Scope help

wilkup

I'm still trying to decide between scopes for my new rifle I've got coming in the next couple weeks. I received a Burris Veracity 2-10x42 I ordered and had a chance to check it out. Needless to say, I was unfortunately not impressed with the build quality (paralax knob would grind internally when turned, turrets didn't line up correctly) or low light performance of it. I have sent it back for a refund but am wondering if I got a lemon. I'm hesitant to try another and am now looking in a new direction.
I'm currently looking at the Nikon Monarch 7 2.5-10 for $700, Leupold VX3 4.5-14 for $850, and Nightforce SHV 2.5-10 for $950.
It seems Nikon gets a bad rap these days but I've always thought their glass was very clear. The VX3 line has a great deal going the next few days and Nightforce, well it's a Nightforce ;)
I'd like to know everyone's opinions on these scopes. I don't want to spend any more than $950, less would be preferred. I would prefer a 30mm tube and want an objective between 42-50mm. This scope will be going a 7mm SS build and I plan to shoot/hunt 0-800 yards with it.

Edit:
I should add my reason for interest in the Nikon. I know a force recon sniper who swears by his Monarch 7, but he's got the 4-16 and I really liked that scope on the 308 he was hunting with this past weekend. I only had an ACOG on an AR10 to compare it with, so I'm not sure how it'd stack up with other optics.

Last edited:
I have a couple of the older Nikon Monarchs with BDC. They are good scopes and dial very accurately. I am not a fan of the BDC though. Not that BDC doesn't work. It does once you learn to adjust the zoom to your load. But The Nikon BDC does does have windage offset in the reticle and I find the circles hard to get used to. I also like the lockable parallax on the Nikons.

I would like to suggest that you look at the Vortex PSAT though. It is in your price range. The scopes popularity speaks for itself. They are good, that's why so many folks use them. Get one in second focal plane with the MOA reticle and you will love it. You can use the reticle to range targets, use it for holdover and wind correction. It also dials a good or better than the Nikon.

Don't have the Nightforce and has been ages since I've used a VX3, so can't comment on them.

You need to add Vortex to that list for consideration though.

Here's the Vortex I'm talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AQMYDW/?tag=lrhmag19-20

I have a couple of the older Nikon Monarchs with BDC. They are good scopes and dial very accurately. I am not a fan of the BDC though. Not that BDC doesn't work. It does once you learn to adjust the zoom to your load. But The Nikon BDC does does have windage offset in the reticle and I find the circles hard to get used to. I also like the lockable parallax on the Nikons.

I would like to suggest that you look at the Vortex PSAT though. It is in your price range. The scopes popularity speaks for itself. They are good, that's why so many folks use them. Get one in second focal plane with the MOA reticle and you will love it. You can use the reticle to range targets, use it for holdover and wind correction. It also dials a good or better than the Nikon.

Don't have the Nightforce and has been ages since I've used a VX3, so can't comment on them.

You need to add Vortex to that list for consideration though.

Here's the Vortex I'm talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AQMYDW/?tag=lrhmag19-20

I have owned the Viper HSLR 4-16x44 with Dead Hold BDC in the past. I liked the reticle but was not a big fan of the glass on powers exceeding 12x because of how fuzzy the image became. I also did not like that the elevation was in 1/2" clicks, but it appears the PST comes with 1/4" clicks. I will give the PST line another look because I do like that reticle, their warranty is first class, and like you said - their following speaks for itself.
The Nikon and Vortex are going to be pretty close on price, so it may just come down to which appears "better" to my eye, if I were to narrow it down to just those two. I would more information on the other optics and how they stack up if anyone else cares to weigh in.

I do have the shv in the 4-14x56. I do like the scope very well. Can't comment on the one you listed in your original post, but did want to advise they are $873 in the long range store on this site if that makes a difference to you.

I'm gonna take a bit of a gamble I think. I placed my order for the Nikon ($699.95 at Midway!) and will let you all know what I think once it arrives. I have a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 and VX6 4-24 that I'll be able to compare it with. I've read all the reviews I can find on the Monarch 7, the previous X, and the original Tactical models. They've all been favorable reviews and supposedly each model has received upgrades along the way. The glass should be easily better than the Vortex Viper and Burris I've had. I'm hoping it's more clear than a VX3 but won't hold my breath that it's better than the VX6.

Last edited:
wilkup,

Recently I switched from Swarovski 5-25X to Nikon5-20X. So far I am happy with my decision. The glass is barely behind the VX-6 4-24X52 and more on a par with the Swarovski.

Monarch 3

It's hard to believe the Monarch 3 and Swarovski Z5 have similar glass. Did you test them in low-light conditions? I've never owned Swarovski glass (also never peaked through, so I don't know what I'm missing out on) but it along with a few other Euro optics seem to be the "Holy Grail" as far as optics are concerned. If the Monarch 3 is on par, I'd assume I'm in for a real treat with my new M7 =)

It's hard to believe the Monarch 3 and Swarovski Z5 have similar glass. Did you test them in low-light conditions? I've never owned Swarovski glass (also never peaked through, so I don't know what I'm missing out on) but it along with a few other Euro optics seem to be the "Holy Grail" as far as optics are concerned. If the Monarch 3 is on par, I'd assume I'm in for a real treat with my new M7 =)

Don't get me going....well it's too late. I purchased a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 (22.5 oz). It was blurry above 25X. I sent it to customer service and when it came back it was crystal clear above about 10X. I took advantage of their full refund. Since the insurance was on the receipt, they refunded that too. A few months later I bought another. It was fantastic! When I compared it to my Nightforce 12-42X56 (32 oz) on leaves and twigs about 140 yards away I couldn't tell any difference. But both were too heavy for my new ultralight rifle.

I bought a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 (18.1 oz). It was about the same as the other two on leaves and twigs. I made an eye chart with 1/4" lines and spaces. (If you want to see lots of comparisons with lots of optics send me a private message.) At a little over 500 yards in order to clearly distinguish the lines and spaces the Nightforce was set on 12X, the 6500 on 15 1/2X and the z5 on 16 1/2X. In low light the Nightforce is in a whole nother class above the other two. The z5 was a little better than the 6500.

I returned the z5 and bought another. It was definitely not as good as the first one and no better than the 6500 in low light. A fellow hunter bought it from me, even when I told him it was not as good as my Bushnell. I bought another z5. To my chagrin it was no better than the second one. Again the same guy wanted to buy it. I guess he was not into glass, but name. I ordered another. This one had the Ballistic Turret. It was the slightest bit better than the first and definitely better than the 6500 in low light.

I was discusted to discover the windage didn't move the first two times I twisted it. When it did move it went too far! Finally it was zeroed. I worked up a load with the ultralight and set the turret. I practiced often. The day before going to Alaska the turret malfunctioned, but the zero stayed on. When I returned from the trip I sent it to customer service. They replaced some stuff in the erector. I sighted it in again and practiced with the turret. Again the day before a sheep hunt the turret malfunctioned again, but the zero held. Upon returning the z5 went back to customer service.

Being a diehard sorta guy I sighted in again. Once I dialed it up to 500 yards and back to zero it went too far. Again I sent it to customer service. They charged me $30 for something. I sold it before trying it on the rifle.

When the Nikon I compared it to my VX-6 4-24X52; which I compared with the z5. I was delighted to see the glass was just about the same as the z5. Despite the z5 having a 52mm objective, according to records, the Nikon's 40mm was just about the same.

So far there has not been a Swarovski, including my shooting friend's z6 3-18X44, that matches my 6500 on the same magnification setting. I will compare the 6500 and the Nikon today, Lord willin'.

Looking forward to the comparison!!!
For my sake, I hope the Nikon scores well =) Tough break on all those other scopes! Thanks for sharing your experience.

My son-in-law took the rifle with the 6500 shooting today so I used the VX-6. Based on this I think the Nikon will beat the 6500. The VX-6 lasted one minute longer than the Nikon. I am delighted. Not bad when the VX-6 sports a 52mm objective and the Nikon has a 40mm objective. I could turn them up and last a little longer, but if you're in the woods, you would have to get some kind of rest to take advantage of the higher magnification.

My son-in-law took the rifle with the 6500 shooting today so I used the VX-6. Based on this I think the Nikon will beat the 6500. The VX-6 lasted one minute longer than the Nikon. I am delighted. Not bad when the VX-6 sports a 52mm objective and the Nikon has a 40mm objective. I could turn them up and last a little longer, but if you're in the woods, you would have to get some kind of rest to take advantage of the higher magnification.

What mag were you viewing through on each scope?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.