Which 7 would you choose?

If you're into hunting, the faster rounds will give a real practical advantage, even if their added performance doesn't look like much on paper. In the real world of uncertain distances, wind, less than ideal shot angles etc, the flatter faster rounds are so much better when time to get a shot away is at a premium.

Alright guy's what is the 7 saw? Is it basically an Ackley improved 7.08?

To clear up a question asked several times I do hand load. Store ammo availability is no concern to me and I'm not fond of fire forming but have been around the block with straight fire forming, cream of wheat and hydraulic form dies.

My velocity/performance goal is 162-175 class bullets at 2800-2950 fps…I seem to run everything around those speeds from 243 to 338 Norma Improved.
First hit on google : 7mm SAW

Alright guy's what is the 7 saw? Is it basically an Ackley improved 7.08?

To clear up a question asked several times I do hand load. Store ammo availability is no concern to me and I'm not fond of fire forming but have been around the block with straight fire forming, cream of wheat and hydraulic form dies.

My velocity/performance goal is 162-175 class bullets at 2800-2950 fps…I seem to run everything around those speeds from 243 to 338 Norma Improved.
If your looking to push the 160-175 class bullets those speeds the 7/08 wont get you there. The 280AI will. Of course the other magnum 7's will. At the expense of more powder, recoil etc.

That 7 SAW is looking the most appealing so far. It's claimed to reach the performance numbers I'm looking for and is able to run/feed on an AW magazine…that's really the package I'm wanting to put together.

I do want to contact Rich Sherman to see if he knows if anybody has successfully run one of his wildcat designs on an AW magazine

The 284 Win ( build it on a standard or long action and give it some free bore) would be my first choice because of brass availability. Then in this order 280 AI, 7 SAUM, 7PRC. There really is not a nat's hair difference in any of them. They will all do what you want, and will equal or out perform the 7-08 AI, which is essentially a 284. The 284 and 280 can be built on a standard bolt face. The SAUM and PRC need magnum bolts. To me the choice would come down to what action I was going to build on. Short action magnum, your only choice would be the SAUM. The 284 won a lot of 1000 yard competitions through the years. Full disclosure, I recently sold my 284 and I am in the process of building a 280 AI +p. JMTs.

That 7 SAW is looking the most appealing so far. It's claimed to reach the performance numbers I'm looking for and is able to run/feed on an AW magazine…that's really the package I'm wanting to put together.

I do want to contact Rich Sherman to see if he knows if anybody has successfully run one of his wildcat designs on an AW magazine
I'm seriously considering building a SAW also. Alpha makes good brass for it also.

Which ever throws a 170 to 180 grain bullet from 2850 to 3000 fps. Barrel length can change so if a short barrel is wanted, bigger case and vice versa.

Std 280 SAAMI spec reamer, 162 at 2930 on 24" with Fed 210 and IMR 7828 is a load right out of the Nosler #4 manual.

Now bump to a 280 AI with R#26, and you are at 3030, again, depending on barrel length

If you go 7 Rem Mag on a 28", 162 at 3200 with Retumbo is real world with 215's, and this is where the 7 stw and 28 nosler is also accurate at with 3350 being top end.

I have been through several 7 STW's.

The std 7/08 will get you 2700+ on a long barrel with 162's, possibly 2800. It best to put Wyatt's mag box in a Rem 700 for use with those long pointy bullets as you can not stuff them down in the case with the slow-burning powders taking up all the room.

The standard 280 Rem loading data in reloading manuals are dumbed down due to pumps and semi-autos. In the 280, with 180g eldm, accuracy node is at 2700 fps+, depending on the barrel length...run the numbers, it is impressive with only a smidge of powder....some things you just have to witness for yourself.
Absolutely correct!
I have two .280 Rems that shoot .4-.5" 160 gr groups as the norm... at 2940 with 7828.
If I were hunting nothing but deer or smaller, those .280s would be more than enough out to 750 yards.

For all the 280AI shooters what are you seeing for velocity with what charge weight? I.E. a 175 at 2900 with 59 grains such n such powder?

Right now the top runners in my mind is the 280AI, SAUM and the Sherman wild cats.
Just get the 28SM. Mine shoots 195 EOLs @ 3220fps in a 3/8" hole with 7RM recoil. If you're looking to shoot 175 class bullets, you could shoot a very mild load over 3200 fps. IMO it's the best magnum BF 7mm cartridge

So I've had 2-28 noslers, 2-7 mags hated both. 1 stw loved it it was extremely picky my nodes were very narrow. Then can the sizing issues after about 4 firings. 1 7 sherman max and we now have 1 7 prc. My 7 max is my favorite 7mm I've ever been behind. Finishing up a build for a friends husband in 7 max now. Only reason we have a 7 prc is so I don't have to load before we go to the range and the wife can shoot and practice and I can spend more time with her at the range not worrying about reloads. My max was finished jan 2022. As we sit today I'm at 678 rounds down just that barrel. If I can do anything over I would have that 7 prc with a 40 degree shoulder after what I saw during the 6.5 prc sherman improved. Oh you probably want speeds and loads. My elr load in my max is 190 atip at 2948. My 180 hybrid load is 3060 fps. So my choices

1. 7 max
2. 7 prc
3. 7 saum. I know @Longtine88 has the 7 sails flat out hammering! He would be one I'd look to if you go the saum route.

I have a new 7SS, just now breaking in the barrel, but really like it and it has all the appearance that it is going to be a hammer with the Berger 168 and 180 VLD-H as well as the Berger 175 EH EOL. I also have a custom 28N and Bergara Wilderness Terrain 7RM, I love the .284 caliber. While I love the 7RM mainly because I have basically always owned at least one, the faster twist and short action of the 7SS is an amazingly efficient and accurate rifle. It may well clear out the 7 mags from the safe.

My 7RM has been parked since the 7ss joined the party also.
I know exactly what you mean!
it doesn't seem like a true wildcat, when you are able to source brass, dies and reamer on the same order.
Not to mention Mr Rich's knowledge and willingness to help.