Savage 116 w accustock or remington 700 with hs precesion stock

I am asking for opinions from experienced long range shooters. I currently have a Remington 700 (2006) with a hs precision stock glass bedded action, barrel free floated, timney trigger at 1.5 pounds and cpi bottom metal with detectable mag in 300 wsm with handlloads that shoot pretty good. A lot of money in this rifle. My question is I was thinking on getting a Savage 116 with accustock and accutrigger in 300 win mag. ( Will handload ammo as well). The rife is going to be an all purpose longe range hunting rifle. Is the Savage a downgrade from what I have now? What say you. gun)

why waste the money you have a cal. that will do anything the 300 win mag will do and also has alot less kick.i have a rem 700 sendero in 300 wsm and i love it.also had 2 300 win mags and got rid of both

I disagree, all seven of our Remingtons wear their factory stocks, five wooden, and two "Tupperware." If you know how to free float and bed one right, it'll shoot with a custom. Half MOA is easily obtained after trigger tune, free float, bedded, and handloads. I use to not like bipods either, until I really started practicing with a Harris bipod and it works great once I got accustomed to it. The only reason I wouldn't buy a Savage is because I'm a die hard Remington man and don't care for the look and feel of a Savage. I also don't like Howas. Why buy a Japanese made rifle when there are American made ones like Remingtons that are made here by American workers and are better. Honestly, if I was cholland, I would get a new Remington 700 Long Range in .300 Winchester. They are under $700 and have a 26" heavy barrel and a B&C M40 stock.

first take your bipod and wiggle it. If it moves .001" then triangle that .001" to 100 yards. All of them move, and I own a couple Harris bipods. A Howa (or Vanguard) makes a 700 owner ask why didn't they build my gun that good. Samething for Tikka, Cooper, Sako, etc. You answered yourself with your second sentence! all that work to get a half inch gun? That's where a decent Savage varmint rig starts more often than not. The first Howa (actually a Vanguard) I shot started out with five bullet holes touching each other in a flat left to right string. The second ground went circular after a good cool down. About .60" without doing much in bullet selection or even close to the right hand loads. I liked it so well that I bought a 30-06, and my first group was 3/4" with factory Remington 150 grain corelocks. It shoots sub inch groups at 200 yards with the gun being outta the box. My MK. V shoots 3/4" groups with ease, and I've never bothered to develop a hand load for it. Just stuff I threw together to break in the barrel. My last Remington started out with five inch groups using Federal Supremes and Hornaday factory loads. I got it down to an amazing 4.25" five shot groups, and other shooter trying to make it shoot better ask me how? My 541's shot better groups in a hundred yards. (well the 541T heavy barrel is still a dog). I've had several Remington shot guns in the past and they shot OK, but always found a better shotgun to replace it with. ( I love upland bird hunting)

gary

Feenix, I have to ask you, how many of your 4,000+ posts do you feel are relevant or helpful? You have five already on this thread and I would say potentially one is helpful. You used to provide some good information for people, but lately it seems you do a lot of what you are doing here. Maybe it's time to read Leadership Rule #2 in your signature?

Sorry but which part offended you and inaccurate?

Feenix, I am not offended in any way. I was just pointing out that only one of these five posts was relevant or helpful in any way, which was a link to another thread.

Brace yourself for the opinions that you're about to receive. :cool:

I told you! :rolleyes:lightbulb

Geteducatednotopinionated_zpsbdf363d6.jpg

cholland,

You sound like a reasonable person that is open minded. Something at least prompted you to consider the alternative. If you want a real shooter out of the box with the best bang for your buck, Savage is very hard to beat ... http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/right-out-box-76570/index4.html
sticker375x360_zps62e2ed84.png

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

lightbulbSharing one's opinions is not the same as being opinionated.lightbulb

Prime example ...

lightbulbSorry my bad!lightbulb

first take your bipod and wiggle it. If it moves .001" then triangle that .001" to 100 yards. All of them move, and I own a couple Harris bipods. A Howa (or Vanguard) makes a 700 owner ask why didn't they build my gun that good. Samething for Tikka, Cooper, Sako, etc. You answered yourself with your second sentence! all that work to get a half inch gun? That's where a decent Savage varmint rig starts more often than not. The first Howa (actually a Vanguard) I shot started out with five bullet holes touching each other in a flat left to right string. The second ground went circular after a good cool down. About .60" without doing much in bullet selection or even close to the right hand loads. I liked it so well that I bought a 30-06, and my first group was 3/4" with factory Remington 150 grain corelocks. It shoots sub inch groups at 200 yards with the gun being outta the box. My MK. V shoots 3/4" groups with ease, and I've never bothered to develop a hand load for it. Just stuff I threw together to break in the barrel. My last Remington started out with five inch groups using Federal Supremes and Hornaday factory loads. I got it down to an amazing 4.25" five shot groups, and other shooter trying to make it shoot better ask me how? My 541's shot better groups in a hundred yards. (well the 541T heavy barrel is still a dog). I've had several Remington shot guns in the past and they shot OK, but always found a better shotgun to replace it with. ( I love upland bird hunting)

gary

.001? Really? I don't wiggle back and forth while I shoot so don't notice it, maybe some do but I know I don't shake around, and neither does my Harris bipod. My coyote that dropped at 285yds didn't notice that .001 when my Remington 700 .243 equipped with a Harris buckled her. Funny how you seem to have such awful luck with Remingtons isn't it??? When everyone else who uses them has success. I said 1/2inch as a reference, my Dad's .222 Remington Varmint Special puts five on top of each other and can be covered up with the back of the .222's casing, you must be wondering how? Since Remingtons are P.O.S. right? Well if you can handload and bed a rifle correctly that's what they do. Bedding a rifle and free floating it isn't hard work unless you don't know how. They all shoot under one inch out of the box, but why settle for 3/4in groups when you can get down to 1/4in? The rifle that shoots around 1/2in is my .270 Winchester, and it has a 22" sporter barrel and is all factory besides the scope, bedding, and tuned trigger. It has also been awhile since I have shot it for group, I could probably do better now since I've had a lot more practice and know the rifle better. You want to talk about all of that work for .5 inch? Then why do guys pay $4k-10k on custom rifles that shoot like that? I have been asking myself the same question. Because my Remingtons do that and they are under $700 for a new one.

I never once looked at a Howa or Vanguard and went "wow so much better than my 700!" Actually the plain, no grain wood, and Japan stamped on them made me throw them back into the rack. Why spend the same price for something that is sub-par? My cousin's Vanguard in .270 WSM is 5yrs old and is well taken care of, but with no rust or anything, the bluing is rubbing off the underside of the barrel and muzzle. Let me tell you, that thin bluing is so much more attractive than my 700s deep blue:rolleyes: I wonder where you guys buy these junk Remingtons? I use a Remington shotgun, an 870 to be exact, and can't see where my cousin's Browning or my Dad's Benelli makes up for the added cost. Never had a problem with a Remington and never will, you can keep buying your Japanese goods and I will keep supporting our country and buy AMERICAN!

Feenix, I am not offended in any way. I was just pointing out that only one of these five posts was relevant or helpful in any way, which was a link to another thread.

Not sure why anyone has to question or justify relevance of member's post count to anybody but here it goes ...

#2. Brace yourself for the opinions that you're about to receive.

Relevance: A fair warning and prepare the OP, a new member, the possibility of overwhelming response(s) from both side for pros and cons and formulate an informed decision, like I did here http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...-first-build-underway-before-too-long-136023/, except the participants including yourself (#17), are more receptive. As you can see it generated some very strong opinions, to include animosity (perception) towards a manufacturer, including non US manufacturing, etc…

#6. Get educated, not opinionated.

Relevance: A follow up to #2 for OP to filter through the posts.

You sound like a reasonable person that is open minded. Something at least prompted you to consider the alternative. If you want a real shooter out of the box with the best bang for your buck, Savage is very hard to beat http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/right-out-box-76570/index4.html

Relevance: I provided the link which comprised of responses from over 700 LRH members without my personal bias to help in decision making process.

Sharing one's opinions is not the same as being opinionated. Prime example

Relevance: I thought it was self-explanatory but I was wrong as it was misconstrued. I don't know Barrelnut well but I gave him credit where credit is due and used his response as an example. He stated his personal preference but remained un-bias and objective on his opinion.

#13. Sorry my bad!

Relevance: I'm normally pretty good in judging a person of good character, thus my comment "You sound like a reasonable person that is open minded. Something at least prompted you to consider the alternative." OP proved me wrong so I apologized.

images-2.jpg
OUT

Just to step off the opinion wagon for a post or two.......

the Accustock has a full length aluminum channel that stiffens the plastic fore end pretty good. The sling swivel is threaded to that aluminum liner. If you push the barreled action back as you tighten the action screws it will seat the recoil lug in the cutout in the aluminum. The action bottoms against the aluminum and the sides of the action block squeeze the action on either side. there may be a better factory bedding system but I can't imagine one. Every Savage Accustock in the family is a tack driver.

Remingtons in the family are hit or miss.... pun intended.

KB

.001? Really? I don't wiggle back and forth while I shoot so don't notice it, maybe some do but I know I don't shake around, and neither does my Harris bipod. My coyote that dropped at 285yds didn't notice that .001 when my Remington 700 .243 equipped with a Harris buckled her. Funny how you seem to have such awful luck with Remingtons isn't it??? When everyone else who uses them has success. I said 1/2inch as a reference, my Dad's .222 Remington Varmint Special puts five on top of each other and can be covered up with the back of the .222's casing, you must be wondering how? Since Remingtons are P.O.S. right? Well if you can handload and bed a rifle correctly that's what they do. Bedding a rifle and free floating it isn't hard work unless you don't know how. They all shoot under one inch out of the box, but why settle for 3/4in groups when you can get down to 1/4in? The rifle that shoots around 1/2in is my .270 Winchester, and it has a 22" sporter barrel and is all factory besides the scope, bedding, and tuned trigger. It has also been awhile since I have shot it for group, I could probably do better now since I've had a lot more practice and know the rifle better. You want to talk about all of that work for .5 inch? Then why do guys pay $4k-10k on custom rifles that shoot like that? I have been asking myself the same question. Because my Remingtons do that and they are under $700 for a new one.

I never once looked at a Howa or Vanguard and went "wow so much better than my 700!" Actually the plain, no grain wood, and Japan stamped on them made me throw them back into the rack. Why spend the same price for something that is sub-par? My cousin's Vanguard in .270 WSM is 5yrs old and is well taken care of, but with no rust or anything, the bluing is rubbing off the underside of the barrel and muzzle. Let me tell you, that thin bluing is so much more attractive than my 700s deep blue:rolleyes: I wonder where you guys buy these junk Remingtons? I use a Remington shotgun, an 870 to be exact, and can't see where my cousin's Browning or my Dad's Benelli makes up for the added cost. Never had a problem with a Remington and never will, you can keep buying your Japanese goods and I will keep supporting our country and buy AMERICAN!

P.T. Barnum said it right, and you just answered
gary

Just to step off the opinion wagon for a post or two.......

the Accustock has a full length aluminum channel that stiffens the plastic fore end pretty good. The sling swivel is threaded to that aluminum liner. If you push the barreled action back as you tighten the action screws it will seat the recoil lug in the cutout in the aluminum. The action bottoms against the aluminum and the sides of the action block squeeze the action on either side. there may be a better factory bedding system but I can't imagine one. Every Savage Accustock in the family is a tack driver.

Remingtons in the family are hit or miss.... pun intended.

KB

I've had three Savage 22-250's, and the worst one shoots .330" groups (5 shot). The best one shot .220" groups, and would dip into the .180" from time to time. The one in the middle was bought used, and had a lot of round thru it. I added another 500 or so, and the throat was starting to show it's ugly head. Did a barrel set back with a good recrown. Chamber was off a loaned reamer from Pindell. Added a Tubbs speedlock kit, and installed a Rifle Basix Sav 2 trigger. While I had it apart, I cut two new pillars and installed them before rebidding the recoil lug (which I ground flat and parallel). Really not as much work as it sounds. The laminate stock was messed up from over lubing anyway. Still a lot of work to pick up .080" in group size! Still I lost about 80% of the flyers, and that was most important anyway. Later I wacked off about a half inch of stock under the recoil pad, and did a light sanding job on the forend to make it as parallel to the bore centerline as I could. That helped a lot. That rifle will shoot .250" groups all day long with a lightly fouled bore, and has shot some .190" groups (not many). The first rifle was good for one sub .20" group in ten targets all the time. Now the third gun is showing some serious promise, as it started out with .30" groups out of the box. Came with a trigger set at 2lb. out of the box. Chamber is almost as tight as the one Pindell loaned me from the factory, but the throat seems to be around .050" longer. Plus it extremely close to the bore centerline unlike some other brand I own. What I don't like is the bore finish, but It's better than 85% of the rifles I've owned. The crown could stand to be lapped again, but is still better than most
gary

Isn't the title of the thread comparing a savage with ACCUSTOCK to a remington with an H-S Precision stock? Does anyone honestly think the accustock is better than an HS precision stock? There are pages upon pages of threads comparing Remingtons and Savages, pick your poison. As far as stocks go in my opinion, the HS is in another league than the Accustock

Isn't the title of the thread comparing a savage with ACCUSTOCK to a remington with an H-S Precision stock? Does anyone honestly think the accustock is better than an HS precision stock? There are pages upon pages of threads comparing Remingtons and Savages, pick your poison. As far as stocks go in my opinion, the HS is in another league than the Accustock

I totally agree and often refer to use the custom search on the top right hand corner - an excellent tool in-place.

I personally thought he was referring to the entire rifle and considering adding it to his inventory but I was wrong.

The point of the Accustock users is that it is a pretty impressive stock for no more than what it is. Is the HS better? Probably. How much better? Probably not much. When you trim and fill and diddle and fiddle and all you get is maybe 0.010" improvement then what you start with is pretty good.

But I think it takes a HS stock screwed onto a Remington to make the Remington as accurate as a Savage with an Accustock is right out of the box. But that is only a start for the Remington as the trigger etc. gets attention too.

But a Remmy with an HS Stock is about equal to or maybe just a sneeze less than a box stock (Accustock) Savage. Pour money into either and things get better fast.

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts