scope help?

I have several Vortex Vipers, some SFP, some FFP. I started with the SFP models, then moved up to FFP as I got more into the longer shooting. As for the reticle covering too much target, the center is a dot about one quarter moa in size. I don't shoot at anything that small, so no problem.

I've been shooting 2 different NSX's and 2 different VX-6's lately, and the VX-6 is every bit as good, if not better, when compared to the Nightforce. I guess I have "extremely good" VX-6's. This is just my experience. Do a search on the quality of NF glass and you'll be surprised how many people say it's not that great. They are nice scopes that are extremely durable, but glass is not the best out there.

Instead of shotgunning a plethora of scopes at the op lets narrow it down.

1. Budget (established)
2. Do you expect close shots? or running shots?
3. About what power would you like on the top end?
4. Do you foresee yourself taking this gun to 1000yds and beyond?
5. Is weight an issue?
6. By chance do you already have rings? 1" or 30mm? or indifferent?
7. Reticle preference

There are a lot of scopes that fall under your $1k budget, its just a matter of what works for you.

I agree! Mine is a much shorter list ...

1. Budget
2. Intended purpose
3. Reticle

I've been shooting 2 different NSX's and 2 different VX-6's lately, and the VX-6 is every bit as good, if not better, when compared to the Nightforce. I guess I have "extremely good" VX-6's. This is just my experience. Do a search on the quality of NF glass and you'll be surprised how many people say it's not that great. They are nice scopes that are extremely durable, but glass is not the best out there.

I used to think my 6500 had glass as good as my Nightforce when I aimed both at leaves and twigs. Then I started using eye charts at about 100 yards and the difference became more than evident. The Nightforce regularly needed two to three powers less than the 6500 or even Swarovski z5 to see the same detail.

Don't get me wrong. My favorite scope right now is my VX-6. It has great glass and weighs less than the Nightforce.

I used to think my 6500 had glass as good as my Nightforce when I aimed both at leaves and twigs. Then I started using eye charts at about 100 yards and the difference became more than evident. The Nightforce regularly needed two to three powers less than the 6500 or even Swarovski z5 to see the same detail.

Don't get me wrong. My favorite scope right now is my VX-6. It has great glass and weighs less than the Nightforce.

x2... when looking at binos between the swaros el and razors you could not tell a difference looking at random objects in the store, then the salesman said look at that chart.... well thats when the edge went to the swaros, but they were over 2x $$$ clearer thats for sure. When comparing glass you really need to do a little more comprehensive and objective testing other than just pearing through them at a glance.

I agree it can be tough to quantify which glass is better without dedicated tests. My opinions come mostly from looking at paper targets at 200 yards in bright sunlight. Bullet holes can be pretty hard to see at that range, especially with all the glare, so I feel like it's a pretty good test. I've also looked at telephone poles a mile away and compared how well I could see the wood grain. There is not a huge difference between the NXS and the VX-6, but if I had to pick which one is better I'd say the VX-6. They are both great scopes and each has it's own set of pros and cons. Talking strictly about glass quality though, in my own opinion and experience, I stand by my original statement that the Leupy is every bit as good, if not better than, the NF.

I agree it can be tough to quantify which glass is better without dedicated tests. My opinions come mostly from looking at paper targets at 200 yards in bright sunlight. Bullet holes can be pretty hard to see at that range, especially with all the glare, so I feel like it's a pretty good test. I've also looked at telephone poles a mile away and compared how well I could see the wood grain. There is not a huge difference between the NXS and the VX-6, but if I had to pick which one is better I'd say the VX-6. They are both great scopes and each has it's own set of pros and cons. Talking strictly about glass quality though, in my own opinion and experience, I stand by my original statement that the Leupy is every bit as good, if not better than, the NF.

El matador, any thoughts on VX3?

1. Around a grand
2. Shoot 600 and hopefully 1,000 yards
3. Regular reticle and based on what I read earlier in this thread SFP

I understand I kept it simple but this is were I normally consider the following:

I agree! Mine is a much shorter list ...

1. Budget: $1,000.00
2. Intended purpose: Shoot 600 and hopefully 1,000 yards. Target shooting or hunting? 1" or 30MM? Fixed or variable (magnification range?)?, etc ...
3. Reticle: Regular reticle and based on what I read earlier in this thread SFP. Now that you've narrowed down you personal preference to SFP, are you looking for mildot, duplex, target ... MOA or MIL, etc ..

The more information you can provide, the better recommendation(s) you get.

Cheers!

El matador, any thoughts on VX3?
They are nice scopes. Very light weight, pretty good glass (comparable to the Vortex PSTs in my opinion), poor selection of turrets and reticles for long range shooting. These scopes really excel on light weight guns for shooting out to 500 yards with the CDS elevation turret. 1" tube versions are down around 12-14 oz.

For longer range shooting and when weight is not of great importance I would prefer a PST due to the nice reticle and exposed turrets. Leupold makes some great scopes in their Mark 4 line which have the same glass as the VX-3 but with better reticle/turret options. But then you're getting up in price close to what a VX-6 costs, and it has better glass and the 6x zoom.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.