.

I have a Sako that is being restocked in synthetic, as I broke the wooden one. I could almost buy a new rifle for the cost but would never part with it or any of our other Sako rifles. Excellent actions, fine breaking triggers, very good barrels, good shooters and have nice clean lines.

There is nothing wrong with Browning, excellent firearms, even after Winchester bought them, but I would still take the Sako.

I would not choose either. I would go with a Tikka T3 and never look back. All that I have shot, in all calibers have been outstanding. In deer camp this year there were 4 guys shooting T3s out of seven hunters and all were tackdrivers.

[ QUOTE ]
I would not choose either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yap...same here.
If you are a handloader......Rem. 700 (without the clip)

The two Sako Varmiters that I had in the past were excellent rifles.

I just started loading for a Tika last week in 270 WSM, not sure if I would want this one, magazine is short, bullets have to be seated at least 60 thousands from the riflings to fit the mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.