Scope help

Hello all,
I am looking for a scope and need input. To start, my budget is $400. I will be putting this on a tikka t3 in 270win. It will mainly be used for deer and hog hunting in Texas. Min shots are 50 yards and if I get to go antelope hunting i could see shots to 3-400 yards. I also will shoot at these ranges or a little further at the range.

I am looking at the vortex viper hs 2.5-10x42 but want to know what else I should consider. I can be pretty indecisive and want to make sure I get the most value for my money since I don't have a lot of disposable income.

I would appreciate any insight y'all can give.

Do want 30mm tube? are you particular about the turrets? might look at the Nikon prostaff 7. I have one on a 300wm I like it so far. mine is 4-16x42 and 30mm tube. gona be hard to beat the vortex though I think.

Do want 30mm tube? are you particular about the turrets? might look at the Nikon prostaff 7. I have one on a 300wm I like it so far. mine is 4-16x42 and 30mm tube. gona be hard to beat the vortex though I think.

I'm not really particular about tube size although 30 would be better most likely. How is the glass on the Nikon? I looked at some pro staff fives at a store and wasn't impressed with the clarity. I 've read both good and bad about the vortex so that's why I was asking. Turrets aren't a big deal either.

The scope you are looking at will serve you well.
I just had a warranty repair done by Vortex, and I must say... I'm impressed, I shipped my scope back last Friday, and had it back last Tuesday. And that's with the holiday...
You might want to look at the Vortex Diamondback HP series, I would consider one for a rifle if they offered it in MILs.

I have been hearing good things about Athlon optics. Might be something to consider.

I'm with Goring. The Vortex viper hs 2.5-10x42 should serve you well at the distances specified. You don't need a 16 or 22 powder scope for those distances. The reticle on the Vortex HS 2.5-10 power will easily allow you to use holdover without dialing at those distances too.

Your budget may be a little tight for the Vortex HS 2.5-10x44 because once you buy the scope you'll need some accessories (rings, rail, lense shades, etc.) and the best price I've found for that scope (with a MSRP of $569) is about $410 all by itself.
IMO the scope you have listed here will do the job you're intending to do but you're limited to either the BDC pr V-Plex reticle, neither of which I personally like.
The Vortex is a good scope; I have one. But with a limited budget here are a lot of excellent used scopes that rate higher in terms of features than the Vortex HS. With regard to "hold over" a good mildot reticle will allow you to both hold over and range the target at the same time and an MOA reticle can be used for hold over if you learn how to use it that way.
Just my 2 cents.

I made a mistake on the Vortex Warranty comment, I overnighted it Thursday, they got it Friday afternoon, and Tuesday evening I got a shipping conformation and I had it Wed. They matched my shipping method.. Great service!! Definitely have me as a customer..

Your budget may be a little tight for the Vortex HS 2.5-10x44 because once you buy the scope you'll need some accessories (rings, rail, lense shades, etc.) and the best price I've found for that scope (with a MSRP of $569) is about $410 all by itself.
IMO the scope you have listed here will do the job you're intending to do but you're limited to either the BDC pr V-Plex reticle, neither of which I personally like.
The Vortex is a good scope; I have one. But with a limited budget here are a lot of excellent used scopes that rate higher in terms of features than the Vortex HS. With regard to "hold over" a good mildot reticle will allow you to both hold over and range the target at the same time and an MOA reticle can be used for hold over if you learn how to use it that way.
Just my 2 cents.

There's a local shop that has it for $390. I know rings will be more but that's ok. The $400 is for scope only. I like the reticle that has the hash marks on it.

The scope you are looking at will serve you well.
I just had a warranty repair done by Vortex, and I must say... I'm impressed, I shipped my scope back last Friday, and had it back last Tuesday. And that's with the holiday...
You might want to look at the Vortex Diamondback HP series, I would consider one for a rifle if they offered it in MILs.

I have been hearing good things about Athlon optics. Might be something to consider.

I have always heard good things about their cs. I have a red dot that has been great from vortex.

I'm with Goring. The Vortex viper hs 2.5-10x42 should serve you well at the distances specified. You don't need a 16 or 22 powder scope for those distances. The reticle on the Vortex HS 2.5-10 power will easily allow you to use holdover without dialing at those distances too.

I figured 12 would be the max I would get. The reticle is one of the things I like the most. It gives you a little more data to make shots and I like that rather than a plain duplex.

You can get an SS 6 x 42 with Butler Creek Caps, sunshade, rings and shipping from SWFA for under $400.00.

The SS Classic scopes are reliable, durable, function well and have good glass for the price. You can get them in mils or MOA.

You can get an SS 6 x 42 with Butler Creek Caps, sunshade, rings and shipping from SWFA for under $400.00.

The SS Classic scopes are reliable, durable, function well and have good glass for the price. You can get them in mils or MOA.
I have the 10 power SS, and it is one the best scopes I own as far as tracking and durability. I was going to suggest the Weaver 3-10x40 tactical thru Midway, I have one of those as well, great scopes both the SS and the Weaver..

Forgot to mention I want variable power.

I had heard good things about the weaver tactical scope about 5 years ago but will look into it again.

Anybody have anything good to say about the Burris fulfields?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.