scope help?

TXJack

Hi guys, I am new to long range shooting and would appreciate some help in buying my first scope. I recently purchased a new sendero in 300 win and if all goes well, plan (in the future) to have a custom 300 rum built.

I plan on shooting out to 600 yards. My price range is $1k for the scope. I am open to buying used.

I have a few guns (mostly browning with leupold) but have never tried to shoot past 400. My favorite rifle is a browning medallion in 270 win and its whitetail sleep medicine. Living here in TX i have the opportunity to take long shots at coyote and hog. I hope the new rifle will help put a hurting on them.

So there's some background and plans. All useful advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Take a look at the Nightforce SHV line. Vortex Viper PST would also be worth a look.

Thanks. I know a few guys that use Nightforce. I don't have any knowledge of Vortex. For the money, I wonder about the quality? Any Vortex owners out there willing to share an opinion?

Hi guys, I am new to long range shooting and would appreciate some help in buying my first scope. I recently purchased a new sendero in 300 win and if all goes well, plan (in the future) to have a custom 300 rum built.

I plan on shooting out to 600 yards. My price range is $1k for the scope. I am open to buying used.

I have a few guns (mostly browning with leupold) but have never tried to shoot past 400. My favorite rifle is a browning medallion in 270 win and its whitetail sleep medicine. Living here in TX i have the opportunity to take long shots at coyote and hog. I hope the new rifle will help put a hurting on them.

So there's some background and plans. All useful advice is appreciated.

Thanks

SFP or FFP?

Not sure what that means?

The simplest way to separate the two is to say a FFP crosshair gets bigger as one turns up the magnification ring. The opposite with a SFP. Some people claim the FFP scope allows them to range something on any magnification. I would ask, "What about a laser rangefinder? They are considerably more accurate." Also I would ask, "Doesn't the crosshair of the FFP scope cover up small targets like sage rats when one turns up the magnification ring?" We know the opposite happens when one turns up the magnification ring of a SFP scope.

The Vortex PST is a very solid scope for the money. Glass isn't quite as good as higher end scopes, but it's still nice glass. I love the reticles on these. Good turrets and illumination. This would be my choice for a 600 yard scope. You can find them as cheap as $500 for a second focal plane model and full retail is $699.

The SHV is a good one too but quite a bit heavier. I really really love the Leupold VX-6 scopes although they're more than you need for 600 yards. You could find a used one for under $1000 and they have excellent glass. The factory turrets are kinda lame but they can be changed out very easily.

The Vortex PST is a very solid scope for the money. Glass isn't quite as good as higher end scopes, but it's still nice glass. I love the reticles on these. Good turrets and illumination. This would be my choice for a 600 yard scope. You can find them as cheap as $500 for a second focal plane model and full retail is $699.

The SHV is a good one too but quite a bit heavier. I really really love the Leupold VX-6 scopes although they're more than you need for 600 yards. You could find a used one for under $1000 and they have excellent glass. The factory turrets are kinda lame but they can be changed out very easily.

Are either of these scopes good for longer ranges?

The simplest way to separate the two is to say a FFP crosshair gets bigger as one turns up the magnification ring. The opposite with a SFP. Some people claim the FFP scope allows them to range something on any magnification. I would ask, "What about a laser rangefinder? They are considerably more accurate." Also I would ask, "Doesn't the crosshair of the FFP scope cover up small targets like sage rats when one turns up the magnification ring?" We know the opposite happens when one turns up the magnification ring of a SFP scope.

Most of my scopes are SFPs except for my last two (Burris Veracity 4-20x50 E1 FFP and SWFA 5-20x50 HD FFP) and I'm enjoying transitioning to it.

As far as ranging, I still use my LRF ... but it's nice to have a built-in means to range when the LRF fails. Unfortunately, I am no expert in that arena ... yet. :rolleyes:

I guess that depends on reticle design, both mine works with a small target at maximum magnification, esp. the Burris E1 as it is designed for varminting (Ballistic Plex E1).

[ame]https://youtu.be/4XgugJSqpoE?t=34[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/-T86hAJ7BfQ?t=66[/ame]

Instead of shotgunning a plethora of scopes at the op lets narrow it down.

1. Budget (established)
2. Do you expect close shots? or running shots?
3. About what power would you like on the top end?
4. Do you foresee yourself taking this gun to 1000yds and beyond?
5. Is weight an issue?
6. By chance do you already have rings? 1" or 30mm? or indifferent?
7. Reticle preference

There are a lot of scopes that fall under your $1k budget, its just a matter of what works for you.

Last edited:
TXJack,

With the idea of multiple uses you might go for a Bushnell Elite 6500 4 1/2-30X50. Mine is crystal clear throughout its power range. It has a 30mm tube and weighs about 22 1/2 ounces. When comparing it with my Minox 13X56 binoculars for low light, I set the 6500 on 13X. The scope lasted two minutes longer than the binoculars. The price for these is way south of $1,000.

Are either of these scopes good for longer ranges?
You could shoot to 1200 yards or beyond with Vortex, Leupold, Nightforce, or many others. I like the Vortex for the solid turrets and awesome reticle, and to me it's a great match for a Sendero. I have used the PST along side Nightforce and there is only a slight difference in optical quality. I prefer the weight, turrets, and reticle of the Vortex PST. If you want a scope in the $500-700 range this is a great choice. 4-16x would be good for coyotes and hogs.

The Leupold VX-6 has glass every bit as good as Nightforce and a good reticle in the TMOA. It's my favorite hunting scope due to the wide range of magnification, light weight, and excellent glass. Get some TAC dials for it and it's about perfect. You'll want to mount it on a Picatinny rail for sure since this scope has a very short piece of tube between the turrets and objective bell. This scope will cost you $1000-1200 but it gives you better glass and wider range of magnification compared to the Vortex.

What about Leupold VX3 with the M1 added?
I don't think they can install those but I could be mistaken. I had a VX-L 30mm scope that I wanted to have M3s put on and they told me it couldn't be done. I would check with Leupold before buying one. The VX-3 is a good scope for the money, I've just never found one with a reticle and turrets that I like for long range. A VX-3 CDS is hard to beat for a light weight 500 yard scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.