Scope help

I have a burris fullfield E1 4.5-14 and a vortex viper 6.5-20 and I'd consider them dead equal for glass the vortex has nicer turrets other wise there equal Imo. I looked at the prostaff 7 and vortex hs side by side in the store and thought they were very comparable for glass. hard to see much difference in a store though.

Check out Nikon's PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14x40 BDC scope. Same glass as the PROSTAFF 7 just a 1 inch tube instead fo the 7's 30mm. At $299 it gives you $ left over for good rings. Nikon's BDC reticle lets you dial in your rifle,scope and ammo with their Spot On Ballistic's Program to get outstanding longrange accuracy. Definitely worth looking into if you think you may end up taking a shot at a speed goat someday beyond 300 yards. Covered turrets as well so no worry about dialing in your distance, just zero your rifle and then use the BDC reticle. If you do like turning knobs you can step up to Nikon's Custom XR turret that allows you to get a Custom Turret designed to your shooting data and then just turn the knob to the yardage of your shot. The XR scope is still with in your $400 budget.

The 30mm tube gives you more internal adjustment for dialing out your yardage, the glass and other features are the same. For your needs a 1 inch tube will suit you just fine.

Thanks for everyone's great advice. I ended up ordering a Nikon Monarch 3 3-12x42 BDC Demo A with some Talley rings from SWFA. Seems like a really good deal on a scope that will exceed my needs.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.