Scope help.........

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by bryguy, Jul 5, 2012.

1. bryguy

bryguy Active Member

New guy here, been hunting for years. I am getting ready to put a long range hunting rig together. Always just shot plain jane off the shelf regular rifles. Am looking at a 700 snedero in 7mm Rem mag and 160 pills. Looking at scopes and am a bit overwhelmed. My main focus will be hunting, so need a good scope for that. budget is between 1K and 1.5K. Looked at the Zeiss duralyts, Tijicons, and Leupolds. I have several conquests and like them, and I also have Leupolds and Nikons. Have read tons of stuff, but really am kind of lost now...I want a quality scope, but have no idea where to start.

2. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

Do you want to hold over or dial for elevation?

3. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

Your rifle and caliber will enable 1000 yard hunting capability. Base capability for a scope that balances well with your choice of rifle/caliber would be:
    5x20 power range
    Side parallax adjustment
    Turrets/ 30mm tube for sufficient elevation range
    A crosshair that includes a MOA horizontal graduations for windage holds, vertical graduations will be determined by whether you want to use reticule holds with a calibrated reticle.

Some decision points will be:
    Use of turrets or Reticle holds for elevation adjustment at distance.
    If turrets, choice of MOA or yardage,

Your budget is suffucient to get a solid scope. Don't think you could go wrong with a Nightforce NXS, Leupold MK4, or Huskemaw, just to name a few. I have used all three with good success. It is at the high end or may cost a little more than your budget, but the Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 with an MOA reticle is probably the standard by which most scopes are judged for LRH.

4. bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura Well-Known Member

What type of hunting will you do with this rifle? What max range will you be hunting?

5. bryguy

bryguy Active Member

Main purpose will be eastern nc deer, with black bear on occasion. I prefer spinning turrets to holdover recticles. I have the leupold B&C and the Nilon BDC and they seem to busy. One of the conquest I have has a mil dot, and I like that reticle. Ranges will be inside 700 yds. We shoot out to 500 now on our range and I think we can stretch it to over 1k. As to MOA vs inch, whatever is easiest to use.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012