scope help

hawkinpup

Does anyone have any ideas about why this is happening? I have a Weatherby Vanguard 308 24" #7 heavy varmint barrel, I installed a Leupold 3.5x10x50 scope, ken ferrell base (10 moa) and low tps rings. I am trying to sight in at 100 yards still hitting about 2 feet high, but the turret is cranked all the way down? I have taken it apart and checked for burrs on the scope base and rings, lapped the rings, and reinstalled it but still hitting high.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

I tried another scope but that too was cranked all the way down. would higher rings help? I'm using low tps rings right now

Higher rings isn't going to fix the problem. as Bigngreen mentioned maybe your base is greater than 10 moa. If your able to, take a caliper and measure the hieght of one end of the base and then the other. If I recall it should be around .015" difference between the two over 6 inches of base length.

Two feet high at 100 yards means something is FUBAR. If you had the same problem with another scope it's probably the action. I have Weatherby Mark V action that came off of a 30-378 Accumark. There is every bit of a 0.15" drop from the front of the action to the rear. Those surfaces are supposed to be even. I had to bed my base to get a stress-free mount. Put a straight edge across the two surfaces and see if they're even.

Have you checked the free-float on your barrel? There might be something putting upward pressure on your barrel. Also, check to be sure that your action screws are not over-torqued.

OK I changed the Base to a 0 moa and it's hitting perfect. Now I dont know if the Ferrell base I had was messed up but it came down alot with the new base. something must have been fubar with that base.

Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it

Good to hear. What's next? Are you going to leave it with a 0 moa base or try to figure out what's up with the 10 (???) moa base?

I just got it mounted and sighted in so I'm going to shoot it like this till I decide to try another 10 moa. It's taken me a year to get this rifle built and I want to put lead downrange.

If you decide to throw a 10 moa on it down the road, let us know how it works out for you. Take care.

If your scope is cranked all the way down and with zero moa base you are sight at 100yards then your action is the problem, I got the same problem with my 300rum action because it was the old style with uneven diameters on both sides.
You can use the 10moa base but you have to machine this to fit yopur action and correct the difference, or add some metal spacere in front of your rear screw.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.